3%

Total votes: 114

RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:
foosnark wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Minimoog D (new) = $3500
Deep Mind 12 = $1000
Paying for a Moog, vs. paying for a Behringer.

MicroBrute ($250)
Bass Station 2 ($350)
MiniBrute ($400)
MS-20 Mini ($450)

etc.
Arturia MatrixBrute = $2000
Deep Mind 12 = $1000
I think you're proving his point. Spot the anomaly:

MicroBrute $250)
Bass Station 2 $350
MiniBrute $400
MS-20 Mini $450
Arturia MatrixBrute $2000
Deep Mind 12 $1000

Nearly 100 votes. Thanks :)

66% can see merits for monophonic synthesizers. 33% remain that can possibly be convinced in the future. Or not.

Sidenote: This poll is mainly for software synths, though hw synths can have their place too. But not all the place.

Monophony has a big place in music (regardless of the genre) There are a lot of monophonic instruments, beginning with the human voice, but also flutes, saxophones or violins. And synthesizers, of course.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:66% can see merits for monophonic synthesizers.
I find that very encouraging :)

Lotuzia wrote: ... There are a lot of monophonic instruments, beginning with the human voice, but also flutes, saxophones or violins. And synthesizers, of course.
Violins are NOT monophonic :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Lotuzia wrote: ... There are a lot of monophonic instruments, beginning with the human voice, but also flutes, saxophones or violins. And synthesizers, of course.
Neither is a monophonic 2-oscillator synth then :-p

Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:
It depends, A monophonic 2-oscillator synth can only play one note at a time (ot two notes, in a fixed harmonic interval, if one oscillator is detuned - but these are not independent). A violin can play up to four notes (kind of...), and definitely two full polyphonic notes. So, it's true duophonic, and a kind of four-voice polyphonic.
Fernando (FMR)

Monophonic instruments are a fundamental part of music. Your voice is monophonic (and throat singing doesn't change that at all), when you whistle it's monophonic, wind instruments are monophonic, a single string is monophonic and so on.

Monophony is a characteristic, a trait of an instrument. And monophonic synths do something really cool when they transition from a note to another, and we'll always want to option to have that.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

fmr wrote:
Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:
It depends, A monophonic 2-oscillator synth can only play one note at a time (ot two notes, in a fixed harmonic interval, if one oscillator is detuned - but these are not independent). A violin can play up to four notes (kind of...), and definitely two full polyphonic notes. So, it's true duophonic, and a kind of four-voice polyphonic.
...of course there's the proviso that a polyphonic synth is almost always an architecture where the voices are completely separate and discrete from one another, which is not the case with an acoustic instrument where eg the 'exciter/resonator' components (eg strings) are actually coupled to each other via a body acting as an amplifier with its own resonances etc, making the character of, say, a violin or guitar closer to paraphonic than polyphonic in certain ways.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So your point is that pretty much the most sophisticated modern analog monophonic synth ever, costs only twice as much as the cheapest polyphonic analog synth ever?

Okay.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
foosnark wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Minimoog D (new) = $3500
Deep Mind 12 = $1000
Paying for a Moog, vs. paying for a Behringer.

MicroBrute ($250)
Bass Station 2 ($350)
MiniBrute ($400)
MS-20 Mini ($450)

etc.
Arturia MatrixBrute = $2000
Deep Mind 12 = $1000
I think you're proving his point. Spot the anomaly:

MicroBrute $250)
Bass Station 2 $350
MiniBrute $400
MS-20 Mini $450
Arturia MatrixBrute $2000
Deep Mind 12 $1000
Someone said they expect mono synths to be cheaper... and it is not always the case... I only pointed out 2 examples... there are more such as the Dominion 1 and so on.

Also, the Elektron Analog 4, Analog Keys and Rytm and Korg Minilogue are all cheaper than some monosynths.

It's similar for softsynths btw. Monark is more expensive than many polyphonic sw synths :shrug:

For hw, quality of components, sliders, knobs etc can make great differences. For software it's mainly R&D and quality and care put into engines, ergonmy, and ... innovations. ( All this can count for hw too btw)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Urs wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:66% can see merits for monophonic synthesizers.
I find that very encouraging :)
For good reasons. Me too :wink:

Return to “Instruments”