working on a tonal chaos generator vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mac AU version ?
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

but of course!

Edit: Will be developed with JUCE. Actually, I just gave the GO to my programmer to start setting up a JUCE project and porting code so I can get a multiplatform build.

Aaand I will open up a limited closed alpha soon on the Soundemote forum here at KVR. Hopefully that will start in two months. Only the bravest souls should apply for alpha access. It won't be an easy synth to control at this stage. Actually, for the final version, I expect most of users to rely heavily on presets. Diving into the controls though will be rewarding even for a novice.

Architeuthis wrote:new video!: https://youtu.be/XpRVHMf370k

Demonstrating the unique sonic qualities of chaos.

The VST is progressing nicely. We're almost finished testing the core sound generation features. Next step is modulation features (sequencer, multi-point envelopes, x/y, macro controls, LFOs, keytracking, etc.). Also, I am in talks with a great GUI artist.

mp3: http://www.elanhickler.com/_/Chaosfly%2 ... Unique.mp3
Wow! Very cool. I'd avoid using the word "squirrely" in your marketing, though.

Very interesting... looking forward to see and hear more.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Sounds pretty great. :)

I do think "tonal chaos generator" or "chaotic tone generator" are clearer than "musical chaos generator" -- I'd skipped over the topic thinking it was some kind of stochastic composition software, rather than a synth.

Sounds excellent!

Guys, today I made a discovery! Well, I already knew this might be possible, but I finally cracked the code.

Take a listen: http://www.elanhickler.com/_/chaotic_filtered_saw.mp3

...it is a bit ugly sounding due to a bug in the code where, when you move one of the parameters, the plugin glitches, so every movement of the parameter creates an ugly click (aka zipper noise). I'm hoping my programmer will be able to fix this quickly so I can post a new demo and some alternatives to this sound. Couldn't wait to show this off so I am posting it before the bug is fixed.

So what are you hearing? This is supposed to sound like an analog filter. In reality, it's two sinewave generators interacting with each other in a very specific way. It does involve a non-resonant lowpass filter in the feedback path. This is exciting because, once you find the key ingredients to create this kind of sound, you can adjust the parameters to make it sound more growly, or more screamy, or cleaner... you can also go off the beaten path and use this as a starting point for some really cool or whacky sounds.

This is just the beginning. I hope that the chaos generator will have a large fan base so we can discover more settings like this. There's a setting I found a while back that sounds like a convincing brass instrument but I don't remember the settings, I'll find it again at some point. I also stumbled upon some settings that create harmonic-locking/soft-sync or hard-sync type sounds.

Once the bug is fixed I'll post some more examples of how you can start with a sound like this (analog-filter-thingie) and change the parameters to create alternative sounds or something very different.

Wow! That sounds great! Watching this topic with interest :tu:

Architeuthis wrote:Guys, today I made a discovery! Well, I already knew this might be possible, but I finally cracked the code. Take a listen: http://www.elanhickler.com/_/chaotic_filtered_saw.mp3
8) ... and we will be 'beta'-ing, when??? :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Beta-ing will being when the plugin is more or less ready for release. There's a lot to consider, I need a killer GUI, a top-notch modulation system, arpeggiator, fx... I can't even picture in my head how the final plugin will look and work. I just have a handful of ideas.

1. There will be macro controls so you can use one knob or one X/Y pad to precisely adjust many parameters at once. I wonder if I should make a multi-point modulation system for everything, so that you can, for example, have a parameter go up and then down while another parameter just goes up; you could make different segments logarithmic or linear.

2. Beneath the mactro control system there could be a sub-preset snapshot system. So you adjust some parameters, take a snapshot. Adjust some more, take another snapshot. Let's say you have 5 snapshots. This is another way of doing very complex parameter modulation. You can slide from snapshot to snapshot; you could assign a macro controller to the snapshot system... crap, what happens if the snapshot controls a parameter and the macro controller also controls that parameter? :(

3.We need multipoint key tracking modulation so you can do complex things with mapping midi notes to different parameter settings; This is important because you may find settings that are not in tune but you want to create a tuned patch, so you find the right settings per key or per octave and then hopefully between octaves you're still in tune... I'd want to be able to assign the key tracking to the snapshot system so you can slide through your snapshots via midi pitches.

Ok, 3 big controller features; Macro controls, key tracking, and snapshots. How can they all work together?... Maybe I need to think outside the box and combine these 3 things into 1... for example, you could create your macro controller by taking preset snapshots, that will then build your multipoint modulation/controller... you'd be able to have multiple snapshot "lanes" (controllers)... If you somehow assign one parameter to multiple controllers I think I'll have to mix the two values to get a final value for said parameter.

...will keep brainstorming.

Here's the thing. This chaos generator... I want this synth to be the only synth I ever use. I've never been completely satisfied with commercial VST synths, mainly because there's a lack of my favorite elements: screamy filters, feedback modulation, and variable [hard to soft] sync. Chaos generation potentially satisfies all of that. This project really is a result of not being satisfied with what is available.

Like u-he Zebra, I want to continue developing this synthesizer into a full-fledged workhorse synth and improve it indefinitely. Version 1 may not be able to handle all your synthesizer needs, but I have a handful of ideas that haven't really been implemented in synths before, or they haven't gotten enough attention. On top of the entire chaos generator, I'd like to have a voice controller so you can do stacked voices and do some per-voice modulation. As a matter of fact, I'd like the chaos generator to be a great supersaw synth.

Here's what happens when you have a stacked voice controller that allows you to set different portamento speeds per voice: http://www.elanhickler.com/_/saw%20port ... riment.mp3
(A:B demo with 3 examples, first with fixed portamento, then with random portamento per voice)

Edit: Hmm... I've also been thinking a lot about automatic voice distribution. So, for example, if you have 16 voices, and you play one midi note, all voices play that one pitch. If you play a 3-note chord, you get 5 to 6 voices per pitch. Another thing that helps in stacked voices is having low notes be more detuned than high notes so you get nice buzzy aggressive lows and crisp highs.

Architeuthis wrote: Edit: Will be developed with JUCE. Actually, I just gave the GO to my programmer to start setting up a JUCE project and porting code so I can get a multiplatform build.
Please don't forget the growing linux users circle... ty
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I will investigate the possibility of a linux version. Should be doable with JUCE.

ALRIGHT! New video, just a quick one demonstrating the filtery sounds. It always gets me when I remember that all of this is just two interacting sinewaves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBP-U_ ... e=youtu.be

Sounds really great! It's good to know you're dedicated to the ongoing development of this synth into a Zebra-like powerhouse! I like your ideas for snapshot morphing, macros, and multi-segment envelopes (Curve-like drawable flexibility would be amazing). Perhaps instead of worrying about whether/how these different options will play nicely together, just implement them initially and hear back from the user-base as to how they could be improved in practice.
Really liking the tone and fm-like squelchiness you've achieved here!

This sounds really decent already! Best of luck with the ongoing development, I'll definitely be keeping track of your progress.

Return to “Instruments”