Will we ever see vsts of Korg Z1 or Yamaha VL?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You guys are not right. You know I can't back down from a challenge but I'll have to work on it some more later. I've spent all morning on this patch.

It doesn't matter how close you get to the sound, it's still not physical modelling. Many VAs can make pretty good approximations of all sorts of instruments, as artists like Wendy Carlos demonstrated years ago, but the point is not the sound per se but the process of sound production (ie the aim is to model the instrument that makes the sound, not just the sound). Otherwise you might as well just use a sample.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote:You guys are not right. You know I can't back down from a challenge but I'll have to work on it some more later. I've spent all morning on this patch.
I guess that, by now, and comparing with the example I posted using Reaktor, you realize how different PM is from Spire. To be fair, I can't say how close Z1 can get to that example, though.
Fernando (FMR)

Damn fmr you totally stole my thunder. Anyway, here's some Bach played by a terrible cellist.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/406 ... trings.mp3

This Reaktor ensemble, Serenade 3.0 not only sounds fine, but it convincingly emulates my non-existent playing skills.

EDIT: watch your levels! There seems to be a bow handling accident in the middle :phones:

a short section of korg z1 strings at ~0.50s
http://xoxos.net/music/sold.mp3

scuse the singing, i hadn't quite figured out what the notes were when i hit record... (yikes)

the sax used thereafter is also z1, and of course these are my patches so if they're naff sounding. (plus the file has been converted, ripped, converted..)

now would you guys please stop f**king up the forum by talking endlessly about a synthesizer you've never used or heard so people can actually deal with information from this world pleeeehzz.

the strings were pretty good. i used to play contrabass in grade school, so i might have an idea about how these instruments sound :dog:

*edit* jon's string patch sounds fine to me (lappy speaks)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

.jon wrote:Damn fmr you totally stole my thunder.
Sorry :lol:
.jon wrote: Anyway, here's some Bach played by a terrible cellist.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/406 ... trings.mp3

This Reaktor ensemble, Serenade 3.0 not only sounds fine, but it convincingly emulates my non-existent playing skills.

EDIT: watch your levels! There seems to be a bow handling accident in the middle :phones:
Great sound .jon :tu: Too bad you f"ckd the string on your cello :hihi:

Did you also get the sensor? I presume so.
Fernando (FMR)

That's just modwheel fiddling, guess Leapmotion would be pretty sweet for many things but I'm not that much into making music with realistic instruments to get one just for string emus. And I busted the cello anyway :D

That sax on xoxos' nice song sounds sweet.

fmr wrote:And here is a great example of physical modeled violin using Reaktor:
https://youtu.be/kLkPvmr93K8
This is cool. I'd love to have a controller like that, but I expect it really costs... [Edit: $80 for controller and $10 for the MIDI software is not bad, but the configuration looks tedious. It would really be cool if DAWs integrated support for such controllers.]

I wanted to respond to someone's comment earlier about FingerFiddle: (paraphrased) "But it's so hard to play".

Well.... Yeah. So is a real bowed instrument. This video shows that technique is very important when you want to utilize what physical modeling provides. It's STILL easier than a REAL bowed instrument (which I own, which is cheap and poor, and I suck at, but now I have some idea of what's involved).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

.jon wrote:That's just modwheel fiddling
Not quite, modwheel is one-dimensional (doesn't react to pressure, for example) - in this case the vertical position above the sensor also modulates the sound.

Kumi_27 wrote:
.jon wrote:That's just modwheel fiddling
Not quite, modwheel is one-dimensional (doesn't react to pressure, for example) - in this case the vertical position above the sensor also modulates the sound.
In the clip I posted the movement of the bow is only achieved via bowing the modwheel.

I also realized that Leap Motion is not as expensive as I thought, needs further studying.

Ah. Ok, Didn't catch that You're talking about different part of thread, sorry.

BTW I have D-Beam in my Roland and must say, that waving the hand above this simple sensor is kind of fun and can produce interesting results. And compared to this, the Leap Motion has way more features...

Here's Nick Batt doing one of his excellent reviews on the Leap Motion with MIDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovdIjK-Jvc

This would certainly add an element of "live action" to my solitary soft studio setup that could possibly be really beneficial for adding emotional movement. It's not just that it increases the number of simultaneously controllable parameters, but a sort of improved mind-body-soul interface with sound over knobs and faders that I think is worth investigating.

I wish Korg would release the STR-1 model from the Kronos as a VST.

Actually I wish they would release the various Kronos engines as VSTs, especially the HD-1 and AL-1 and MOD-7. I think $99 would be a very fair price for each engine, and Korg could reach a whole new market: users who are interested in only a few of the nine Kronos engines (like myself). Of course, these engines would not have to include all the many samples and sound sets that are part of the Kronos (that could be something you have to buy the big hardware box to get), but if I could load my own samples into the model as exciters, I'd still be happy.

It would be fantastic if Korg could include all the various engines that were included in the Z1, but perhaps that sacred tome of knowledge has indeed been lost. But really, would it be so hard to add in updated versions of the resonance osc and comb osc from the Z1? Those are the main points of interest that I see discussed in the Z1 manual. I'm sure the STR-1 plus some updated resonator models and comb features would make a lot of people happy.

As for emulations of performance and articulation provided by a human performer, I want to point out that Kaivo by Madrona Labs produces gorgeously various sounds all by itself. In this piece https://soundcloud.com/christian-huygen/intimations I'm just playing the (long held) notes on a keyboard, and Kaivo is using fragments of a sample of a squeaky bicycle pump to excite a model of a metal string and a wooden resonating body, thus giving rise to all sorts of sounds that resemble a pluck, or a finger squeaking as it slides along a string, for example. I'm not causing or controlling that at all. The lifelike accelerations and decelerations in plucking or fretting are caused by well tuned 2 dimensional LFOs modulating the granular scanning of the sample of the bicycle pump.

This is the kind of PM I want to be able to do: something that Sounds acoustic and rich and complex, without necessarily being physically possible, and without necessarily resembling any existing acoustic instrument.

Well, maybe Kaivo is in fact already the perfect PM instrument for me. And perhaps for you as well. (Try the demo!) But one always wants more, doesn't one? [g]

Still no VL1 plugin?

It's never happening, I think.

Return to “Instruments”