best introductory synth for a trained ear?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - first time poster to KVR but over the years I've found myself here a few times.

Can anyone recommend a vst synth that's really good for learning the basic concepts? I'm sure I can read up what "FM" really means, what a VCA is and whatnot but I need something that I can establish some tactile control over with on a midi controller and explore using some newly acquired piano skills.

I need a bit of a roadmap here. I'm a guitar player of 20 years with a well trained music ear. Been recording audio and scoring on Cubase for about 10 years. Now I'm making good progress on a proper weighted keyboard so a whole world opens up when it comes to synth.

The problem with a lot of these soft synths is they all look so damn different. One option could be to cut to the chase and buy Omnisphere but that's a lot of cash and I'm not even sure if it is a valid starting point. I'll spend some money as my warez days are over but I have no real frame of reference here.

Cubase 8 comes with something called the Prologue, which is garbage - the UI is far too abstract and his has no arpeggiator. So where else should I be looking?

I'm sure I can read up what "FM" really means
You could be dissilusioned :hihi:
The problem with a lot of these soft synths is they all look so damn different.
Most of subtractive synths work very similiar. When in doubt, read the manual ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Cubase 8 also comes with Retrologue, which is quite good imho. It has a clear (but a little bit small) gui with all the basic concepts layed out, and can do all common subtractive synth thingies. Presets are not really strong, but it actually sounds really nice.

Also good is anything by U-he - in your case i'd take Diva or Hive. They have very functional demo's (only a bit of occasional noise) that you can play around with. I'm playing with those demo's all the time - Guess I need to buy them sometime ;-)

Hmm... not in the Cubase Artist version that I got with my Zoom H5.

But looking at Retrologue now, it makes a bit of sense to me.

Was thinking of having a play with the CS-80 and MS-20 emulations to get to grips with the historical side.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicksinthemix wrote:Hmm... not in the Cubase Artist version that I got with my Zoom H5.
Then that is not Cubase Artis, but maybe Cubase Elements, or Cubase LE? Artist definitely comes with Retrologue.

Yep seems it's Elements. I'll run the trial of retrologue for a month and see if the Artist 8.5 upgrade is a good idea.

There are a number of subtractive synths that have what you could call a basic structure and GUI. Examples of what I mean is Sylenth1, Hive from U-he, ANA som Sonic Academy, etc. There are also a number of free ones like PG8X, Podolski, OBXD that have the similar structure and the most common features.

The point is that if you grab one of these synths and learn it you will basically know how to use all of them. Maybe you will not know every detail about each and every one but you will gain a general knowledge on how to design sounds and what the different components do. I do recommend the free ones to start with.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

nicksinthemix wrote:Yep seems it's Elements. I'll run the trial of retrologue for a month and see if the Artist 8.5 upgrade is a good idea.
Until the 15th of august, you can upgrade to a bigger version for 40 % off: http://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pag ... ecial.html

(Arguably) the best way to learn subtractive synthesis (and comes with a subtractive synth): http://www.syntorial.com.

I think you should just jump in and get reaktor. or, get ace then reaktor. if ace is still 50 or 60 bucks, yeah, get that.

+1 for Syntorial. You can sometimes get it on sale from Plugindiscounts, too.

lectrixboogaloo wrote:I think you should just jump in and get reaktor. or, get ace then reaktor. if ace is still 50 or 60 bucks, yeah, get that.

Self promo: I'm selling ACE for $50 USD in this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=469889

:-D

You might like Basic from Audio Damage ... http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD033

I own cubase 6.5. in the track inspector under the tab that says plugins, there is a wide variety of small plugins one of which is an arpegiator

Return to “Modular Synthesis”