Is dance music real music ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:Just because you don't personally like a kind of music doesn't mean it's not music.

Just because it's formulaic doesn't mean it's not music. LOTS of music is formulaic.

Claiming "EDM" is not a genre also doesn't seem reasonable. While it's not the most precise term around, when you say "EDM" people are going to have a good idea of what kind of music you're talking about.
In fairness, I like electronic dance music [EDM] a lot better when all of the electronic music genres were individually specific.

My favorites:

house [Chicago & French]
techno [Detroit]
breakbeats
electro
synthpop
synthfunk/electrofunk
italo disco
latin freestyle

I think the classic mistake is when news media outlets and/or the music industry itself try too hard to box everyone in one category and music fans allows them to get away with it. Remember what happen when the word "Electronica" was used in the late 1990s?

Well. I have a friend who referred to Skinny Puppy as "techno." To be honest, the profusion of genres in electronic dance music is really confusing to someone who doesn't keep up. I still can't tell types of trance apart, or what is really techno vs house, etc. and I've decided I don't really care.

Ideally there would be a balance between too general and too specific, but it doesn't seem like we're there.

ATS wrote:is this the dumbest question ever? hmmmm
Yes. Closely followed by "There is no such thing as talent. What do you think?". :P

I posed the question after criticism of dance music blatantly appeared in another thread, twice. Personally I enjoy listening and producing it deeply. I suppose I just wondered what the reasons were behind holding the opinion that it is not real music.

It seems those who hold the opinion are not keen on elaborating.

There is no music you don't like. There is only music you don't understand.

If it doesn't speak to you, that's ok. Move on. You're not in the demographic.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Synthman2000 wrote:I posed the question after criticism of dance music blatantly appeared in another thread, twice. Personally I enjoy listening and producing it deeply. I suppose I just wondered what the reasons were behind holding the opinion that it is not real music.

It seems those who hold the opinion are not keen on elaborating.
Then the thread title is a bit misleading. "Why do people claim dance music is no real music?" would have been more appropriate. But even then i wouldn't bother to join into the discussion, because it's a more than stupid claim in the first place. Claimed by always the same boneheaded, narrow-minded people. Especially Miss Podolski should reflect on herself (yes, i know it's a him) more frequently.

Some people would argue that opera or classical music are the only real music. It is considered to be art, etc, etc. Their opinions are colored by elitist thinking. Same thing goes for books. If you read Kafka people might be impressed but if you read a Stephen King novel then you are illiterate and a NOB. For me such things are the most plain form of BS!

I enjoy pure and simple entertainment without putting a deeper meaning or purpose to things. All rhythmic sounds can be considered to be real music. That includes native and tribal music, folk music, dance music, etc. Anyone who says anything else is plain stupid in my opinion and such people are most likely consumed by the urge to feel elitist and better than anyone else.

The best music according to me is the one that connect to peoples state of mind. Some music can move people to tears, make people happy or laugh, dance, etc. That's the best music IMHO :wink:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Synthman2000 wrote:It seems those who hold the opinion are not keen on elaborating.
I think Andy Pipkin has the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWWcOSpmJdw

No dance-music is unreal music. Think "undead" as in The Living Dead tv show. It you don't shoot it in the head, it's gonna rise and get at you again and again. However since makers of dance music appearently don't have a head, and even less a brain embedded in it, it is pretty hard to shoot them down. Thus, there is no escape. Live with it or jump from a bridge.

So, if it's good entertainment (at least), and it reaches the many, what's the problem?

The test of time is just that. Those who use it to make silly generalizations about music you like should be easy to ignore.

And imagine what it's like for those of us who spend much of our time listening to really weird shit... :cry: :hihi:

Funny thing is that you can dance to almost any kind of music.....it's the natural response to music. EDM is just a way of avoiding calling it "Disco"....since that became uncool. It would be better to call it "club" music instead of "dance" music. Oh...and yes it is real music.

BERFAB wrote:There is no music you don't like. There is only music you don't understand.

If it doesn't speak to you, that's ok. Move on. You're not in the demographic.

Cheers
-B
That's deep, man. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Only Gregorian Chant is real music. All music from the 11th century onwards is fake music.

This thread reminds me of a pop music thread I made awhile back. :lol:

But I guess it's a good question. Perhaps we need more sub-categories between "music" and "genres". More sub-categories is always great, right? :lol:

Only my favorite music classifies as "real music". It can't be any more obvious, right?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”