Waves Aural Exciter for Vocals as Send ? WOW?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i just used it as a send plugin and tested 3 acapellas and i really liked it from the sound applied around 20% - 40%, what is your opinion about this plugin? or do you have another favourite for this?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I tried it when I bought 2 years ago, but never quite got it to do anything nice - too much harsch components in there the way I did it.
Manual states importance of experimenting with levels.
I will try the send thingy maybe - thanks for the tip.

But I found Kramer HLS - Helios console EQ - and that is just lovely.
You can go crazy with mids on vocals and it just gets nicer.

Try the Master Tape as well for vocals, works fine.

At some good deal, get the Kramer TTT bundle, good stuff all of it.

lfm wrote:I tried it when I bought 2 years ago, but never quite got it to do anything nice - too much harsch components in there the way I did it.
Manual states importance of experimenting with levels.
I will try the send thingy maybe - thanks for the tip.

But I found Kramer HLS - Helios console EQ - and that is just lovely.
You can go crazy with mids on vocals and it just gets nicer.

Try the Master Tape as well for vocals, works fine.

At some good deal, get the Kramer TTT bundle, good stuff all of it.
I have to say it is easy to overdo the Aphex thing. It emulates the hardware, so this is the way this gear sounds. I usually need to experiment with Aphex modes. Normally you need to select AX mode if you use it as send effect. If you add just a tiny bit of it on the source that needs it, it sounds great.

I have Kramer TTT too and I love them :tu:
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I don't think I ever figured out this plugin. I have not tried it in years, so who is to say whether or not I could or could not get results from it. I intend to circle back around to it. Vitamin has really helped me accomplish the task of adding some "sauce" to my vocals. I'm wondering if Aphex would still be usual if using Vitamin to add some Ragu to a vocal... Guess I will have to get Aphex a good once over after reading the manual and finding some demos.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

DJbrimLo wrote:I don't think I ever figured out this plugin. I have not tried it in years, so who is to say whether or not I could or could not get results from it. I intend to circle back around to it. Vitamin has really helped me accomplish the task of adding some "sauce" to my vocals. I'm wondering if Aphex would still be usual if using Vitamin to add some Ragu to a vocal... Guess I will have to get Aphex a good once over after reading the manual and finding some demos.
I find Vitamin and Aphex do the thing differently, so there is a place for both (probably not on the same track). Vitamin sounds modern/polished to me, while Aphex has some vintage vibe.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Love it on the master bus!

It's hard for me to get a result that I like using Aphex. The results tend to sound boxed in and loses some width, to my ears. Prefer Vitamin every time. I certainly wouldn't use it on the master buss. To each his own, I guess.

Nightpolymath wrote:It's hard for me to get a result that I like using Aphex. The results tend to sound boxed in and loses some width, to my ears. Prefer Vitamin every time. I certainly wouldn't use it on the master buss. To each his own, I guess.
Yeah. It's kind of a blunt instrument in that it's limited by the features of the hardware it emulates. Something like Vitamin gives you much more precise control for things like master bus use.

Caine123 wrote:i just used it as a send plugin and tested 3 acapellas and i really liked it from the sound applied around 20% - 40%, what is your opinion about this plugin? or do you have another favourite for this?

Izotope's different exciter options are fantastic.

You could also try softube's saturation knob (free), which is great if used in small amounts.

the exciter was released during the time of Tape machines !
at each pass the tape the sound would go duller and duller

i would suggest to put it the exexciter on a channel-strip just before the track going to a track tape emu instance that goes into the Master-buss with another instance of the tape instance.

Since Audio file never degrade like a tape track buying Aphex and BB sonic whatever aren't necessary now
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I use the Aphex. Once you find that "sweet spot" it works quite well. I use it on the track of the vocal itself and not as an effect send but it's all about workflow and what you're used to. I can see advantages either way. I like it on some instruments but I suggest using it sparingly. It can get ugle really quickly.

On the topic of Vitamin. I will admit...I actually use Vitamin after Aphex just to even out the overall tone with great results then slap the slightest bit of compression just to bring out the overtones that I want to hear. For example...on a sampled keyboard...I like to bring out the resonating sound of the hammer striking the lower notes; so something like ...Aphex,..., Vitamin,..., Compressor. The "..." represent perhaps something else in the chain.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote:I use the Aphex. Once you find that "sweet spot" it works quite well. I use it on the track of the vocal itself and not as an effect send but it's all about workflow and what you're used to. I can see advantages either way. I like it on some instruments but I suggest using it sparingly. It can get ugle really quickly.

On the topic of Vitamin. I will admit...I actually use Vitamin after Aphex just to even out the overall tone with great results then slap the slightest bit of compression just to bring out the overtones that I want to hear. For example...on a sampled keyboard...I like to bring out the resonating sound of the hammer striking the lower notes; so something like ...Aphex,..., Vitamin,..., Compressor. The "..." represent perhaps something else in the chain.
This is interesting. Which kind of compresor do you prefer in this chain, or is it always different?
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I recently tried the Aphex on a restoration project. I thought it may have been a bit harsh or overkill, but it seems selecting the right setting actually ended top being quite beneficial.

Normally I'd use Vitamin in such a case, even the SPL Vitalizer, but it seems the Aphex Exciter works well in these situations too.

simon.a.billington wrote:I recently tried the Aphex on a restoration project. I thought it may have been a bit harsh or overkill, but it seems selecting the right setting actually ended top being quite beneficial.

Normally I'd use Vitamin in such a case, even the SPL Vitalizer, but it seems the Aphex Exciter works well in these situations too.
Ah, you mean noise reduction algorithms usually make audio a bit lifeless, so you try exciting it a bit? I did not think of such application of Aphex, this is nice :)
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:
Mathematics wrote:I use the Aphex. Once you find that "sweet spot" it works quite well. I use it on the track of the vocal itself and not as an effect send but it's all about workflow and what you're used to. I can see advantages either way. I like it on some instruments but I suggest using it sparingly. It can get ugle really quickly.

This is interesting. Which kind of compresor do you prefer in this chain, or is it always different?
For my inspiration chain, I use the Waves Renaissance Compressor in Opto mode, but only slightly so it's very transparent. On a completed stem, I found the CLA76, with everything in (slammed), sounds really good as an effect. I also like the CLA2A in hi-pass mode.

Sorry about the late reply, I didn't get a post notification.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Return to “Effects”