Missing first chord trigger after returns from "loop" option (RC to Reaper as VST )

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys
Is it bug or I don't know something?
It is happening quite often.
Conditions:
1. RapidComposer is VST in Reaper (loop is "on")
2. RC is sending notes to Reaper track with any VST synth (Sylenth1, Hybrid etc)
3. First loop is OK, but when it retrigs and return to first chord second time, first chord got missed, no notes were playing. Second chord and others is OK.

If I record midi notes from RC and turn RC off, no missing notes then. Please, tell me, where should I tick or untick something.

RC 3.1b14 Windows 7

I know about this bug, it must be a rounding error or similar calculation error with audio sample counts.
It will be fixed during the weekend.
Please let me know: which tempo did you use and what is your audio sampling rate that you use in Reaper.

Thank you for the lots of really useful feedback! :tu:
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hi, Attila
Always glad to help you.
Answering your questions:
"Which tempo" - 120bpm
Audio sampling rate in Reaper - 96KHZ buffer size 128
ASIO driver - Focusrite asio

RC 3.1b14 x64

Hi Krovatin,

I am having a hard time reproducing this! I have the same ASIO driver, same sampling rate and buffer size.
What is the selection in Reaper? And which version of Reaper do you use? I checked how v5.22 handles the end of the loop, and it is correctly requesting the plug-in to render the last incomplete buffer, and the rest of the samples from the beginning of the loop when the loop length is not divisible by the buffer size. As far as I remember older Reaper versions worked the same way.
If you could send me a screenshot about the settings (and RC chords), or even better send me a simple Reaper project (I'll replace the VST instrument) that would help a lot!

Thanks!
Attila

Sorry, Attila, I took your time. It seems to me that suspect is Reaper's MIDI plugin "JS: MIDI transpose notes". When I remove it from FX chain or untick it, everything is OK.As an exsuse I was not sure it is RC first time I wrote it.

But I use this Transpose plugin a lot.

OK... Tried other MIDI plugins, MIDI router transpose and Baby sequencer. Both of them spoil first chord as well. Just attached file, as you asked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi,
out of topic but
if you are looking for the Transpose you can use "MIDI_Tool II" js fx,
it has also Velocity Scaling , in / out velocity max .... parameters which is very useful.

Thanks, Yellukhan, but MIDI tool II has the same "Second first chord loop mute" effect as well. I tried BlueArp (arpeggiator plugin) to set up as midi notes sender and inserted MIDI transpose between them. It is working fine. So, it is related somehow with Rapid Composer, probably.

Again, problem persists. Simple piano track in Reaper without any midi plugins. Connected to Rapid composer. If rapid composer has just one track, it is ok. If you add second track, first chord muted.

Hi Krovatin,

Sorry for the late reply.
Can I reproduce this with the file you already uploaded (First_chord_spoiler.zip)?
Which REAPER version do you use?

Thanks for your help!
Attila

Today I was not able to reproduce this bug. Probably, because I updated Reaper to 5.27 version.
Rapid Composer is still RC 3.1b14.
Problem is solved, I think.

Finally, good news! :) :)
Please download v3.1, it has even more fixes for hanging notes, and another fix for an imprecision during calculation.

Thanks!
Attila

I also have this; the first chord is not played back when looping.
I added the Reaper project as attachement using only Rapid Composer and Lord of the Springs a freeware in the KVR developper chalenge 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Thank you for uploading a test project, I appreciate it!
The good news is that this problem was fixed 2 days ago. To check if the fix really works I opened "RC Test Chord Loop" and it worked well. The reason for the issues is that Reaper sent weird sample offsets to the plug-in, especially when pre-count was active in Reaper, like rendering from sample position 1, which may be the result of an imprecise calculation. The first notes start at sample position 0. I inserted a workaround but the real problem is in Reaper. Note that I am using v5.22, so this may have been fixed in later versions.

EDIT: to be correct, RapidComposer also had a bug. It did not handle rendering from negative sample offsets well. So when you did not hear notes at the beginning of the playback, that was the fault of RC, and when you did not hear the first notes during loop playback, that is the bug in Reaper. I just checked the trace file to be sure.

Thanks!
Attila

Than you for nice support I'm using Reaper 5.28 right now. So we should expect an update soon I guess ?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Yes, I plan to upload a bug fix update for the stable version in the next few days.
Of course the beta version will also contain the fix.

Unfortunately I realized that the 'local sequencer' does not work at all when using the VST plug-in! I don't know how it could happen but it seems it stopped working a long time ago (possibly since v2.9). Also it was reported that chords preview does not work in the VST plug-in, so a few more problems need to be solved before uploading an update.
Many thanks for the bug report!
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”