What was the first computer you owned?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fisher Price My First Computer.
You could do maths, spelling/word games and play music using the qwerty. It's how I learned to play twinkle twinkle little star. After that I had a Sinclair Zx81, before getting a proper computer - the c64.

ZX81 with 16k wobbly, crash-causing RAM pack. Followed by a Lynx, a couple of CP/M machines, assorted Unix boxes from Sun, HP and SGI and, eventually, my first Windows-capable box in about 1997.

resynthesis wrote:ZX81 with 16k wobbly, crash-causing RAM pack
It used to drive me crazy how wobbly and crash prone the RAM pack was. Mine was so sensitive that even someone walking across the room would make it crash.

I started out with an used IBM PC Jr in 1986, but it couldn't do much outside of rudimentary word processing and unstructured basic. I then purchased an Atari 1040ST based on a review that touted "built-in MIDI ports", and "1 Megabyte of memory." The reviewer stated, "I'm not sure anyone will ever need that much RAM." The Atari was a great computer and I promptly purchased a copy of C-Lab Notator. Lot's of fun.

My mom had a Commodore Vic 20 once upon a time but the first computer I owned myself was an Olivetti 486 with a whopping 40mb hdd, 1mb ram (I -think-) running MS-DOS 6.22 (with powermenu, loved that thing). Had Win 3.1 installed as well but hated it and only started it when absolutely needed.

Ran Cakewalk Home Studio on that thing with a Roland Jx8p as well as a Roland U110, proest studio setup ever :P But it was incredibly fulfilling to make things happen and probably the main reason why I've now spent a fair bit of resources setting up a decent recording environment at home, still using Cakewalk albeit in it's latest version, Sonar.

Funny how much things have changed on the one hand (thoroughly love the concept of vst's and other software synth/effect alternatives) yet still stay much the same.

ameneon1 wrote:Ran Cakewalk Home Studio...with a Roland Jx8p as well as a Roland U110, proest studio setup ever :P But it was incredibly fulfilling to make things happen and probably the main reason why I've now spent a fair bit of resources setting up a decent recording environment at home, still using Cakewalk albeit in it's latest version, Sonar.
:D :tu:

Texas Instruments TI/94A ! using a cassette player for storage!
John
"B4serenity"

Helping a friend clean out a storage space, a Mac Powerbook 190 appeared.

It was being produced in 1995-96, can it be of any use now?

I haven't tried to turn it on yet, there are reports about exploding battery syndrome with this one :scared:

http://lowendmac.com/pb/powerbook-190.html

Nascom 1. Had to solder it yourself :)
FT

This was the first. Will likely be the last, also :ud:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:This was the first. Will likely be the last, also :ud:
Stay on topic can you :wink:

Or find an even bigger picture of your brain :P

Cray CDC 6600 supercomputer running pro tools
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Cray CDC 6600 supercomputer running pro tools
But that post is longer than three words, have you upgraded your motherboard :o

Edit: Hmm, based on the post below seems that it made some kind of syntax error! Numskull, I didn't hear about that super computer before, but I want to get one of 'em now :lol:
Last edited by Numanoid on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Numskull wrote:
Aloysius wrote:Cray CDC 6600 supercomputer running pro tools
But that post is longer than three words, have you upgraded your motherboard :o
Numskull wrote:Stay on topic can you :wink:
:wink:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Numanoid wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:This was the first. Will likely be the last, also :ud:
Stay on topic can you :wink:

Or find an even bigger picture of your brain :P
:P :P

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”