What effect is causing this?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Noticed this in several plugs. I like it on lows...
Anyone know what this is and how to achieve this effect?

Got an example of what it sounds like?

It looks like a comb filter.

What's the plugin in the image and does it actually move like that?

It's not comb filtering,i was thinking either some kind of rippling (phase related) but it looks too pointy so i was leaning towards LF Noise being AM'd with the source sound,or... the other thing it sort of looks like, is a plugin that uses really short FFT sizes,which can sound a bit like some kind of AM..so yeah it looks like to me like some kind of low frequency noise/Amplitude Modulation,just in the lows

Would help if you actually said what the plugin was though
I

This is Greg Wells new Tone centric plugin but I noticed same in few other plugs. It's there with purpose but I can't figure out how to achieve the same. It tames and smoothes the low end...

Why did you clip off the y-axis? This looks like little more than a shot of the noise floor.

It's obviously a comb filter with modulation. What plugin it actually is, is another story. Tone2 has one that modulates.

As far as it being 'too pointy." -Not really, the above is what a comb filter is actually supposed to do. All the tell-tell signs of one set up for harmonic filtering are there, from the even spacing to the gain reduction from left to right.

Melda MComb can use an LFO to modulate. Setting up it's frequency filters the same, but with different gains should do it(if it can do positive gain). Some plugin out there can.

What is that plot, what are you measuring, with what settings?

Plugin analyzer, frequency...
It's not the noise floor, I lowered the output.
Thanks spacekid...I agree it looks like a comb.
Will try with Melda.

Selfik wrote:Plugin analyzer, frequency...
It's not the noise floor, I lowered the output.
Thanks spacekid...I agree it looks like a comb.
Will try with Melda.
From looking at the free one from Melda, it doesn't look like it does positive gain. I remember having one from Tone2 that did, it was either filterbank or bifilter. Oh, when I was looking, I also came across FXpansion(Etch I believe). I didn't investigate it much though.

Return to “Effects”