Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Elektronisch wrote:
ATS wrote:
quantum7 wrote:Like this better than Monark. Diva- I am always bewildered why people would deny themselves such an incredible tool due to it supposedly being high on the CPU juice. With the Multicore button enabled I can play dense chords with less than 10% on the ASIO meter.

what do you mean " supposedly", even the uhe site says "Attention!
DIVA is *extremely* demanding on CPU
Despite exploiting all conceivable opportunities to make Diva run as fast as possible, the level of analogue simulation we put into her simply requires extraordinary CPU power. Even if the multicore/multi-threaded option works fine on your system, please consider "freezing" tracks to lower the burden she puts on your CPU. After all she's a Diva, and Divas have DEMANDS!

Finally – Diva's demo restriction is a mild crackling sound that appears at irregular intervals."
The warning is from 2012. With multicore button on diva is not more demanding then then The Legend or even other modern vst instruments like Serum when playing chords.

Why don't they take down the warning then?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:Why don't they take down the warning then?
Because we're honest about it.

(but it's a good point, we'll evaluate the options for a more appropriate message)

Urs wrote:

(but it's a good point, we'll evaluate the options for a more appropriate message)

seriously? you are saying other devs aren't being honest?

from our discussion

"he warning is from 2012. With multicore button on diva is not more demanding then then The Legend or even other modern vst instruments like Serum when playing chords."

So would say this is true?

4damind wrote:But.. there is no velocity implemented or is this somewhere hidden?
It doesnt make sense on a minimoog since it has its own sorta 'pseudo-velocity' thing going.

(The faster you hit keys consecutively the more the VCF opens, some models allegedly have this for the VCA too.)

So in order to make regular velocity work properly you would have to defeat the minimoogs own thing first, otherwise they would interfere with each other. Technically certainly possible, but not necessarily desirable since character will be lost.

ATS wrote:
Urs wrote:

from our discussion

"he warning is from 2012. With multicore button on diva is not more demanding then then The Legend or even other modern vst instruments like Serum when playing chords."

Are you trying to troll me? How is saying "we are honest about the CPU usage of Diva" implying that other developers are not honest? Please explain!

Ingonator wrote:
Caine123 wrote:at work atm, sorry to ask, but is this also stereo?
autheticity aside, why monark is only mono in vst area is stupid, we should use the modern technology and they should have implemented a stereo button in the configs.
The Mono mode could not really be stereo as it is a single voice but the 4-voice Poly and 4-voice Unison modes have a dedcicated "Spread" knob to add stereo width to the voices (teh knob at minimum is all voices at the center and at maximum there is maximum stereop spread (while for me the maximum is usually too much).

To avoid confusions: The audio output of the plugin is always in stereo, just the panning of the 4 voices is variable with the Poly and Unison mode.
That is what I meant. Some DAW's don't have a mono-stereo control, so one has to use an external plugin like this one:
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... reocontrol
Since that new synth will be used for basses a lot, it might make sense for the spread knob to work for the monophonic mode as well as the bass should often be straight in the center.

Urs wrote:
ATS wrote:
Urs wrote:

from our discussion

Are you trying to troll me? How is saying "we are honest about the CPU usage of Diva" implying that other developers are not honest? Please explain!
Not at all but if you read the whole conversation it sounds just like it. The reason is someone was saying that DIVA is no more CPU intensive than The Legend and several other synths. Then I ask why you all don't take down the message and you say it's because we are honest about it. This totally implies others aren't, in this context.

Anyhow I was wondering if this is true, that DIVA is not as CPU demanding as The Legend?

ATS wrote:
Urs wrote:
ATS wrote:
Urs wrote:

from our discussion

Not at all but if you read the whole conversation it sounds just like it. The reason is someone was saying that DIVA is no more CPU intensive than The Legend and several other synths. Then I ask why you all don't take down the message and you say it's because we are honest about it. This totally implies others aren't, in this context.

Anyhow I was wondering if this is true, that DIVA is not as CPU demanding as The Legend?
No! For me, it means they have measured it with their own (different) computers and cpus, and reached to the conclusion that it can be cpu hog. How that is related for this year processors? I don't know. Diva was heavy when using specific oscillators and filters. Also the divine mood is cpu hog of course!

The Legend is less than Monark with my i5 cpu.

ATS wrote:Not at all but if you read the whole conversation it sounds just like it. The reason is someone was saying that DIVA is no more CPU intensive than The Legend and several other synths. Then I ask why you all don't take down the message and you say it's because we are honest about it. This totally implies others aren't, in this context.
It only implies this if you believe that the reason they put this warning up - in 2012, mind - was so that they could use it in the future as a means of disparaging the honesty of other developers who create CPU intensive plugins and don't put a similar warning up on the relevant product page.

And this is a very good emulation indeed. Whether I need a more accurate minimoog impersonator than the ones I already have is another question...

EnGee wrote:The Legend is less than Monark with my i5 cpu.
Then it might use less CPU than Diva. I think Monark uses roughly the same CPU as Diva does for a single voice at Minimoog architecture.

I haven't tried Legend, but if 4 voices really don't use more than 1, then I guess they did a great job.
ATS wrote:Not at all but if you read the whole conversation it sounds just like it.
The whole conversation was running into fallacies. Mentioning our note on our website was implying that our software has some kind of defect or disadvantage. But when other developers don't mention the CPU usage of their software, this doesn't imply their dishonest, nor does it imply that their software is more CPU efficient than ours.

I think Richard is very good at optimizing, Dune 2 runs well even on my old AMD processor, despite 0df filters.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think Richard is very good at optimizing, Dune 2 runs well even on my old AMD processor, despite 0df filters.
Yeah, all his stuff is class for that... Dune 2 is very efficient.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Urs wrote:
EnGee wrote:The Legend is less than Monark with my i5 cpu.
Then it might use less CPU than Diva. I think Monark uses roughly the same CPU as Diva does for a single voice at Minimoog architecture.

I haven't tried Legend, but if 4 voices really don't use more than 1, then I guess they did a great job.
I have just wanted to be sure, so I started Reaper and those the are the readings (of Real Time processing):

Monark is around 8%
Legend with Mono without effects around 6%
Legend with Poly4 or Unison without effects around 10%

This is by playing a bass line (not slow one).

As has been pointed out the Diva's cpu warning was awhile ago (cant believe its four years ago.. wonder what clement has been up to)... computers have in general become faster, more bang for the buck and also diva went thru i think at least two significant optimisations since then. I really think the warning should be removed.

I definitely dont like this better than Diva on the whole.. I do find it truer to a minimoog than diva (from my recollection of playing more modern minimoogs in music stores and listening to old skool records), but better than diva? Naw....more colours for my palette
Rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”