Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

For anyone wondering the differences between the 'late' (default) and 'early' model revisions, here are the key differences in the 'early' model, according to Richard:

• All Pulse widths are different, most notable on the Narrow Pulse.
• Triangle, Sharktooth and Sawtooth differ marginally.
• The already large filter range is yet wider.
• A filter sweep downwards at full resonance will go slightly lower before the resonance dies off.
• Filter and VCA are marginally different.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Assuming there really is an audio difference between the 50 and 60 Hz setting, I was surprised that so many of the patches used the 50Hz.
We actually have 50Hz here, but afaik in the USA where the minimoog was designed if not made it is primarily a 60Hz country.
Unless the switch came after the patches were made and 50Hz is the default setting.
rsp
sound sculptist

It's not a gimmick, but I honestly can't hear a difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz power supply.

Like this better than Monark. Diva- I am always bewildered why people would deny themselves such an incredible tool due to it supposedly being high on the CPU juice. With the Multicore button enabled I can play dense chords with less than 10% on the ASIO meter.

I've been playing with the demo a bit more, and I'm going to have to retract my last comment. I'm preferring this to Monark now as well. :tu:
You are currently reading my signature.

quantum7 wrote:Like this better than Monark. Diva- I am always bewildered why people would deny themselves such an incredible tool due to it supposedly being high on the CPU juice. With the Multicore button enabled I can play dense chords with less than 10% on the ASIO meter.

what do you mean " supposedly", even the uhe site says "Attention!
DIVA is *extremely* demanding on CPU
Despite exploiting all conceivable opportunities to make Diva run as fast as possible, the level of analogue simulation we put into her simply requires extraordinary CPU power. Even if the multicore/multi-threaded option works fine on your system, please consider "freezing" tracks to lower the burden she puts on your CPU. After all she's a Diva, and Divas have DEMANDS!

Finally – Diva's demo restriction is a mild crackling sound that appears at irregular intervals."
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:
quantum7 wrote:Like this better than Monark. Diva- I am always bewildered why people would deny themselves such an incredible tool due to it supposedly being high on the CPU juice. With the Multicore button enabled I can play dense chords with less than 10% on the ASIO meter.

Despite exploiting all conceivable opportunities to make Diva run as fast as possible, the level of analogue simulation we put into her simply requires extraordinary CPU power. Even if the multicore/multi-threaded option works fine on your system, please consider "freezing" tracks to lower the burden she puts on your CPU. After all she's a Diva, and Divas have DEMANDS!

Finally – Diva's demo restriction is a mild crackling sound that appears at irregular intervals."
I guess my CPU is only around 20 months old, so perhaps Diva is especially demanding on older CPU's. Even when my older CPU used more juice with Diva, I still found it worth the ASIO price. I'd rather bounce a fantastic sounding instrument often than use a lesser-sounding instrument just because it is easy on the CPU.....but then again, I'm used to being a slow-poke writer. :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Even 4-voice polyphony :tu:
The user interface looks appealing, luckily they even did away with those irritating swivel switches, whose status is hard to tell.

A suggestion: expand the Polyphony knob so that from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock one can continually set the stereo for monophonic sounds (12 o'clock full stereo, 3 o'clock full mono). Sure, some DAW's have such controls, but it would be nice to have it in the synth.
With the Poly and Unison mode the "Width" knob controls the stereo width (knob full left is like al voices at the center). With the Mono mode of course this does not work.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

This synth sounds for me better than Diva. There is some instant Moog sound without effects I only heard with Monark.
I think this was a good decision to add Unison and 4x polyphony.

But.. there is no velocity implemented or is this somewhere hidden?

Just curios how many have actually played a Moog...?
(not samples or emulations)

at work atm, sorry to ask, but is this also stereo?
autheticity aside, why monark is only mono in vst area is stupid, we should use the modern technology and they should have implemented a stereo button in the configs.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

A lot of work seemed to be invested to get the waveforms and also the Noise in The Legend as close to the real thing as possible. There also seem to be differnces between the Late and Eerly models/revisons (both available in The Legend).
The differences should become more obvious when using those with FM or filter FM as there even small differences in the waveforms could result in bigger changes of the resulting sound.
With the pink noise when used for e.g. filter FM the difference between The Legend and Monark seems to be quite obvious and i prefer the result i get from The Legend.

BigTone in his long post in this thread also mentioned that getting the Noise properly, especially in use with FM, was one of the more difficult tasks.

There also seems to be a difference in the pulse width of the Pulse waveforms. Those in Monark seem to be a bit broader/wider while the difference seems to be bigger with the "Narrow Pulse" (the last waveform in the selection). I had compared sample of both. In comparison to samples of the variable Pulse in my Novation Bass Station II the pulse widths of the Square, Medium Pulse and Narrow Pulse in teh Late model of The Legend seem to correspond to around 50% PW, 25% PW and 12 % PW (so each one the double of the next one).
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Caine123 wrote:at work atm, sorry to ask, but is this also stereo?
autheticity aside, why monark is only mono in vst area is stupid, we should use the modern technology and they should have implemented a stereo button in the configs.
The Mono mode could not really be stereo as it is a single voice but the 4-voice Poly and 4-voice Unison modes have a dedcicated "Spread" knob to add stereo width to the voices (teh knob at minimum is all voices at the center and at maximum there is maximum stereop spread (while for me the maximum is usually too much).

To avoid confusions: The audio output of the plugin is always in stereo, just the panning of the 4 voices is variable with the Poly and Unison mode.
Ingo Weidner

ATS wrote:

The warning is from 2012. With multicore button on diva is not more demanding then The Legend or even other modern vst instruments like Serum when playing chords. At least on core i7 4790k wich is considered a modern CPU.

Return to “Instruments”