Regarding a virus being detected when using Cerebrum-c4

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've gotten several reports about a trojan being detected when loading Cerebrum. The trojan is detected in a module called "CK_DEGRADER.SEP". This is a third-party module from a reputable developer whom I have spoken with about this issue. And as I suspected this is indeed a false positive, meaning the virus scanner thinks it's a virus but it's not really. It's just a suspicious line of code. So I did a scan on virustotal which allows you to check a suspected file on 42 virus scanners all at once. The file was detected as a trojan in 24 of them. So I emailed each company requesting them to look at the file and omit it from the virus database. I heard back from several saying that the file is clean, however the big scanners like McAffee are not as reasonable. The email responses are all automated and it seems impossible to talk to a human. But I'm still trying.

For the record, I use AVG and have had no issues with this or any other SynthEdit related false-positives.

I know that Cerebrum is no longer supported but MSE seems to have just started reporting this problem in the last few weeks. I have had this file on my computer for a couple of years with no problems. The false positive can have other effects, such as causing backups to fail when the realtime AV flags it up. I just setup an exclusion which seems to have sorted things out.

seismic1 wrote:I know that Cerebrum is no longer supported but MSE seems to have just started reporting this problem in the last few weeks. I have had this file on my computer for a couple of years with no problems. The false positive can have other effects, such as causing backups to fail when the realtime AV flags it up. I just setup an exclusion which seems to have sorted things out.
Glad you got it sorted, but if you still have trouble, I can try to report it somehow and have it removed from their database or whatever. That's not always successful, but it worked with a few other AVs in the past.

I wouldn't worry about it, Jack. Once I figured out what was going on, it was relatively easy to deal with.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”