Whenever I'm stupid or something's wrong, I am going mad.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I apologize for making a possibly stupid post but I need you to confirm something.
The thing is that EVERYtime I listen to someone else's recording it has somekind of natural depth whenever it's made using high quality samples or freeware synth. Everytime I record something it's sounds like it's playing right in my face. No amount of reverb helps me fix it.

So I by all means understand that this is not a good idea of doing this but could you listen to my short test track and tell me if something's wrong or I am wrong because I've spent an stupidly great amount of time digging into this issue instead of making actual music :x . I just need to hear "Yea, it's normal\Your mastering sucks.\Here's the magic trick we're all using!".

https://soundcloud.com/majestic3/random
1. Hollywood Strings Cello spiccato patch with built in reverb
2. Synth1 dry
3. Synth1 with Valhalla Room reverb

Thank you.

That soundcloud link appears to be lead to nothing -- if the track is set to private you may have to click the option for a "shareable link".

I listened to a couple of your other tracks, though, and they don't sound bad at all. From what I could tell your aim is orchestral music and from what I was hearing I think the thing you may be missing is playing with the velocity of the notes on the different parts rather than trying to create dynamic range through volume automation and reverb. That was the one thing that popped into my head is you might be looking for a softer sound from different instrumentation which is just going to come more from setting notes to a very low velocity -- also assuming the sound libraries you're using have a wide variance of samples/velocity.

*sigh* Fixed. Sorry :ud:

I am quite a newbie myself, so take this with a pinch of salt, but it sounds like it could use some EQ for a start. IMO, it's rather the opposite than what you perceive, the sound is not "in your face", it's somewhere in the back there, hiding from the ear. ;) A problem many "non-professional" (not meant offensively) productions seem to have, especially when a lot of reverb is being used. You could also try to make it wider. It hardly uses stereo field, from what i can tell listening to it with a poor speaker setup. Oh, and also try to play with the reverb's EQ settings, it can help a lot to make it sound "right".

I was browsing and came across some stuff that might help you.

Orchestral Positioning: Panning

http://mattiaswestlund.net/?page_id=254

Orchestral Positioning: Reverb in theory

http://mattiaswestlund.net/?page_id=440

There are three more pages after that. Follow the links at the bottom of each article if you're interested.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

besides the sound of the hall or room where an instrument is located, every instrument needs it's own "short" space, also called "ambience".
If you take a dry recorded instrument and you don't feed it with it's own short space, than you can put the largest reverb on it, but it will still sound as tiny as a peanut.
So, experiment with treating your signals with short ambient reverb/delays as well as sending it to the big room reverbs you use.

Return to “Production Techniques”