Waves Gold, Silver or Musicians 1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm thinking about picking up a Waves bundle UK pricing is currently Musicians 1 £45, Silver £95, Gold £159.

The plugins that I really want are:

Doubler
S1 Stereo Imager - (I'd be very interested in hearing alternatives for this plugin)

The plugins that I think would be great to have and think could be pretty good value at the Gold or Silver prices are:

C1
C4 Multiband Compressor
MondoMod
PS22 Stereo Maker
L1 Ultramaximizer
SuperTap
MaxxBass
MetaFlanger
UltraPitch

The plugins that I have and use lots are:

ReaEQ - go to
PuigTec Waves - character
LP10cm DDMF - linear phase
TDR Nova - fixing odd problems

TB_Compressor ToneBoosters
Summit Audio TLA-100A Softube
ReaXcomp
TB_BarricadeCM - ToneBoosters

EchoBoy Sound Toys
ReaDelay

Stereo Room 2016 Eventide
ReverberateCM

Mutronics Mutator Softube

Acon Digital Multipy Acon Digital
MAutopan Melda Production
MFlanger Melda Production
MVibrato Melda Production
GGrain GVST

Saturation Knob Softube
RP_DistortCM Rob Papen
JS: Exciter
TB_Ferrox ToneBoosters
TB_TimeMachine ToneBoosters

FreeG Sonalksis
SPAN Voxengo

So what do you think Gold or Silver? Or Musicians 1 and some other developers work?

Thank you!

Musicians 2 on Black Friday - paid $18 for it

R_A wrote:Doubler
An okay plugin - one of the most replaceable imo.
R_A wrote:S1 Stereo Imager - (I'd be very interested in hearing alternatives for this plugin)
A goodie. Alex Hilton A1StereoControl is a pretty good alternative.
R_A wrote:C1
Irreplaceable to me - one of the few itb comps that doesn't destroy the 3d quality of a sound (imo)
R_A wrote:C4 Multiband Compressor
One of the better mb comps - certainly will add to your current plugins because it's much, much better than reaXcomp - sounds completely different. ReaXcomp is okay'ish for minor repair jobs but if you want to use it on your master it will flatten your mix in no time. C4 can really give you some vibe if you use it carefully. Incidentally C4 is based around the C1 compressor - you can get a very similar effect if you use C1 with the js splitter/joiner plugins in Reaper to build your own mb comp..
R_A wrote:PS22 Stereo Maker
Never found a use for this..
R_A wrote:L1 Ultramaximizer
I use it as a channel limiter - plenty of better options these days for master buss limiting..
R_A wrote:MaxxBass
Great plugin.. but everyone already knows that ;)

Just thought I would throw a few of my opinions of these plugins out there..
R_A wrote:ReaEQ - go to
Nowt wrong with it but I find I never use it now - Ren EQ and Q10 have replaced 99% of my eq duties. They are very different from each other. Ren EQ is a very nice sounding eq that doesn't suffer from nyquist cramping and Q10 is for more surgical work - between them I get most things done.
R_A wrote:TDR Nova - fixing odd problems
No direct repalcement in Waves - although C1 does have a sidechain that can get you some of the way to what Nova does.
R_A wrote:TB_BarricadeCM - ToneBoosters
Cleaner than L1 - will get you a louder mix too.. but if you're going for loudness go for a soft clipper instead ;)

Go for Gold if you have the cash.. that's my advice. you get the H comp/delay and the V series comp/eq's as well as other stuff.. :tu:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
R_A wrote:Doubler
An okay plugin - one of the most replaceable imo.
Thank you for your detailed reply. What do you think replaces Doubler? I've been demoing it and love what it does to my old Korg Delta.

I'm just not sure that I would use the H comp/delay and the V series comp/eq's.... I'll have to have a good play with them to confirm.

I respectfully disagree with do_androids_dream about the Waves doubler.

