What are you using to meet all your saturation/coloring needs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sansamp and Decapitator. The Massey THC is fun too.

Free version of the klanghelm SDRR saturator:

http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/IVGI/IVGI.php

Vertigo VSM-3.
Very versatile, a bit more complicated than others...also weird, unique + sounding very good. ("regular price" 299.. but goes for 129 atm. Full price...nuts.)
- WonderEcho -

Softube Saturation Knob is really pretty nice. Of course, there's not many options on that plugin, but i really dig the sound of it. I also tried Sonimus Satson, but wasn't quite as fond of the sound. Maybe i didn't give it enough time though. Also tried IVGI, not as nice as the Softube one either IMO.

I use a few things. I mostly play piano and electric guitar. What pleases me the most is to have 2-3 things that are lightly saturating in a signal chain, nothing that is pushing too hard.

Lately I've been doing this:

piano source (Pianoteq or NI's Una Corda or The Giant) -->
Waves REDD or Decapitator
Waves ADT or EchoBoy (either one with a little saturation)
Reverb
Cytomic The Drop, with a LPF mostly opened up with a little resonance and the preamp driven a couple dbs
Fabfilter Pro-C (clean)
Either Waves j37 tape or Uhe Satin, with a little saturation and flutter.

When I get it right I feel like I can play the saturation is a very natural way so that it responds to dynamics and touch. With a few sources of saturation dialed in low I find the color to be right also. Using just one sounds flat. That said I'm recording a single track performance this way, not a few different instruments, so I want to fill the soundstage, not to blend.

FabFilter Saturn and Soundtoys Decapitator.

Fabfilter Saturn, Ableton's saturator, Waves tape emulation, TLS Saturated driver, all of it maxed, dimed, smashed constantly and then brickwalled and pancaked, then back through the whole chain again and again.

Out to old cassette tape, driven to absurd distortion, back ITB and through the whole signal chain again, all totally saturated and just, like, totally completely maxed out.

Maybe a transient designer after that to see if there's anything left in the white noise that might resemble a beat.

Return to “Effects”