SoundToys 5.1 update with new free EQ "Sie-Q"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Den* wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What's a 'Gear stream notifier'?
It's a little red button:::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2wFaaPAzI

zvenx wrote:It also tells you when there is a new version available.

not a waste of time for all concerned.

rsp

aMUSEd wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What's a 'Gear stream notifier'?
no clue :help:
Installed now - it's a little button that provides you news from Soundtoys - rather pointless tbh and I don't really like the idea of my plugins having a permanent online connection to a news feed. What a waste of developer time. Wonder if you can hide it?
It's totally useless ... since most users spend more time here or at all the other forum freak shows than they do making music, right? Yeah, right. Too many attached at the hip. So that means you'll know about any updates anyway, maybe even sooner than SToys can launch it from their server.

Worse of all, it's a total invasion of privacy. So glad I use only offline for music, otherwise my SToys 5.02 or whatever last one I got (and really do like) would be the last ever I'd probably install. New Siemens EQ clone? I can live without it very easily if it means contact online without my express permission. Geez, music makers are being led around like a bunch of mice in a maze. SoundToys the new Pied Piper. No thanks, SToys!
Last edited by MarlaPodolski on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarlaPodolski wrote:
Installed now - it's a little button that provides you news from Soundtoys - rather pointless tbh and I don't really like the idea of my plugins having a permanent online connection to a news feed. What a waste of developer time. Wonder if you can hide it?
It's totally useless ... since most users spend more time here or at all the other forum freaks shows than they do making music, right? Yeah, right. Too many attached at the hip. So that means you'll know about any updates anyway, maybe even soon than Toys can launch it from their server.

Worse of all, it's a total invasion of privacy. So glad I use only offline for music, otherwise my SToys 5.02 or whatever last one I got (and really do like) would be the last ever I'd probably install. New Siemens EQ clone? I can live without it very easily if it means contact online without my express permission. Geez, music makers are being led around like a bunch of mice in a maze. SoundToys the new Pied Piper. No thanks, SToys!
I think "permanent online connection" is a stretching it a bit. As long as they're not completely insane they'd check once at startup, and maybe whenever you click on a button, that's it.

Site is simply down...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

asksol: "I think "permanent online connection" is a stretching it a bit. As long as they're not completely insane they'd check once at startup, and maybe whenever you click on a button, that's it."

You're probably right about that, come to think of it. But will we ever even know, be told?

I'm getting sick of this sort of behaviour from plugin makers. You spend a pile of money on something, and then they have their product "phone home" whenever they please. And do any ever tell you when or how often? None that I know of yet. Discovered that the Studio One DAW was phoning home every couple of uses or so when I stumbled across a few poorly hidden files in AppData. What's up with this behaviour. I remember that install: never asked ME if I wanted to be part of User Stats or whatever BS program they had in mind. In fact, I routinely decline any of that participation nonsense some ask for during installs that they claim to use to "help improve user experience" and other various lies. Hey, you want to pay me serious money to use your software? Okay then, I might agree to some online connection or info exchange, but otherwise keep your stinkin' noses out of my music PCs.

I think its both stupid and outrageous of companies to pull this stuff without complete upfront disclosure and, even worse, foolish of paying users to put up with any of it. Who knows what other data SToys may grab? Your just being punked seriously to blindly put up with any of this as a user. Chumped. Users need some sort of coalition or power group to put these makers back in their place, short of boycotts or simple refusal to continue business with offender companies. Wake up, forum boys!

This is a great little EQ. I can't wait to flog it the Buy & Sell (just kidding).

Took a little bit of effort as the website was hanging whilst going through Checkout and then not responding very well when I tried to log back in and get the installer file.

Thank you Soundtoys!

Finally I'm able to login and download...
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Amazingly gullible people.

I wonder how much ilok pays these companies for spreading their virus?

anyone have any opinion on this as compared to the Sonimus Burnley EQ as a "character EQ"? really liked that when i demo'd it, haven't gotten around to buying it yet. not sure how different they are as far as what they were each modeled after. ...or other "character EQs" if you have a favorite?

i know... i guess i should just compare them myself (haven't installed this yet), but i'd be interested to hear what others think.

.jon wrote:Amazingly gullible people.

I wonder how much ilok pays these companies for spreading their virus?
lol, what a jackass. what exactly is your problem with iLok these days?

never used iLok until they offered the "soft iLok" option. no worries whatsoever. my only problem with them is needing to pay a transfer fee to them should i ever decide to sell off any software that uses it. didn't need to do that with eLicenser when i used their physical dongle.

jbuonacc wrote:lol, what a jackass. what exactly is your problem with iLok these days?

never used iLok until they offered the "soft iLok" option. no worries whatsoever. my only problem with them is needing to pay a transfer fee to them should i ever decide to sell off any software that uses it. didn't need to do that with eLicenser when i used their physical dongle.
I guess you missed the recent debacles (in a long list) only weeks ago. First Slate ddosing the iLok servers out of orbit and f*cking other iLok using plugin subscriptions and more. And Adaptiverb debacle only a week later that screwed many people over and left them locked out of all their software. This in addition to all kind of instabilty and other issues that you can read about weekly on GS and here.
No signature here!

ok then... thanks. that sucks.

robotmonkey wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:lol, what a jackass. what exactly is your problem with iLok these days?

I guess you missed the recent debacles (in a long list) only weeks ago. First Slate ddosing the iLok servers out of orbit and f*cking other iLok using plugin subscriptions and more. And Adaptiverb debacle only a week later that screwed many people over and left them locked out of all their software. This in addition to all kind of instabilty and other issues that you can read about weekly on GS and here.
Such things can happen with any update of any software. The only way is to do regular proper backups and NOT UPDATE ANY SOFTWARE INSTANTLY.

I never had any issues with iLok. Nor with any update. At least not in a way I wasn't able to roll back.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

In the 2+ years the only issue I've had was with the aforementioned Adaptiverb (which wasn't actually the culprit, just happened around the time it was released) and that only required the 30-ish second process of batch selecting all my licenses and clicking 'deactivate' then selecting them all again and clicking 'activate'!

Thanks Soundtoys install was easy. My god, it's full of bass!

Easy install and sounds great, really really great. Even an idiot like me can't get it to sound bad. A little goes a long way here. Really fabulous eq, just a few knobs, and free! What's not to like?
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Return to “Effects”