Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

chk071 wrote: Just googled for "u-he hive crack" and it shows a lot of sites too btw. :shrug:
Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to, asking for information about, or blatantly bragging about using, warez, crackz, pirated sample content, re-printing material without permission, etc. will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44705

You're just a sock puppet with a personal axe to grind here. Nothing you state can be trusted.
Not to mention suggesting crack warez is forbidden, and worth a ban.
Be thankful I'm not a mod, or you'd be gone for that.

I can't really give any hint, but Google is not the tool for that.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish reading the manual for Hive and make my own presets. It will take time to make my final opinion. I also have Retrologue 2, LuSH 101 and Predator to compare with. I have only the demos of Sylenth and Spire to also compare, but for myself I prefer Hive rather than Sylenth or Spire.

mcnoone wrote:
chk071 wrote: Just googled for "u-he hive crack" and it shows a lot of sites too btw. :shrug:
Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to, asking for information about, or blatantly bragging about using, warez, crackz, pirated sample content, re-printing material without permission, etc. will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4705</span>

You're just a sock puppet with a personal axe to grind here. Nothing you state can be trusted.
And where did i link to warez, cracks, or pirated samples, Sherlock? You seem really obsessed now, maybe you should just make me a wedding proposal, if you decided to hang on to my leg now anyway.
mcnoone wrote:Be thankful I'm not a mod, or you'd be gone for that.
Yeah, i'm really grateful that they have reasonable mods here instead.

chk071 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4705</span>

And where did i link to warez, cracks, or pirated samples, Sherlock? You seem really obsessed now, maybe you should just make me a wedding proposal, if you decided to hang on to my leg now anyway.
mcnoone wrote:Be thankful I'm not a mod, or you'd be gone for that.
Yeah, i'm really grateful that they have reasonable mods here instead.
You don't have to link. You were asking about. Which if you read the rules, that you've now broken, you would know.

Well, i'm sure that it's against the rules too to get offensive, calling someone a sockpuppet, and calling someone's post pathetic. So what exactly are you trying to achieve here? It's nice that you love u-he so much, but, it would also nice to be able to hold a mannered, unbiased discussion here. If you don't feel like you can contribute to it in that way, why bother to post at all? :shrug: Just go to your usual hunting ground, HPC, then you can have offensive discussions with like-minded people.

chk071 wrote: it would also nice to be able to hold a mannered, unbiased discussion here. If you don't feel like you can contribute to it in that way, why bother to post at all?
Now apply that to yourself.

chk071 wrote:U-he's target audience is simply too geeky for their synths to become any popular in such genres.
I guess that's big relief for us.

twitch isn't really the center of the universe, cubase is the most popular daw on VI control and gearslutz, for instance. if you think about the economics of synth development, and then look at the fact that u-he is successful enough to have multiple employees, it's pretty clear that urs' stuff is very successful by any objective measure.

i think folks need to simmer down, emotions are running a little to hot for the stakes involved here.

on a different note, i've ordered a license for zebra 2 now. that new skin really changes everything. i'm planning to use it for all the "advanced" sounds that sylenth1 can't hack, but i honestly won't be surprised if it becomes my main synth. it's also incredibly efficient -- in most cases, faster even than sylenth1! i hope that efficiency is preserved in zebra3, or at least, it won't run slower unless you load newer/slower modules, because not having to worry about CPU is a huge boon to working quickly on largish tracks.

makes me wonder if hive's biggest competition is really just other u-he stuff :lol:
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:makes me wonder if hive's biggest competition is really just other u-he stuff :lol:
They're all gateway drugs to Zebra. You skipped a few, but that isn't a bad thing.

That said, I think we have a brilliant UI designer, much more capable than I ever was. He's been working on a few designs for Zebra and I think we're onto something for the next update (2.9 I think it is).

mcnoone wrote: Be thankful I'm not a mod, or you'd be gone for that.
Wow.. the place you mod must be a real paradise. I thought it was a requirement for mods to be able to read. Did you actually read what chk071 wrote? He didn't break any rules what so ever. :roll:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

chk071 wrote:It's nice that you love u-he so much, but, it would also nice to be able to hold a mannered, unbiased discussion here.
The original topic pretty much killed any hope for unbiased opinions. And when it comes to sounds/synths/effects, there's no such thing so why even ask for such?

As for why one thing is popular versus something else.. it always surprises me why nobody seems to consider the simplest explanation: Sheer luck.

I know that is a very unpopular stance due to how the human brain is wired, always looking for an explanation but in my opinion luck would explain these kinds of cases best. Why did Coca Cola become the dominant force? Why McDonalds? Why Walmart? It's not like there wasn't any similar competition around and the companies/products that became the most popular would never admit it was down to luck as it's in their own best interest to keep the company/product "mythical".. but luck would be the simplest explanation.

