Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Teksonik wrote:
Ingonator wrote: OK, so this seems to a specific problem with those Roland controllers with the pitch/mod stick. I was not able to reproduce this as i do not have one of those Roland controllers here.
I did never really understand why they built that pitch/mod stick in a way that the mod amount automatically goes back to 0. Last Roland keyboard i owned must have been a JV-90 back in 2005.
No you're missing the point. If you move the Mod Wheel on any controller it will effect the way a patch sounds if it uses the LFO to add modulation to the Filter for example. Any patch with a default MW setting more than Zero can be changed adversely by moving the MW even accidentally . That's why those patches need a switch to bypass MW input so they sound as intended no matter what value the MW sends.
Actually in my last post before you did this reply i agreed that adding a kind of "lock" to teh MW fader in teh GUI would make sense. I also mentioend this at the beta forum now.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I have a lot of VCO3->VCO1/2 'FM' presets on the Arturia minimoog where the precise position of the MW is crucial to the sound. (One little nudge and everything is shot to hell.) I therefore agree that a MW-Ignore feature would be a good thing to have on synths with this kind of architecture.

Since the mod wheel is unidirectional anyway, can't the synth attribute the zero position MIDI value of the mod wheel to the specific default MW value of the patch? So, say, the patch value is 30, and you apply the physical mod wheel, so it adds, say, 40 to that value, and when letting the mod wheel go, it returns to 30.

ENV1 wrote:I have a lot of VCO3->VCO1/2 'FM' presets on the Arturia minimoog where the precise position of the MW is crucial to the sound. (One little nudge and everything is shot to hell.) I therefore agree that a MW-Ignore feature would be a good thing to have on synths with this kind of architecture.
:tu:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Since the mod wheel is unidirectional anyway, can't the synth attribute the zero position MIDI value of the mod wheel to the specific default MW value of the patch? So, say, the patch value is 30, and you apply the physical mod wheel, so it adds, say, 40 to that value, and when letting the mod wheel go, it returns to 30.
I imagine that would be somewhat complicated to program. But that doesn't solve the problem where any MW movement will cause the patch to not sound as intended.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

How about MIDI Learn per knob (including the modulation wheel), which has been asked for earlier - wouldn't that solve the issue? Then one could just assign the modulation wheel to a different MIDI CC.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:How about MIDI Learn per knob (including the modulation wheel), which has been asked for earlier - wouldn't that solve the issue? Then one could just assign the modulation wheel to a different MIDI CC.

Richard
Pretty much. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Richard_Synapse wrote:How about MIDI Learn per knob (including the modulation wheel), which has been asked for earlier - wouldn't that solve the issue? Then one could just assign the modulation wheel to a different MIDI CC.

Richard
Yes, please! :)

This is maybe a bit stupid but could it be possible to add highpass and bandpass modes to the filter? Like they wouldn't be visible in the frontpanel but when you flip it around.. You could for example switch lowpass to bandpass.

Lejurai wrote:This is maybe a bit stupid but could it be possible to add highpass and bandpass modes to the filter? Like they wouldn't be visible in the frontpanel but when you flip it around.. You could for example switch lowpass to bandpass.
This was my instinct too. Some of these sounds made me look to see if there were a bp filter :D Would be nice but didn't bother to ask since it is quite far from the original, then again, so is 4x unison 8)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Richard
You could also add a range parameter that clamps the effect of the ModWheel. I think Dave Smith did that in the OB-6 so that the modulation starts at a min value. Then, ModWheel brings it up to the max value set by the patch designer.

This way the patch designer can limit the modulation amount within the musical boundaries it's meant to be used.

ENV1 wrote:I have a lot of VCO3->VCO1/2 'FM' presets on the Arturia minimoog where the precise position of the MW is crucial to the sound. (One little nudge and everything is shot to hell.) I therefore agree that a MW-Ignore feature would be a good thing to have on synths with this kind of architecture.
I agree, though I think it would make more sense to define a range for the mod wheel so you could set its full range from something like 20-70% This way you could still use the modulation wheel to your heart's content, but it's resting amount could be arbitrary. If you really want my $100, give users the option to assign any MIDI message to that mod wheel control. (including always having mod wheel effect it) Add velocity sensitivity to the EGs... and then you've really opened it up for a lot more expressive control.

