My 15 steps to a finished production. What structure (if any?) do you use when producing/arranging?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

I'm curious as to hear what structure people are using when producing.
This is my typical way whenever I get a new song:

1. Work through the song pre-recording. Work through melodies, chords, harmonics.
2. Arranging the song and deciding what direction to take it soundwise (in theory only) Making a list of references.
3. IF it's not a samplebased track here is where I would record the song.
4. Editing.
5. Work with the low end, kick and bass. Make a solid foundation.
6. Manage the vocals.
7. Mix in the rest of the instruments, first the rhythm section and then continuing with the rest starting at low frequency elements.
8. Cleaning up the song. Anything that interferes with the vocals will be removed or treated in a different way.
9. Feedback from both professionals and unproffesionals.
10. Possible changes. (Might go back and forth between 9-10 for a while).
11. Final mix.
12. Feedback from both professionals and unproffesionals.
13. Possible changes. (Might go back and forth between 12-13 for a while).
14. Mastering.
15. Sleep.

Surely such a rigid schedule will produce same-sounding music.
And are you talking about producing (new meaning) your own compositions/music, or producing (old meaning) someone else?
And what if there are no vocals? No bass? And, God forbid(!), no drums?

In short, for me, it all depends - ie, no structure. :shrug:

But I know a lot of people like structure in their work. :party: :tu:

ps
I could do with some in my life at the moment. :D

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply!

I understand what you mean and my schedule might have been a bit unclear on certain things.
All music I do contain vocals though, both my own songs and others. And also even if there's no bass playing in the track theres still a low end space that needs to be taken care of either by having some other instrument filling it out or completely removing it. And the drums, even if there are non, there's still some rhythm in there that needs to be taken care of.

And also, you felt it would create the same sounding music, for me it's the exact opposite actually since it allows me to constantly having a good overview of the project. Jumping around and base everything on the "it depends"-rule made my productions sound all the same. Mainly clustered and unfocused with to many attention seeking instruments. Also it took way too long making good melodies and hooks dissapere along the way simply because I got tired of listening to them a million times...:)

Truly, one man's method is another man's madness - and who can tell which is which? So long as the end result is good! :tu:

Thats true:)

1. Record late night jam sessions on whatever instrument strikes me at the moment.
2. Save jam session to a folder and forget about it.
3. Dig through jam session folders looking for inspiration, could be a melody, chord progression, or percussion track.
4. Once I find *that* inspirational track, I lay out markers in my DAW to represent the various phases of the song.
5. Begin building up those phases, progressing through each. At this point, I might record in more instruments, search through sample libraries, or construct something from various bits and pieces of other things.
6. Once the song is structurally complete, I start segregating tracks into groups for bus processing.
7. I mix down each bus until it can stand on its own, then do a final mixdown of all the buses together.
8. Export to audio and put it on my phone so I can listen to the track on other systems, earbuds, headphones, car stereo, etc.
9. Go back and tweak based on how it sounded out in the world.
10. Load up the exported audio back into the DAW for final tweaking/mastering before posting on the web.
11. Shake me fist at the heavens because nobody listens to my stuff. :lol:

Do you really take only one day to finish a song? It appeared so cuz your last step is sleeping. how many days or even hours do you guys take in average from melody making to mastering ???? Or how long should it take for a professional pop producer???

15 Steps seems like along workflow, I can usually work well within 4 steps

1) Sound Selection
2) Arrangement
3) Effects
4) Mixing/Automation/Recording
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

IRL303 wrote:15 Steps seems like along workflow, I can usually work well within 4 steps

1) Sound Selection
2) Arrangement
3) Effects
4) Mixing/Automation/Recording
This. Or then I just make it up as I go. :lol:

I've made a lot of production templates for different styles over time and as much as I hate to admit it, I never use them and instead, prefer to start from scratch and see where I'll end up.

KingPinn wrote:Do you really take only one day to finish a song? It appeared so cuz your last step is sleeping. how many days or even hours do you guys take in average from melody making to mastering ???? Or how long should it take for a professional pop producer???
The fastest I've ever completed a song was four days, but a month is more typical for me. But I'm just a hobbyist. :)

For me its the 15 steps but I might aswell do 4 out of it, it's just that I emphasise some aspects of the structure that are more important I think. But I could turn ite into 4 steps or 50 steps depending on where I draaw the line between whats a step and part of a step.

KingPinn:

For me it usually takes between 3 days up towards 3-4 weeks before finishing a song and I work as a pop producer. Most of the times it takes me about 1,5 week.

1) Jam
15) Finish piece of music

If I knew what was going to happen between initial idea and the finish, I'd give up making music :shrug:

15 steps does work, sometimes :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7UKu8s84S0

I aint no pro.

I play the guitar, try and sing.

Inspiration strikes.

I sequence drums and play or sequence the bass as well, maybe add some melodic accompaniment...

At this time, my kids or Mrs distract me with real life and I save the project under some random name and basically forget about it.

Cry

Fits of shame and anger.

Those are my steps.
I play guitar

poiuwert wrote:Hi there!

I'm curious as to hear what structure people are using when producing.
This is my typical way whenever I get a new song:

1. Work through the song pre-recording. Work through melodies, chords, harmonics.
2. Arranging the song and deciding what direction to take it soundwise (in theory only) Making a list of references.
3. IF it's not a samplebased track here is where I would record the song.
4. Editing.
5. Work with the low end, kick and bass. Make a solid foundation.
6. Manage the vocals.
7. Mix in the rest of the instruments, first the rhythm section and then continuing with the rest starting at low frequency elements.
8. Cleaning up the song. Anything that interferes with the vocals will be removed or treated in a different way.
9. Feedback from both professionals and unproffesionals.
10. Possible changes. (Might go back and forth between 9-10 for a while).
11. Final mix.
12. Feedback from both professionals and unproffesionals.
13. Possible changes. (Might go back and forth between 12-13 for a while).
14. Mastering.
15. Sleep.

I have been asking about this same topic, but with a slightly broader overview. Your post seems to focus more on mixing, while I am looking at everything from sound design to composition, to mixing and mastering. Your steps one and two may be 6-7 for my typical song. Can you elaborate on your method for parts 1 and 2?

Return to “Production Techniques”