30%
18%

Total votes: 390

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

Urs wrote:
lectrixboogaloo wrote:An octave cat?
A bit crazy by design, but probably the biggest sounding vintage analogue mono synth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77s3bcjO4kU
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

lectrixboogaloo wrote:So, maybe, a chance to wiggle the, erhm, cat stick?
Got a brand new Cat Stick too. You gotta have something to map the wheels on :clown:

i would vote 5 and secondly 2 (dirtier sounding)

1 has too much aliasing unlike original analog

btw : Honoured to reply to one of your posts Mr Urs , i wish you all the best with keeping on making some of the best synths and plugins around :phones:
"Proud Steinberg Cubase 8.5 User ever since Cubasis AV"

Urs wrote:
nevernamed wrote:So Urs are you saying you might model the Synthex under the Diva framework? Would you do the whole synth (oscillators, filers, envelopes etc) or just the filter kind of like what you guys did with the obx? It's exciting since that's a lovely bit of kit and would be a welcome addition to Diva.
I was toying with the idea of Synthex dual DCO and filter for Diva. Maybe do the modest thing and add the filter as extra modes to the cascade filter module, to save resources and all. We'd also add the auto glide to make up an auxiliary pitch envelope. It would make Diva capable of pretty much any sound a Synthex is famous for.

(there are a few other improvements we ave in mind for Diva, but those aren't set in stone yet either)
Understood. That's exciting. It's great to be a U-he customer. I'm thankful for all your guys' hard work. Cheers.

Urs wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Btw, is there any eta for *something done*?
That's the actual problem... I don't want to spend the rest of my life emulating gear. It has been an exciting road with the Pro-One, but even this projects seems to drag on forever. My gut feeling tells me I can cope with a maximum of one more, and that'll most certainly be of feline heritage.
Things like this often don't go straight. And what you're trying to achieve is something that nobody ever nearly made before. Look, there are no one else yet who could do it.

But it's very interesting I thought alpha was pretty solid and stable in april - I was expecting beta of rePro half year after i.e. in october.
Urs wrote:In other words, as much as I love playing a Prophet, it would drain more energy than I have if I had to do the same thing again.
You mean prophet 5 - well ay be diva 2 is the answer :) ?
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Things like this often don't go straight. And what you're trying to achieve is something that nobody ever nearly made before. Look, there are no one else yet who could do it.

But it's very interesting I thought alpha was pretty solid and stable in april - I was expecting beta of rePro half year after i.e. in october.
Hehehe, thanks, but I don't think we're the only ones. We just have the advantage that there's no marketing department that has the muscle to rush things out prematurely.

As for things not going straight - that's exactly what happened. In the meantime we've fully rewritten the oscillator a few times... the ability of Osc B to FM and PWM itself was mindblowing because all traditional DSP methods introduce some few samples latency that, when modulating itself, leads to completely wrong results. We had to develop a "zero delay feedback" solution for this that keeps aliasing below audible levels... very difficult to achieve.

We also in the meantime developed 3 stomp box type effects for Repro and we had to deal with some paradox situations that can arise when a faithful reproduction of an analogue monosynth is used in a virtual scenario. A 4th stomp box may follow.

A lot of stuff had to be done. The last 10% seem to indeed drag on over 90% of the actual development time.
Urs wrote:In other words, as much as I love playing a Prophet, it would drain more energy than I have if I had to do the same thing again.
You mean prophet 5 - well ay be diva 2 is the answer :) ?
I'd love to do Diva 2. But this time I'd prefer to announce it once it's done, not once the rumours surface.

Urs wrote: Hehehe, thanks, but I don't think we're the only ones. We just have the advantage that there's no marketing department that has the muscle to rush things out prematurely.
There are a little bit more than that. Don't be shy ;)
Urs wrote:As for things not going straight - that's exactly what happened. In the meantime we've fully rewritten the oscillator a few times... the ability of Osc B to FM and PWM itself was mindblowing because all traditional DSP methods introduce some few samples latency that, when modulating itself, leads to completely wrong results. We had to develop a "zero delay feedback" solution for this that keeps aliasing below audible levels... very difficult to achieve.
But that's reusable experience, ideas, code. It's your ip and it cost alot. Also note that research is never linear/predictable so this is nothing to wory about especially because you're speaking in past tense i.e. goal is achieved. So that's things are going relatively straight straight still.
Example of not totally not straight would be if you havrn't found such a way.
Urs wrote:We also in the meantime developed 3 stomp box type effects for Repro and we had to deal with some paradox situations that can arise when a faithful reproduction of an analogue monosynth is used in a virtual scenario. A 4th stomp box may follow.
take_my_money.jpg
Stompboxes? Are they part of repro or separate like uhbick?
Urs wrote: A lot of stuff had to be done. The last 10% seem to indeed drag on over 90% of the actual development time.
I've read about 20% of work that takes 80% of time. So nothing new here.
Urs wrote: I'd love to do Diva 2. But this time I'd prefer to announce it once it's done, not once the rumours surface.
You've already spawned some rumours, aren't you?
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:Stompboxes? Are they part of repro or separate like uhbick?
Just part of Repro. Some of them might get reused somewhere else in one form or another. One of them actually has been souped up into a new Zebra module.

As for Diva 2... there are no plans for that. I think we have enough material for .x updates for a few years, even though starting over from a clean slate would make certain things easier (the dev keyword is "refactoring").

Urs wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Stompboxes? Are they part of repro or separate like uhbick?
One of them actually has been souped up into a new Zebra module.
:hyper:

Urs wrote:
Just part of Repro. Some of them might get reused somewhere else in one form or another. One of them actually has been souped up into a new Zebra module.
Is it Z2 or Z3 module?

Note: effects is are where IMO U-he could improve. I personally prefer to see some recent in-synth effects as plugins, Bazille drive in Diva, Zrev in Bazille/Diva.
Also in-synth presets are good idea sorry for moaning :)
Urs wrote:As for Diva 2... there are no plans for that. I think we have enough material for .x updates for a few years, even though starting over from a clean slate would make certain things easier (the dev keyword is "refactoring").
Well, when I'm talking about Diva 2 I'm thinking about 2-layer analog synth with all that advancements like extra env and lfo, sequencer but still within simple analog paradigm. May be it would help to allocate time for refactoring as well.
Murderous duck!

Looks great!

Not sure on the decision with the keyboard graphics, though. It's the one thing visually that takes the feel away from the original...

Yeah, keyboard looks Volca-ish, not Pro-1'ish

Numanoid wrote:Yeah, keyboard looks Volca-ish, not Pro-1'ish
Indeed, but sill beautiful :love:

sinkmusic wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Yeah, keyboard looks Volca-ish, not Pro-1'ish
Indeed, but sill beautiful :love:
Well i like it that way. Who cares for cheesy keyboard we have enough of that already - this looks like vintage sci fi :love:

(maybe it's an option to choose between this or classic keyboard?)

Return to “Instruments”