Sonimus TuCo Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aren't both methods imperfect unless you have a makeup gain (before wet/dry) AND an output volume control (after wet/dry)?

It seems like with only one gain control, the mix knob is always fighting against it one way or another.

kj.metissage wrote:Seriously, you're complaining about the price ?

Compared to most competitors, it's fair. Considering how good (great) it sounds. Not to mention the low CPU usage.
Personally I would never spend that much on a compressor (well, actually that's not entirely correct - I almost purchased Boz' Manic Compressor during their 50% off summer promo but then again that one is wildly more versatile and feature-rich).

Brands such as IKMM, Plugin Alliance, Waves, McDSP, Metric Halo, etc. which have significantly higher prices than the likes of Sknote, Klanghelm, ValhallaDSP, often do sales, so it's perfectly possible to get their stuff at low prices too if you wait a little - but I have never seen Sonimus doing a sale - am I wrong? Do they not actually have the same business model as the latter companies, i.e. no sales, but generally low prices?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

And btw.: I am of course NOT COMPLAINING. Any company is of course perfectly free to ask whatever they want for their products.

But I can be so nice as to inform the company that I as a potential customer am not willing to spend that much. What they then do with that information is their business entirely.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:And btw.: I am of course NOT COMPLAINING. Any company is of course perfectly free to ask whatever they want for their products.

But I can be so nice as to inform the company that I as a potential customer am not willing to spend that much. What they then do with that information is their business entirely.
I agree. It's possible to buy +10db Bundle by Boz for $74. So, the choice is clear.

:neutral:

jens wrote:
Brands such as IKMM, Plugin Alliance, Waves, McDSP, Metric Halo, etc. [...] often do sales, so it's perfectly possible to get their stuff at low prices too
Foir example I could get both Waves CLA-2A and their DBX 160 together for around 80 bucks right now.

True, but Waves has also WUP and nasty licensing. Low price is the hook, you are the fish!

comfortablynick wrote:Aren't both methods imperfect unless you have a makeup gain (before wet/dry) AND an output volume control (after wet/dry)?
No this way gives you a higher "resolution" on your mix knob range because you've already matched the compressed to be as loud as the dry.. so the blending will be smooth with a bigger sweet spot range. Again, there is no need to overthink it if you see it as simply an innocuous "dry knob" that you use as a very last step. But it seems that people nowadays want it as an integral element of the workflow of the compression itself i.e. as a compression"parameter" to be used just like the traditional att/rel/ratio parameters to shape their compression sound. Which is very silly but the devs are apparently caving in. To me that means that most people simply suck at compression and are insecure about it.

The sound is really tubby in a good way to me , i like the makeup gain sound it definelty remind me some hardware. i just played with it 2 minutes but probably one of the best mu comp in plugin

on the manual it says output knob is after the wet/dry
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

[/quote]
No this way gives you a higher "resolution" on your mix knob range because you've already matched the compressed to be as loud as the dry.. so the blending will be smooth with a bigger sweet spot range. Again, there is no need to overthink it if you see it as simply an innocuous "dry knob" that you use as a very last step. But it seems that people nowadays want it as an integral element of the workflow of the compression itself i.e. as a compression"parameter" to be used just like the traditional att/rel/ratio parameters to shape their compression sound. Which is very silly but the devs are apparently caving in. To me that means that most people simply suck at compression and are insecure about it.[/quote]

Yes I agree. I like the NI compressors but in this respect they have a similar nonsense functionality. I hope they add a true makeup gain (wet only) to TuCo.

Tuco Salamanca, I presume:

WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

comfortablynick wrote:Aren't both methods imperfect unless you have a makeup gain (before wet/dry) AND an output volume control (after wet/dry)?

It seems like with only one gain control, the mix knob is always fighting against it one way or another.
only the makeup gain after the wet is needed. if auto makeup
is implemented then it is even easier.

Sounded good, my first impression.
But price is above what I normally spend for these kind of things.

cfanyc wrote:

I agree about auto makeup gain. However, if your makeup gain only affects the wet signal (which is usually the case), then it is changing the ratio of wet:dry signal. To me, the only way to make everyone happy is to have two gain controls (Kotelnikov comes to mind).

comfortablynick wrote:
cfanyc wrote:

I agree about auto makeup gain. However, if your makeup gain only affects the wet signal (which is usually the case), then it is changing the ratio of wet:dry signal. To me, the only way to make everyone happy is to have two gain controls (Kotelnikov comes to mind).
Mathematically, yes. From a musical workflow point of view, not so much.
The way I see it: first you tune the compressor and you get a wet signal you like. With auto volume compensation
built in, you do not have to go back and forth the output volume trim to ensure that
volume differences are not skewing your perception of what is a good wet signal.

Once a good wet signal is obtained, you mix in dry to bring back lost transients or de-emphasize
other compression artifacts.

No one goes to a mix saying "I want a 30:70 dry:wet mix ratio for this track" hence
designs that focus on how to preserve the dry:wet blend ratio are not serving the
musical purpose of the mixer.

Final comment: I think we can all agree that because eliminating volume bias is so essential for audio
mixing, any process that interferes with and makes harder to volume compensate is to be avoided.
A design that tries to preserve dry:wet ratios and by doing so messes up volume-compensated dry-wet
comparisons is a flawed one as far as I am concerned.

zeep wrote:...Do Sonimus products (other than Satson which i own) require online activation? The TuCo Manual refers to some sort of activation software.
Hi, thanks for feedback and comments, regarding activation this is not to say that it is an "online activation" it is just a license activation script that can be downloaded with the installer.
Regards!

Return to “Effects”