Midi/audio setup suggestions needed!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all - i have the following hardware and am looking to integrate it the best way with the software with regards to having either the OT or PC/Maschine as master clock.
PC
Octatrack
Analog rytm
Anolog keys
Prophet 6
Maschine
TR8
TB3
Midi thru box with 4 outs
Mixer ( alan and heath zed 60 ten fx )

I want to be able to sync all the equipment up and run loops/sequencers together in time ( im pretty new to the electronic world being an old guitarist looking to just enjoy mucking around with synths and boxes and able to record it live into my DAW -Sonar- maybe ). I have a very basic understanding of Midi - im just using it to sync the clock at mo but somethimg seems amiss... im using DAW as Master and everything else as slave ( but must confess i like to use OT as Master too... more hands on!! )
At the moment ive got everything running into the mixer and out into the OT so i can sample it but i dont really use that tbh as i can sample on PC. After my massive longwinded noobs brainspill i guess im just asking how different people would set this gear up and whats the main reasons for doing it that way. I know were all different with different needs but im hoping ill glean some wisdom from people in the know about such things

So this is how i have it currently setup:

PC/Saffire - MIDI out -> thru box
MIDI IN -> Ak/Prophet
AUDIO IN -> OT
AUDIO OUT -> monitors
Octatrack - MIDI IN -> Thru box
MIDI THRU ->TR8
AUDIO IN -> AR/MIXER
AUDIO OUT -> Saffire
Analog rytm - MIDI IN -> Thru box
MIDI Thru -> IPAD
AUDIO OUT -> OT
Anolog keys - MIDI IN -> Thru box
MIDI OUT -> Saffire?
MIDI THRU - TB3
AUDIO OUT -> mixer
AUDIO IN -> IPAD ( Alesis control hub )
Prophet 6 - MIDI IN -> Thru box
MIDI OUT -> Saffire?
AUDIO OUT -> mixer
Maschine - MIDI IN/OUT -> direct to PC
AUDIO OUT -> USB into PC

TR8 - MIDI IN -> Midi thru from OT
AUDIO OUT -> mixer
TB3 - MIDI IN -> Midi thru from AK
AUDIO OUT -> mixer
Midi thru box with 4 outs - MIDI IN -> Saffire
MIDI THRU -> AK OT AR P6

IPAD - MIDI IN - AK
MiIXER ( alan and heath zed 60 ten fx )
AUDIO IN -> P6/AK/TB3/TR8
AUDIO OUT -> OT

All mixer inputs now used up - looking to expand hardware synths so maybe i need a bigger mixer -
Overhub?! Worth getting the AK and AR into the PC via overhub? Possibly free up two audio inputs on the mixer...
Please give me some input on this my brains a little fried haha!!

Looks like you have a couple options for expanding the number of inputs in your setup.

The cheapest would be to add a patchbay. That would allow you to patch different synths in on the different mixer inputs.

The more elegant solution would be to buy a stereo line mixer and create a "synth bus" that would allow you to keep everything connected. In my setup, I use a Tascam LM-8ST. I connect all my synths to the Tascam, which then connects to two pairs of stereo inputs on my Mackie mixer.

Not sure how it works in Sonar, but in Ableton Live, you can easily set up the DAW to slave to an external clock. I sometimes use my Arturia Beatstep or Novation Circuit as my master clock, and all my hardware synths and the DAW follow along. So what you're trying to do should be possible in Sonar too.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”