Waves SSL Bus comp VS Cytomic The Glue VS Ni's Buss comp cuz Waves SSl collection for 179,99 $

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

here the Waves SSL pack is on Sale 179,99
http://everyplugin.com/ssl-4000-collection.html

So i was wondering any actual Hardware Users of a SSL bus comp ?
which plugin is the closest ?

Ni's Solid Buss comp ( i think softube coded this)

Waves SSL bus comp

Cytomic the glue

i'm looking for as closest to the real thing instead of bells and whistles the hardware doesnt have

i don't have the money for a UAD
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

None of them. The current king is Acustica Audio Sand.

If you can stomach the CPU usage and overall issues that come with Nebula/Aqua plugins (memory requirements, slow loading times etc) then it's an absolute steal at the current introductory price. The compressor, EQ and preamp sections will all become individual plugins soon (next week or a bit later).

There's a demo version available now. A very generous demo too.

You can check out some audio examples here.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Sand has been out for... 2 days and is already "king"? To be fair, and for OP's information, The "people's king" is still The Glue - has been for years - and it would still take some de-throning.

In terms of "bells and whistles", Sand has this SHMOD that simply does not exist in the hardware. It's an attack enhancing feature straight from ELI Arousor. The Glue is more true to the hardware - and offers intelligent & useful additional flexibility to the things that already are in the hardware.

I'm a huge fan of The Glue. It's absolutely awesome, but to dismiss Sand as something "lesser" due to the SHMOD knob it has is just silly. If you keep it at it's default position it exactly recreates a hardware SSL bus compressor attack shape. That's why it's there by default. You can then choose to either use the feature or not.

As for true to hardware.. if you are starting to look at features missing from the hardware as "bad things" then just look at the Range knob on The Glue, which is of course not at all featured on any SSL hardware, not even on the clones. Also, Andrew Simper has stated on these forums that The Glue is NOT an exact replica of anything. It is his take on the SSL type of compression but is much more flexible and has no added signal path component modelling, so you get no extra harmonic distortion or transient shaping from it (unlike the real SSL which is not at all a "clean" console, depending on the unit type of course.. but a 4000 or 5000 from the 80's is not all that clean).

As I own most of the SSL plugins (except UAD, which I used to have but do not any more and waves) and I've mixed on a real SSL 4000 desk I do dare say I have an informed opinion on this.. but whatever. It was just a suggestion for the OP.

Original caveat still stands. SAND is not for the feint of heart. You can't run hundreds of instances and it is indeed a lot more cumbersome to use than The Glue or any other typical plugin. It's like comparing a massive sample library versus a quickly loading simple synth. That's the workflow difference. Sound wise I stand behind my words. Sand is by far the most authentic SSL compressor emulation I've ever come across in plugin land.

@OP: NI Solid Bus was not coded by Softube. This is a common misconception. Softube did the LA 2A, 1176, dBx 160 and tube series stuff.. also the reverbs. It's easy to know which plugins Softube did, their logo is on the front of each plugin. If there's no Softube logo it means they didn't code it.

I use the NI Solid Bus and think it sounds good with a 2:1 which uses a softer slope. However it doesnt have a high pass side chain and since it's VST2 I can't sidechain it in cubase. Makes it difficult on the buss if I have a big kick and need 4:1.
I tried Cytomic the Glue and it does have a high pass side chain and sounds great. The workflow is sooooo easy to get the sound you are looking for out of it. On my wish list for sure. Does the waves SSL have a high pass side chain on it?

The first sentence in The Glue's presentation is "* Accurate analog model of famous British mix bus compressor of the 80's"

It is not a personal take on SSL compression in the same sense that, say, MJUC is a personal take on vari-mu compressors. I believe Andy stated (and demonstrated) several times that it nails the exact compression characteristics of the real thing - which is where the bulk of the nonlinearities and harmonics - the SSL sound - come from. So even with its fully clean signal path it's comfortably ahead of most competition.

All i'm saying is, it is easy to get impressed and excited with a 3 day old plugin, especially one whose unique technology you already believe in and have a predisposition to believe anything new they put out will be incredible. A more responsible answer to the OP's question would be more along the lines of "The Glue has been king for quite a while but i've been blown away so far with this brand new plugin and I do recommend everyone to check it out because it could well turn out to be the real deal".
Last edited by Bouroki on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bouroki wrote: It is not a personal take on SSL compression in the same sense that, say, MJUC is a personal take on vari-mu compressors. I believe Andy stated several times that it nails the exact compression characteristics of the real thing - which is where the bulk of the nonlinearities and harmonics - the SSL sound - come from. So even with its fully clean signal path it's comfortably ahead of most competition.
Not to dismiss Andrew, because he is a genius, but that is just not entirely true in my experience. The SSL has crappy components in it that changes the sound just by running through it. It's not at all that transparent.

