Poll: Analog EQ emulations - should there be a limited number of choices for parameters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

So which do you prefer?

Full rage - say 200Hz to 8kHz
49%
Limited set of options - say 200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz, 2kHz, 4kHz and 8kHz
51%

Total votes: 45

RELATED
PRODUCTS

If these are the choices, then I choose full range or else I will not use it. I use MEqualizer all the time and it's great. I do wish it would be possible to add a few more drag Points than the existing 6 Points, similar to FAB Pro Q. I do however solve that by adding 2 x MEqualizer on the mix bus.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Hehe exactly! :D
Anyways I'll check, we'll see...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

ATN69 wrote:If these are the choices, then I choose full range or else I will not use it. I use MEqualizer all the time and it's great. I do wish it would be possible to add a few more drag Points than the existing 6 Points, similar to FAB Pro Q. I do however solve that by adding 2 x MEqualizer on the mix bus.
Thanks! I'm afraid 6 is the number though. I believe if you need more than you are doing to much probably anyway :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Too much? Nah! As an acoustic engineer I am used to work with filters that have 44 steps in a 3kHz bandwith or 90 steps in a 7kHz bandwith :D ...but that is in the mobile phone industry. For Music however I agree that 6 Points are enough 90% of the time, but the simple work around is just to add 2 instances after each other on the mix bus, so no big deal.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Ok, so no real winner here... So far a little in favor of full range, but it's like 55:45, so I cannot say we have a true winner :o
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Ok, so no real winner here... So far a little in favor of full range, but it's like 55:45, so I cannot say we have a true winner :o
Why is it so difficult to have a button for "Authentic" and "Modern"?

Same knobs and whatnot, just changes the values to constrained stops.

hmm...55:45. If that was an election I would say there is a winner, at least in a democratic society :D ..but there is no deadline for this poll as far as I have seen, so things can still change :wink:

I'm thinking about it. But you know, there will be several eqs and every such a thing requires quite some programming. If you look at the fact that half of the people think "this is only logic thing" and the other half think the opposite, it makes one a little confused :D. I'd rather have one clean solution, then another option... There are too many options already :).

And anyways I'm curious what people think. And it looks that it is as usual 50:50 :D.
Vojtech

ATN69 wrote:hmm...55:45. If that was an election I would say there is a winner, at least in a democratic society :D ..but there is no deadline for this poll as far as I have seen, so things can still change :wink:
:D :D yeah, that's why democracy doesn't really work I guess :D
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:
ATN69 wrote:hmm...55:45. If that was an election I would say there is a winner, at least in a democratic society :D ..but there is no deadline for this poll as far as I have seen, so things can still change :wink:
:D :D yeah, that's why democracy doesn't really work I guess :D
hahaha
:lol:

Next time just skip the poll and do what ever you want, in true dictatorship fashion :hihi:

:D yeah, Apple does that for years and seems working! :D
Vojtech

i am not sure how it complicates things coding-wise, but a neat solution would, imo, be to have the pre-set frequencies, but allow setting the knob in between them with a modifier-key.

Yeah, the scaling might mean that its not ultra-precise between the higher pre-set frequencies, but it would still allow extra control without any added complexity GUI-wise.

Just a thought.

Vojtech you should definetly make it a switch or a shortcut for stepped value , even for the boost/cut dbs. if not possible then forget about stepped.. it is usefull just to help to find the frequency area and the amount of cut/boost to eq, then fine tuning wihtout any step is needed.

you could make it user configurable so people can chose the amount of db for the steps , and some presets for the frequency step choice but you really need a option to don t have any steps ! it can limit the use of the eq too much for modern needs !
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Juanjo wrote:I'd say snap to the original discrete values in the active presets, but offer continuous parameters in the edit window... best of both worlds, and consistent with MTurboComp design-wise.
+1 that would be great , and there is no eq like that yet, it would be very flexible and still give the original workflow of the hardware eqs.

lot of these eqs were designed in the past, and unless you re looking for a sound of the past, often they are not flexible enought for modern needs

djscorb wrote:
Even so, I think you'll find that there isn't a call for yet another simple EQ. Slck Eq does everything you've outlined whilst having a great preset sharing system and the slick elegant GUI that Melda plugins sadly lack. Oh, and it's free!
but there is no Q control and just 3 bands sadly also no precise stepped value of the original hardware eqs so you dont have the workflow of these eq at all, there is still room for improvement, i hope the melda one won't be that simple and become a good go to eq ( for now i use slick M that is almost perfect in term of workflow, but having a eq with hardware classic steps/curve for starting point when mixing would really be intresting if the steps can be disabeled )

Return to “Effects”