What is your composition set up? [Cubase, mouse only]

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Do you have a tip to speed up a beat making with mouse and cubase?
I already tried with a keyboard controller but it's not for me.
Tell me your flow to keep it spimpe and funny please.

Feel free to share evrything you want, also beyond the topic.

Keep it spimpe :hihi:

Tons of coffee, not make you better, just faster.

When you say "beat" do you mean percussive elements or are you including melodic content as in the "beat" is the backing track?

Learning how to use alt+drag, ctrl c/ctrl v - real basic stuff can speed things up considerably. If keyboard controller didn't work a pad based controller might.

Having a good template that you created can help. I like guitar based music so I have a couple of templates that I use to sketch things really quickly.

Understanding that some of the best produced and amazing music you can find has had people labouring over it for years and years. I think Amused to Death took 5 years to record, Random Access Memories cost $1 000 000 or thereabouts to create... Music is a craft, and sure - we can all knock out stuff quickly and with all samples/electronic instruments it will sound polished but you have to ask yourself if it's more important to have a large body of stuff you made in 5 minutes or to really discipline yourself and Mr Holland's Opus it. (I think my answer is somewhere in between :P)
I play guitar

good question. separate sound design from beat making and spend some time making some sick hits (Sn, Kik, etc). Load these into a sampler. Buy yourself a controller. I know you said you did not like it but get something with pads on it and give it a try. I find that playing in beats first makes for a much more interesting rhythm, even if i move the MIDI around later to tighten it up.

That's spimpe!!

mmGhost wrote:good question. separate sound design from beat making and spend some time making some sick hits (Sn, Kik, etc). Load these into a sampler. Buy yourself a controller. I know you said you did not like it but get something with pads on it and give it a try. I find that playing in beats first makes for a much more interesting rhythm, even if i move the MIDI around later to tighten it up.
This exactly. Going down the "kick design" frequency rabbit hole is going to disrupt your flow. But sitting around and designing kicks and weird noises to use later with no pressure to actually have to make a "beat" is fun in and of itself.

The other is saving channel presets in Cubase. That is, if you've discovered a pattern in how you work things.

Return to “Production Techniques”