I have found this thing to be essential, especially for guitar and synth leads. Tons of presets to get you going with just about any kind of setup (nicely labelled too). But more than that, the interface is very intuitive, and, AFAIK, one of the few of its kind that allows really precision tweaking. I own much of the chorus/phase/doubler product out there at the moment, but this thing really gets you where you're going in very short order. (It's also better-and much less complicated-than many of Waves' own doubler/chorus products, IMHO.) YYMV of course.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:I respectfully disagree with do_androids_dream about the Waves doubler.
What I mean is that it's a basic delay/pitch variation plugin - which can be achieved with many other plugins. In fact, really, it's the standard way you 'make' a chorus effect. And, it's not very mono compatible so there's that too. Doubler is usually my last port of call for widening things. I use Boz Digital sidewidener or even the Triangle Chorus rack in amplitube 3. I used to use bx_stereomaker too - which is fully mono compatible (as is sidewidener).

R_A wrote:I'm just not sure that I would use the H comp/delay and the V series comp/eq's.... I'll have to have a good play with them to confirm.
It's taste really... I personally didn't really like V comp but H delay is nice as is H comp. One big bonus with gold is the inclusion of Vitamin and Waves Tune LT - both great plugins. The full GTR3 is in there too if you're a guitarist. I personally sold my Gold license and I'm currently subscribing to the silver bundle because pretty much everything i used from gold is in there (apart from C4 but I can effectively build it with the js plugins I mentioned earlier).

Double drop...
Last edited by R_A on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

do_androids_dream wrote: It's taste really... I personally didn't really like V comp but H delay is nice as is H comp. One big bonus with gold is the inclusion of Vitamin and Waves Tune LT - both great plugins. The full GTR3 is in there too if you're a guitarist. I personally sold my Gold license and I'm currently subscribing to the silver bundle because pretty much everything i used from gold is in there (apart from C4 but I can effectively build it with the js plugins I mentioned earlier).
Thanks! I work on ambient / classical music. Session musicians and vocalist typically have passed through UK higher music education, but I can perhaps see some applications for Vitamin and Tune LT.

What is the rough difference in pricing for WUP between Gold and Silver? I'm technically competent and on a Windows computer and typically only upgrade my OS every eight years or so; therefore I may only have to pay WUP once every 5 to 8 years.

I agree C1 is great - it's solid and just works. You get Gate and Sidechain versions too.

The coolest thing about these ancient Waves plugins is they are ridiculously CPU-friendly. No point keeping them "WUP"'d either because Waves have never really updated any of them since MC Hammer was cool.

I don't have Gold but you can sometimes find it for around $120 in the Buy & Sell, even as low as $100. There are also occasions where Waves put on a big sale and at the same time hand out a discount voucher ($50 last time) bringing it down to around $150 new. If you can wait (Black Friday is getting closer and Xmas on the horizon) then hold out for a sale.

Thanks guys - This thread has been very helpful in organising my thoughts about how I want to grow my plugin collection.
Last edited by R_A on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C4 is very bloody useful for many situations. Maxbass is great for helping you to make your lows sound more audible for smaller speakers and add energy to them. L1 is a classic limiter that even Bob Katz still uses himself from time to time.

MondoMod, SuperTap, MetaFlanger are great creative plugins I still see some of the icing legends use on occasion.

C1 I don't know much about, but I've heard many speak highly of it.

PS22 Stereo Maker & UltraPitch I really don't know anything about but I'm sue there are vids or demos out there you can check out to get a better idea.

Cheers for your thoughts Sam.
Last edited by R_A on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buy gold you'll have all the plugins you could ever need to make music.

thats what the pros used+ gold has some New plugins

Also i suggest buying you Waves plugins here

http://everyplugin.com/catalogsearch/ad ... cturer[]=6

and here

http://plugindiscounts.com/1_waves

Those 2 websites Usually have the best prices out there.

forget about the Waves own website and the Wave-universe website.
..Those 2 are always more expensive
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Gold is from the 1990s
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”