Has the demo not been updated to 1.0.6? I was trying to achieve the above using the M4L Expression Control device and I noticed parameters wouldn't map. I downloaded what I thought might be 1.0.6 but it opens in Live as 1.0.5 and still has the bug.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Urs wrote:

Richard
You could also add a range parameter that clamps the effect of the ModWheel. I think Dave Smith did that in the OB-6 so that the modulation starts at a min value. Then, ModWheel brings it up to the max value set by the patch designer.

This way the patch designer can limit the modulation amount within the musical boundaries it's meant to be used.
Is it possible to segment the modwheel, like assign to MW 0-50 range, or MW 50-100 range. Any synths do this?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:
Urs wrote:

Richard

Is it possible to segment the modwheel, like assign to MW 0-50 range, or MW 50-100 range. Any synths do this?
I thought every (or most) synth does via the mod matrix.
Dune2 f.e.
But it's often a bit of too much tabbing.
I find the "dials" of one of my iOS synths great.
You can assign for every parameter a min. and max. value in %. Then you could go further and modulate the min. or max. with another min. and max. value etc.
You also can set those things to modwheel and whatever....

zerocrossing wrote: Has the demo not been updated to 1.0.6? I was trying to achieve the above using the M4L Expression Control device and I noticed parameters wouldn't map. I downloaded what I thought might be 1.0.6 but it opens in Live as 1.0.5 and still has the bug.
I have the full version of The Legend v1.0.6 and with the 64-bit VST2 in Live 9.6.2 64-bit (on windows 10 64-bit) i could assign Max 4 Live devices like e.g. LFO, Envelope and also the Expression Control to automatable parameters. For example i was able to route the Modwheel to teh Cutoff (while the MW fader is still assigned too) and also Velocity to main Volume. Assigning the LFO and envelope plugin (also multiple at the same track) was possible too.

Anyway to map the M4L plugins i first have to assign which automations i want to use by activating the "Configure" button in teh device panel of the The lgend plugin and teh movong the controls i want to add in thw GUI.
After finishing thios i could click at "Map" in the M4L plugins and the assign the auomation parameters i just added (by cliicking on the parameters in the list after "Map" was activated.

With the LFO and enveleope modules this already seemed to work with v1.0.5 while i had not checked the expression control with that.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Touch The Universe wrote:
Urs wrote:

Richard

Well, the "point of interest" where the right amount of modulation is hit varies from preset to preset. Therefore it makes sense to add the constraint to the plug-in - to make it save with preset. It IMHO does not make much sense to take a MIDI controller, MIDI filter whatsoever to "paralyse" the ModWheel into whatever position.

Thing is, most classical Minimoog sounds need to be played with ModWheel, most of the time to add Vibrato as means of expression. So I think in general ModWheel should stay ModWheel. Hence I think the best thing to do is to add a parameter to wether fix or constrain the ModWheel, only if necessary.

I guess MIDI Learn is fine if it's per preset. But that also means every preset designer will save their "non-ModWheel" patches with whatever other MIDI controller - that could easily become a mess. If MIDI Learn is global, it'll be tedious to flip back and forth with ModWheel for whenever ModWheel is needed. The third possibility is MIDI Learn with project/song, but that requires action on the user's side, and once the value is changed, how would the user know to MIDI Learn the wheel away?

Plus, practically, MIDI Learn is done by selecting the UI control and wiggling the knob/wheel/slider. Thus it instantly changes the parameter, which is exactly what is meant to be prevented ;-)

Therefore my suggestion goes to a parameter/constraint done by preset designer - less work for the end user, less chance for hiccups.

- U

@Richard: Isn't it funny how sometimes the most simple things pose the biggest challenge...

Return to “Instruments”