There are very good reasons for there being "high-end" SSL clones out there. Units with much better quality components.. some of them even used for mastering. It's precisely because the original compressor unit and the whole audio path leading to it (remember, you can patch it through quite a bit of hardware before reaching the compressor and then the master output) will color the sound. It's perhaps not as drastic as other consoles but it has it's own vibe. If Andrew's statement was true then Slate wouldn't be selling the VCC plugin. IMHO they did a pretty good job with version two for giving a bit of SSL channel and bus mojo. Also, all the SSL nebula programs from various sources would be completely clean and without no changes to the tone.. which is of course not the case.

In my opinion the reason for The Glue to be so popular is two fold: It's very flexible (lots of extra functionality) and it's compression action is awesome. Simple as that. Does that make it "the best" SSL emulation? Not in my opinion.

Keep in mind that not all of the official SSL bus compressors are the same either. The current XLogic rack hardware is NOT exactly the same as the one found in the 4000 console. Afaik it's taken from the modern 9000 console. The compressors in Sand (there are 2 of them!) are from 4000 and 5000 models.
Bouroki wrote:All i'm saying is, it is easy to get impressed and excited with a 3 day old plugin, especially one whose unique technology you already believe in and have a predisposition to believe anything new they put out will be incredible. A more responsible answer to the OP's question would be more along the lines of "The Glue has been king for quite a while but i've been blown away so far with this brand new plugin and I do recommend everyone to check it out because it could well turn out to be the real deal".
Did you actually read my first response? I warned against all the caveats that come with the Nebula/Aqua technology. I'd call that plenty responsible.

I told the completely subjective truth of my experience, and it's not colored by hype or honeymoon this time. The SAND compressor is by far the most authentic SSL emulation I've ever heard. It answers the original posters question. He asked for the most authentic one and this is it in my opinion.. and not by a small margin either.

As for being predisposed to beliefs when it comes to Nebula/Aqua technology: I am intimately familiar with the technology. Heck, just ask the developer.. there are hardly "more difficult" people to convince than me and I'm about as critical a voice one can be.

"None of them. The current king is Acustica Audio Sand." looks like a definitive objective matter-of-fact statement to me and I had to challenge that. That's all.

I'll also finally add that it's not that Andy doesn't believe there isn't any extra mojo to be had from extra signal path coloration, it's just that he won't put the update out until it's nothing short of perfect. There is a reason why Cytomic only has 2 plugins out in all its years of existence - the guy is anal as can be. I appreciate that he didn't just add a flashy Drive knob that defaults to 60%, aliases like crazy, and adds 1.5db in volume so it immediately knocks your socks off as soon as you put it in.

I own the waves ssl and the ableton version of the glue. I like
them both, a lot. I have demoed the uad ssl strip but did not feel
i needed it.

I have also engaged in strong criticism of acustica audio to the point
that i got acused that i was employed by competitors, lol.
I am not a member of the family, or an aqua fanatic.

Having said all that:

Sand is a remarkable strip, and soon to be set of stand alone tools.
It has incredible quality and depth. The compressor is robust across diverse
types of use and material, does not introduce unwanted artifacts,
and "glues" like a charm. Check it out and you will see...

/good deed of the day

loook whhat i have found for you
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sh ... -test.html

i have used a hardware clone but without carefull a/b i can t comment.

the ssl is nice but the original have no sidechain filter, and no stereo unliking so it won t be ideal on many occasion , it tend to rub the bottom end and mess/collapse a little the stereo image
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Closest to the hardware i found duende ssl buscomp. We tested about 2 days with all the ssl buscompressor emulations available to us then.
Glue, Waves SSL, Duende. Played a lot of house and pop tracks, drum groups and instruments and tested various settings of compression.

Glue got close-ish with very high oversampling only, at least 16x iirc (at 44.1). Waves was not really close. But Duende's buscomp was very close to the hardware. With very close i mean it was near indistinguishable.

They all are great compressors btw with great result, each their own flavor.

the ni one si made by coolstuff lab btw, i m not familiar with it but i heard it in some shouthout on gearslutz and it sounded better than the glue at doing the ssl thing in this test, but take this with a grain a salt.. better you demo by yourself.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

If you only consider Waves SSL collection because of Busscomp, I'd go for The Glue. However, there's SSL Channelstrip which from my memory is very useable.
SAND might be interesting, I got demo running and it's actually not that scary CPU-wise on my computer and does sound impressive. But it also have that slightly sluggish feel from controls, longer loading times.

Plug-in compressors are not as good as HW, none.
So buy the cheapest one with an interface you enjoy.

Get AA - Tan Compressor.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

Return to “Effects”