In case of a popular synth/sound/effect it's down to luck that somebody famous uses it and then accidentally or not so accidentally endorses it. Or a complete stranger who is unknown to the vast majority uses something and then suddenly becomes famous and he/she spills the beans on what was used.. boom, instant boost to the sales of that product. In the end all of these scenarios depend on luck for all participating parties. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Urs wrote:
aumordia wrote:makes me wonder if hive's biggest competition is really just other u-he stuff :lol:
They're all gateway drugs to Zebra. You skipped a few, but that isn't a bad thing.

That said, I think we have a brilliant UI designer, much more capable than I ever was. He's been working on a few designs for Zebra and I think we're onto something for the next update (2.9 I think it is).
New designs for the Zebra 2 GUI? This is promising.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

bmanic wrote:As for why one thing is popular versus something else.. it always surprises me why nobody seems to consider the simplest explanation: Sheer luck.
There's at least one experiment that agrees with this comment. Interesting stuff.
http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/04/p ... _is_r.html
Feel free to call me Brian.

luck is certainly a factor, hence the old adage "right place right time." in the case of sylenth1, it's worth remembering that your bog standard komplete user of the time (and there were many) had a great sampler in kontakt, classic fm power with fm8, sound designy stuff with absynth, and unlimited wub-wubs with massive -- but, what to do for super saws? it's perhaps hard to remember, but sylenth1 provided a great option at a time when there weren't many.

you could same the same about fl studio users of the time (i was one), sure you can do a supersaw in sytrus, but it's a PITA compared to Sylenth1. so it was pretty lucky that sylenth1 came out when it did, less lucky that hive came out just as sylenth1 was getting updated to v3.

that said, it isn't luck that gave sylenth1 a great sound, solid ergonomics, and a low cpu hit. likewise, all the luck in the world wouldn't have helped coke if it tasted like bat guano. luck matters, but it's not everything.

the differences between hive and sylenth are pretty marginal, really, they are both quite good. but to the extent that sylenth is there to fill the supersaw gap left by massive (there's a reason you see these two together everywhere) it has a slight edge on hive, in my estimation. however, both sylenth AND massive are vulnerable to something which can do what they both do, only better/easier. serum does exactly that, hence it's enormous success, despite the cpu cost.

what i wonder is whether hive could pursue the same sort of thing -- supersaws and wub wubs -- while keeping the cpu low and the workflow simple. it's already a successful synth, but that could really catapult it up the lists.

that said, i don't make wubstep, and i just discovered zebra, so i don't have much of a dog in this fight -- take my two cents with a grain of salt
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Luck?! Come on!
There is no luck! There is random possibility or probability, but this is "random".

Anyway, I remember Sylenth1 being given a high score the first time reviewed in a magazine (many years ago, sorry I don't remember the mag or issue now).
I was surprised from the high rating especially it was sure no advertisement involved as Sylenth1 was just released and being constructed with SynthEdit (the GUI, that time) speaks for itself.

I followed the Sylenth1 success (and the fight!) over the years. It wasn't at all easy!! I remember always it was been slashed here in KVR, but also there were always the defenders for it. I wasn't a defender, actually maybe I disliked it first when it comes. Anyway, it wasn't for me not now not in the past. Trance and EDM are still something new for me, never stepped in really.

That being said, I admire the attitude of the developer in spite of the all hate towards him and Sylenth1. I don't remember he was active here in KVR. He did a great job and knew exactly his target from the beginning, so that the synth is mainly was targeted as a replacement to Virus (even I read that time that many artists began to switch to Sylenth1 from Virus).

I don't see any luck in Sylenth1 success! I see a hard work and a hell of patience. And it is lost fight from the beginning for Hive! It was a mistake from the beginning to market it as a Sylenth1 killer!
The nearest one to Sylenth1 is Spire. It is also targeted from the beginning towards the same audience of Sylenth1. Maybe it could take some share from Sylenth but I don't think it surpasses it in its success. Still, I also admire Spire. It is very active in development and stepping up with time.

Now, for Hive, it could be a competitive, but man! even the first presets is not Trance oriented (I mean as a whole). Most of the presets (although great really and I love them), are not that convincing that this will be a replacement for Sylenth (let alone a killer!).

Personally, I like Hive more than Sylenth1 and Spire because it can do more for my music. The main advantages of Hive IMO is the simplicity and how fast you can make a sound (or basic sound). It seems it lacks a lot of features (I didn't notice FM or Ocs sync or RM, I hope I'm wrong). It can be a second synth to learn after a very basic one like Synth1 or Charlatan. It has a very nice workflow and the whole thing with minimum tabbing :) Now, the sound. It has a very good sound to excellent. It can do most everything bread and butter, but after comparing it to LuSH 101 (I know it is not fair! because this can compete with Diva!) and Retrologue 2, I still like LuSH and Retrologue 2 more than Hive. I also like Predator slightly more than Hive.

So, Hive is my fourth synth to go for now while ACE and Reaktor (with its blocks and synths like Razor, Monark ..etc) are in the fifth and sixth places approximately.

Return to “Instruments”