Is it advisable to recycle the PC case when building new?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One time I had a fantastic HP case with a lock and was literally built like a tank. Unfortunately I could never use it because I couldn't get it open!!!

So this is what $25 bought me today

A sturdy Tundra Workstation case, which came with

Intel Core i5-3570K at 3.40Ghz
16 GB (DD3) 1333 MHz RAM

Not being able to determine the model no of the motherboard, but it is Asus, running Asus UEFI Bios utility (build date 08.14.2013), via American Megatrends (2012) ...

Only problem it came without a HDD. I got one that I plugged in, but missing a case that will hold it inside the case.

Maybe it would be advisable to put a SSD into it instead, then I could do a quick fix and fasten the SSD to metal chassis with heavy duty duct tape...

Anyway for something like $25 thought that was a too good deal too pass on at the local trift shop

The case must be early 2000's, it even came with a sticker for Windows XP pro license (OEM though)

So this builder must have recycled his case, and input new motherboard, ram and processor only a couple of years ago, only to abandon the project, running away with the HDD...
Last edited by Numanoid on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hm, and i thought my dual core Athlon X2 would be still worth at least 25 €. :evil: Looks like i can just recycle that too, and not even be sorry...

Numanoid wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote:As for the spare parts express, if you have the storage room, SPE would appreciate all working parts ;)
I try to hang on to as much as possible, but when it comes to stuff like 512 MB RAM sticks, how can those be utilized now?

Let's say I had 8GB of them in total, which motherboard has 16 slots for RAM sticks?
I used my old 512 RAM sticks on an art project 10 years ago. It was a robot :tu:

Numanoid wrote:So this is what $25 bought me today

A sturdy Tundra Workstation case, which came with

Intel Core i5-3570K at 3.40Ghz
16 GB (DD3) 1333 MHz RAM

Not being able to determine the model no of the motherboard, but it is Asus, running Asus UEFI Bios utility (build date 08.14.2013), via American Megatrends (2012) ...

Only problem it came without a HDD. I got one that I plugged in, but missing a case that will hold it inside the case.

Maybe it would be advisable to put a SSD into it instead, then I could do a quick fix and fasten the SSD to metal chassis with heavy duty duct tape...

Anyway for something like $25 thought that was a too good deal too pass on at the local trift shop

The case must be early 2000's, it even came with a sticker for Windows XP pro license (OEM though)

So this builder must have recycled his case, and input new motherboard, ram and processor only a couple of years ago, only to abandon the project, running away with the HDD...
I missed this post. $25..wow. Lucky you. Asus is great IMO. I would just stick a SSD drive on it for the OS and then put whatever else you have laying around in it for file saves. It shouldn't be too hard to determine your motherboard, I've used them for a while..take a pick and go online.

^ https://www.asus.com/support/Article/565/ .How to find your MB number

It depends on the case. I normally buy a case and PSU separately, so no real issues for me. My cases are solid metal Antec towers with many fans, though of different generations, and they are easily reusable.

I like PC Power and Cooling Silencer series of PSUs - quiet and dependable for me so far.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

spacekid wrote:I missed this post. $25..wow. Lucky you. Asus is great IMO. I would just stick a SSD drive on it for the OS and then put whatever else you have laying around in it for file saves. It shouldn't be too hard to determine your motherboard, I've used them for a while..take a pick and go online.
I ordered an Intenso Sata III 256GB SSD now, got a good price on that also I think, ca $65

And then I just picked up a Razer DeathAdder Classic mouse for not much more than 3 bucks

I am recycling my 24 inch flat screen with HDMI input, so that I get for "free".

So look likes I will have a not too bad system up and working for less than $100 :hyper:

Numanoid wrote:
spacekid wrote:I missed this post. $25..wow. Lucky you. Asus is great IMO. I would just stick a SSD drive on it for the OS and then put whatever else you have laying around in it for file saves. It shouldn't be too hard to determine your motherboard, I've used them for a while..take a pick and go online.
I ordered an Intenso Sata III 256GB SSD now, got a good price on that also I think, ca $65

And then I just picked up a Razer DeathAdder Classic mouse for not much more than 3 bucks

I am recycling my 24 inch flat screen with HDMI input, so that I get for "free".

So look likes I will have a not too bad system up and working for less than $100 :hyper:
It was a great find. Asus doesn't usually load up the GB of RAM, unless it is either a relatively new board, or a high end board (referring to your 16GB Ram, that's a good identifying trait to look at).

:D No.
For if you do this then do you truly have a new PC?

Got the SSD disk working, installed Windows 7, I expect to get a good mileage out of this one 8)

Did a benchmark test with UserBenchMark

As a desktop it functions as a Gunboat (56% rating)

It only got an embedded Intel HD Graphics 4000 "card" so the GFX rating really pull the total down.

You really owe it to yourself to get a dedicated vid card. Doesn't have to be anything expensive, but a fanless 1gb or higher card will do the soul good.

I've heard people troll me and others saying that the built-in is fine, but it's really not.

Why?

Serious question, given the onboard gfx solutions can push triple 1080 screens with ease and score the same in benchmarks as the lowend 1GB cards, why spend the extra?

Sure if your working with 2K resolutions and up then a card is needed, but for a lot of 2D work the built in GPU's are fine and the is the added benefit of the Intel driver having by far the lowest DPC result out of all three of them.

incubus wrote:You really owe it to yourself to get a dedicated vid card. Doesn't have to be anything expensive, but a fanless 1gb or higher card will do the soul good.

I've heard people troll me and others saying that the built-in is fine, but it's really not.
Why? In my DAW, I'm using the Intel HD 4600 GPU from my processor, and it works great running 2 1920x1080 monitors. Waste of money for a DAW unless you had a specific need for it.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”