a knob poll

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Which knob style you like

11%
6%
17%
8%
22%
25%
3%
none of these
8%

Total votes: 36

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you spare a while and let me learn about graphical preference concerning knob design? I'm working on something new and I wonder, if I should spend more time on designing controllers, or reuse a previous design. Thanks.

Its hard to say unless you see it in context. Maybe if you put some diff knobs on the current project and then ask....

Voted for 5, because they`re round and have that dial strip around but I would prefer inverted color for them like in 3.

Went for 2 - I like the arrow and the retro look.
Might have been an idea to use the same background for all the dials. (I know, lots of work involved!)
Good luck with whatever it is that you are working on. :tu:

I don't like all of them. But 1, 3 and 5 are more or less acceptable.

6 (like Valhalla's), but you need calibration marks around the knob on the faceplate. Makes it easier to read and more accurate to use.

I don't like any of those interfaces, having said that, focusing on just the knobs; I like number 5, they are similar to the Voxengo knobs.

The first are all too comic style for me. No. 6 is too simple. Fish for me.

Ayorinde wrote:Went for 2 - I like the arrow
I second this

I voted 6, more for the 2D concept then the actual implementation. How you turn it is more important for me, although if it's a knob you typically just set once per session and then leave in the same position, it's not a big deal.

I don't see well, so arrows indicate the number more readily @ sight. (I'm automating virtually at once so I want objectivity.) None of these GUIs are beautiful IMO.

Thank you. I have something to think about. Guess, I'll be doing graphics from scratch.

The context is a Kontakt romplesizer with XY pad to mix between 4 sources. The mix point would be automatable by game engine, float by itself, bounce off the pad edges, fly in circles by giving it a spin etc. Sort of Pong meets Time Pilot on a remix pad.

For me the best is #3 because it's both clean and good looking. I don't understand why #6 is so popular. Maybe it's the Ableton crowd influencing the poll?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”