Could you live without Waves? What would you miss?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Between all things FabFilter, iZotope, Slate, Soundtoys and T-RackS, I'm now thinking of abandoning my Waves plugins because of WUP.
If they'd do away with that, I might reconsider, but until then, a gradual goodbye is in order. Although I'd miss those name plugs, like Butch Vig, Chris Lord-Alge and Tony Maserati.

Fleer wrote:Between all things FabFilter, iZotope, Slate, Soundtoys and T-RackS, I'm now thinking of abandoning my Waves plugins because of WUP.
If they'd do away with that, I might reconsider, but until then, a gradual goodbye is in order. Although I'd miss those name plugs, like Butch Vig, Chris Lord-Alge and Tony Maserati.
What was the problem about WUP for you?
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Just one thing, I don't like paying yearly dues for updates. I know they're not obligatory, but I fear there will come a time, soon enough, that I'd have to pay for WUP in order to keep up with my computer's OS.

Fleer wrote:Just one thing, I don't like paying yearly dues for updates. I know they're not obligatory, but I fear there will come a time, soon enough, that I'd have to pay for WUP in order to keep up with my computer's OS.
Sooner or later your system will become outdated and you will need to invest for an upgrade. There is no point to fear something that will happen inevitably. For example, 15 years ago plugins used DirectX format, which is not supported by any modern software, because new and much better ones were developed since then. Such new research is good, because it brings us better efficiency, but developers need to cover costs of it. So, we will pay for better software this or that way, which is normal.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I understand, Andy, but many developers provide these updates for free. I also understand that if you have a Waves bundle, WUP may get you new plugins, which is great, but it's not what I'm looking for. The only thing I want is free updates when my computer's OS gets upgraded, in order to keep on using the plugin I bought. Maybe Waves could allow for a "mini WUP" at a much lower price than present WUP rates, often costing more than the plugins themselves, when bought during one of those frequent Waves sales.

Fleer wrote:I understand, Andy, but many developers provide these updates for free. I also understand that if you have a Waves bundle, WUP may get you new plugins, which is great, but it's not what I'm looking for. The only thing I want is free updates when my computer's OS gets upgraded, in order to keep on using the plugin I bought. Maybe Waves could allow for a "mini WUP" at a much lower price than present WUP rates, often costing more than the plugins themselves, when bought during one of those frequent Waves sales.

Yeah many don't charge but many do. I don't know why people act like Waves is the only one who charges for updates. I don't know many devs that throw in free plugs with the update cost though.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I don't mind that they would charge something, but for a limited quantity of separate plugins Waves charges a lot of WUP.

I've been dipping my toes in Waves from time to time, but the plugs always end up in the cooler.

There's so much out there now that I don't see any reason at all for me to fight with Waves' WUP and pesky auth system.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:I've been dipping my toes in Waves from time to time, but the plugs always end up in the cooler.

There's so much out there now that I don't see any reason at all for me to fight with Waves' WUP and pesky auth system.

/Joachim

what don't you like with the auth system? I never had a problem with it myself.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Fleer wrote:I don't mind that they would charge something, but for a limited quantity of separate plugins Waves charges a lot of WUP.
If you don't forget to click the checkbox that you use licenses only on one machine at a time, it is not a lot. At least I find it reasonable, especially that you don not have to get WUP if you don't need it.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

ATS wrote: I don't know why people act like Waves is the only one who charges for updates.
Because they're not - they are charging for expedited customer service and the PROMISE of updates within a limited timeframe.

It's not even even in the same ballpark as (for example) upgrading from Fabfilter Pro-Q to Pro-Q 2, which was a voluntary one-off charge.

Andy Gone wrote:
Fleer wrote:I don't mind that they would charge something, but for a limited quantity of separate plugins Waves charges a lot of WUP.
If you don't forget to click the checkbox that you use licenses only on one machine at a time, it is not a lot. ...
Thanks Andy, didn't think of that.

Absolutely...and I own most of their top plugins and bundles. As long as the performance is good...I can do quite a bit to a project with stock plugins. In fact, I always try to sculpt with a stock plugin first and then I reach for a paid plugin. Some plugins, like the Waves H-Series are truly a great time saver but I can live without them.

I think the WUP needs to be revised because one big serious flaw...which is not allowing loyal patrons to sell their plugins unless the WUP is current. Give me a break Waves... I'm not saying they shouldn't charge for updates, that's just simply ridiculous; I'm saying the TOS regarding WUP has proven very little benefit to a lot of loyal patrons. Yes...they have some of the best sales amidst most of the developers including Izotope...that's a whole other story in itself because one can do alot with just Ozone alone...just saying. Back to the topic at hand.

Anyway, that's my 1 cent...I'm saving the other for something else. Take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm not looking for a war or debate...I've seen too many already.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Whether you can live without any manufacturer's plugins
is mostly determined by how many tools for the same job you tend to
accumulate.

If you have 66 compressors, yes, clearly you can do without waves (or anyone else's)
compressors. If you have 1 compressor, and it happens to be from waves,
you cannot live without waves plugins.

I belong to the former category (I have most waves and numerous other main manufacturers'
plugins) so indeed I could do without waves plugins, but it does not mean anything: they are good tools regardless.

The ones that I like the best/use most are:
- loair
- ssl strip
- maserati guitar and bass

PS. WUP is, as far as I am concerned, a money-grabbing operation

Could you live without Waves? What would you miss?
Yes. And .... Nothing! :hihi:

Return to “Effects”