Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't agree at all. I think GUI's are the weakness of U-he synths. They may look nice at first, but they are poor in terms of ergonomics, which however is much more important than looks.
At normal size I can't read Diva's labels, and when I increase the GUI so that I can read them, the GUI is bigger than my monitor, which causes all kinds of problems.
LOL, the font in Diva is about 50% larger than the font in Sylenth1. You're grasping at straws here.

Regarding the GUI, I've found in the U-He synths that when I drag the window of the plugin, the graphics feel heavy or sluggish. Does not happen with other synths.

I don't know about size relative to Sylenth1, but I can't read the labels on Diva's lower red panel, nor the values in all those fields. Maybe it is a contrast and font issue.

Yorrrrrr wrote:Regarding the GUI, I've found in the U-He synths that when I drag the window of the plugin, the graphics feel heavy or sluggish. Does not happen with other synths.
Same here, never had such issues with Sylenth1 or the big GUI of Predator.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't agree at all. I think GUI's are the weakness of U-he synths. They may look nice at first, but they are poor in terms of ergonomics, which however is much more important than looks.
At normal size I can't read Diva's labels, and when I increase the GUI so that I can read them, the GUI is bigger than my monitor, which causes all kinds of problems.
I don't care about looks much... but ergonomics and workflow matters to me a lot. That is (IMO) one of the strengths of u-he synths. They are easy to use and work with. As good or better than anything else I have used. Zebra is so impressive how easy it is to use and understand. Hive is the fastest GUI I have ever used of any synth with that level of functionality. ACE, Bazille, Diva... all exceptionally well thought out with excellent workflow.

pdxindy wrote:
I don't care about looks much... but ergonomics and workflow matters to me a lot. That is (IMO) one of the strengths of u-he synths. They are easy to use and work with. As good or better than anything else I have used. Zebra is so impressive how easy it is to use and understand. Hive is the fastest GUI I have ever used of any synth with that level of functionality. ACE, Bazille, Diva... all exceptionally well thought out with excellent workflow.
Really? i find it to be the complete opposite here. Love the sound, but hate the workflow. Thats why they never get used much.

Here also - Zebras GUI is one of the worst Ive seen and used! Upper part of Diva is ok, but lower is terrible and the knobs and font is not so good either. Hive GUI is a mess, but mostly because of blue color and weird shapes. But great sounding synths...Hoping for GUI updates. :)

The Massive Modular skin for Zebra will change yo life, fam:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=456163

I actually think U-he's stuff is generally very ergonomic, assuming you want access to the ninth level of synth power. Hive was the first stab in the other direction, and it's very commendable in that regard, it's just not quite at Sylenth1's level.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

AnX wrote:
pdxindy wrote: I don't care about looks much... but ergonomics and workflow matters to me a lot. That is (IMO) one of the strengths of u-he synths. They are easy to use and work with. As good or better than anything else I have used. Zebra is so impressive how easy it is to use and understand. Hive is the fastest GUI I have ever used of any synth with that level of functionality. ACE, Bazille, Diva... all exceptionally well thought out with excellent workflow.
Really? i find it to be the complete opposite here. Love the sound, but hate the workflow. Thats why they never get used much.
I don't understand how someone could hate the workflow of Hive... it is so freakin fast it is just a joy to work with.

Also, I think Zebra is outstanding how effectively it makes the vast array of tools and modular design still fluid and usable.

Then you have lots of useful general functionality across synths...

like double-click to reset parameters
shift-click for fine control
mouse-wheel scrolling
sharp clear GUI scaling
undo/redo
support for MPE (still needs a bit of work there)
an impressive midi learn capability. You can define how it responds with options for continuous, encoders, 7 or 14 bit, integer steps, octaves, semitones, etc. How many synths are giving you that sort of control for use with midi controllers?

U-he is at the forefront of workflow, and effective gui implementation...

aumordia wrote:The Massive Modular skin for Zebra will change yo life, fam:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=456163

I actually think U-he's stuff is generally very ergonomic, assuming you want access to the ninth level of synth power. Hive was the first stab in the other direction, and it's very commendable in that regard, it's just not quite at Sylenth1's level.
Looks a bit like an alternative skin for Sylenth1, I think it is even included in v3.

Q: What's a camel?

A: A horse designed by a committee.

Q: Okay, but what's a Jackson Pollock?

A: A synth GUI designed by a committee.

Wow! What subjective! :lol:

I love Hive's GUI and design (not only like)! I think it's the best out there. The futuristic look is wonderful and very pleasant to my eyes. Yes, the fonts contrast with the small hives in the background is not that good, but when enlarging the GUI, I can read it very well.

The workflow is from the fastest I have ever seen. There are presets for lfo and env with user's ones of course. Even the modulation cells have presets! That will save so much time! The only annoying thing is when you click the name, the presets window appears. There is no need for that! There is already arrows for this function ;)

I just finished the manual. Very good manual with nice tips in the end :tu: I just hope for future additions like sync osc, FM, RM and comb filters without increasing the CPU usage that much please.

EnGee wrote:Wow! What subjective! :lol:

I love Hive's GUI and design (not only like)! I think it's the best out there. The futuristic look is wonderful and very pleasant to my eyes. Yes, the fonts contrast with the small hives in the background is not that good, but when enlarging the GUI, I can read it very well.

The workflow is from the fastest I have ever seen. There are presets for lfo and env with user's ones of course. Even the modulation cells have presets! That will save so much time! The only annoying thing is when you click the name, the presets window appears. There is no need for that! There is already arrows for this function ;)
Whether someone likes a particular color is subjective... effective gui implementation is not entirely subjective.

Some features just make the workflow faster.
Drag-n-drop modulation works better than hunting through drop down menus.
Undo/Redo is a big workflow improvement. Plenty of synths do not have undo/redo and what a pain it is after getting used to having it!
etc... There are lots of useful refinements to u-he GUI's

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know about size relative to Sylenth1, but I can't read the labels on Diva's lower red panel, nor the values in all those fields. Maybe it is a contrast and font issue.
It's definitely a problem with your screen dude. Buy a decent monitor.

Return to “Instruments”