Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I keep having the exactly same problem with the Zebra2.

It works great in Bitwig but in Mixbus I have this right click problem, so i can just use the presets... It s the main DAW i use so it s too bad.. on Ardour 5 it s just the same.. I once had an ardour version where it worked correctly, but it was some 4.x nightly built and impossible to find out now which it was exactly... ;(

I just gave a try on Archlinux, Ardour 4.7 (from the package manager). Everything works fine.

What is saying Ardour/Mixbus support? Did you report the issue to them?

abique wrote:
I did file a rapport to them about it and got this answer:

"This topic has been discussed quite a bit among the Ardour developers
and users.

The linux GUI developer has chosen to use an esoteric method to
pop-open his menus. Rather than open a "window" he is launching an
entirely separate app to show the menu contents. This mechanism is not
compatible with Ardour/Mixbus on linux. ( the problem does not apply
to mac/windows ). We don't think it is sensible for Ardour/Mixbus to
make the changes needed to work-around this odd choice of
implementation."

So the problem is well known and they have investigated it and understood the problem quite well. Right now, it seem to me that the only hope is that some developer that's have been bitten by this issue checks the Ardour code and sends a patch to the Ardour project. If that's done, then it will be fixed by Harrison as well.

I was just about to say so, that if these plugins work in some DAWs, isn't it more likely (or pretty much guaranteed) an issue with the affected DAWs, rather than Alex' porting work?

Beamboom wrote:I was just about to say so, that if these plugins work in some DAWs, isn't it more likely (or pretty much guaranteed) an issue with the affected DAWs, rather than Alex' porting work?
No one has done anything wrong here. The u-he way of doing it is is odd, but legal (look at the previous page for why u-he are doing as they do) and the Ardour/Harrison folks are following the standards regarding implementing plugin support and they are as restrictive as possible when it comes to doing special solutions for certain plugins, which is a sensible way of doing it.

So the bad thing is that some users are in a grey zone where no vendors are really responsible to fix the problem - one can only hope that one or both of them fix it or a programmer looks at the Ardour source code and make a workaround there.

@beamboom: no, it's more a case of good luck that the method used to show menus etc. just happens to work with some DAWs/hosts and not with others. What is going on here has nothing to do with any plugin API standard, and everything to do with an extremely unconventional approach to the problem of "how do I get my plugin GUI to show a menu?". The solution used (so far) is to create an entirely new program to show the menu, which then relies on the window stacking behaviour of the window manager in question, which then relies on the window hinting behaviour of each DAW/host.

I just wanna say thanks to abique for making it possible to run these great tools on Linux.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers

abique wrote:I just gave a try on Archlinux, Ardour 4.7 (from the package manager). Everything works fine.

I just tried this as well, and it works really well! I'm on Manjaro x64 (arch), and u-he plugs with mixbus is acting strange, but with Ardour it's working perfectly. There are demos of mixbus available now, so it might be worth checking it out in mixbus on your system as well. I am surprised that they are running so well on ardour and so poorly on mixbus.

Hi everyone!
Simple and shy question here :scared: :
where do I report bugs of U-He Linux Beta?
(Zebra2/Zebralette won't use Ctrl/Alt/Shift/AltGr+Clic so I can't insert points in MSEG enveloppe editor, OS:Ubuntu 16.10, DAW: Tracktion 5) :D

Here is the right place.

Please make sure that your window manager does not grab those modifiers.

Thanks for the reply. Actually Zebra2 / Zebralette doesn't take any keyboard modifier, which includes everything like:
-Ctrl+clic, Ctrl+drag
-Alt+clic, Alt+drag
-Ctr+Alt+clic, Ctr+Alt+drag
-Shift+clic, Shift+drag
-AltGr+clic, AltGr+drag
-Super+clic, Super+drag
(-Version: Zebra2-4458
-Ubuntu 16.10 (Upgraded, no fresh install)
-Tracktion 5)
I also tried to deactivate Window grabing with Alt+drag:
(Dconf editor, org gnome desktop wm preferences mouse-button-modifier, <Alt><Super>)
The only annoying thing for now (I am just beginning with Zebralette) is that I can't create a point in the MSEG editor without Alt+clic. A workaround could be to allow point creation via right-clic menu.
Otherwise Zebra2 seems great and I'm interested into purchasing it. :tu:

Hey guys,

Have a look to viewtopic.php?f=31&t=472608 :-)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
First off, this is amazing! I switched to Linux a couple years ago and am overjoyed to find this amazing software available. Thanks so much!

I'm having an issue trying to run these plugins in Kxstudio, specifically in Bitwig. Here are the errors I'm seeing when running Bitwig via command line:

Code: Select all (#)

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255
Error reading metadata for file Bazille.32.so:com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255

Error reading metadata for file ACE.64.so:com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 134

Error reading metadata for file u-he/Bazille.64.so:com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 134

I see that earlier in the thread somebody else experienced these, but it didn't seem to affect the plugins working.

Additional info: Carla and Ardour won't load the plugins either.

Things I've tried:
- Reinstalling the plugins
- Manually installing (instead of using the script to auto-install all of them)
- Removing the "index" file in my Bitwig folder, as well as removing the "vst-cache" in the same place (per advice on other forums)

Anybody have any ideas?

Hi Chris,

Could you tell me the output of ldd ~/.u-he/Bazille/Bazille.64.so ?

Thank you.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hey! I think I got it working! Here is what finally worked to resolve the issue:
- There were some other .so plugins in /usr/lib/vst that were erroring out. I removed all of them, including the u-he ones
- I rebooted
- Again, I removed ~/.Bitwig-Studio/cache/vst-cache and ~/.Bitwgit-Studio/index so it would re-index everything
- Also removed every other u-he file on my computer just to be sure I knew where everything was
- Downloaded Bazille again
- Used install.sh to install
- Opened Bitwig, after a considerable period of time scanning, it found the 64 bit version of Bazille!
- SUCCESS!

Not sure, but perhaps some bad plugins were confusing Bitwig and Bitwig was taking its frustration out on Bazille.

Here is the output of ldd ~/.u-he/Bazille/Bazille.64.so
FWIW I ran this before the issue was resolved and did not see any "not found" messages

Code: Select all (#)

$ ~/Downloads/Bazille-4408$ ldd ~/.u-he/Bazille/Bazille.64.so
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffdf49a8000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f89f1a9f000)
	libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2 (0x00007f89f178b000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007f89f14e8000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f89f11a5000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f89f0f88000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f89f0d80000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f89f0a7c000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f89f06de000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f89f2278000)
	libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f89f04a0000)
	libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x00007f89f01f8000)
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00007f89effbc000)
	libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f89efd89000)
	libxcb-shm.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-shm.so.0 (0x00007f89efb86000)
	libxcb-render.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-render.so.0 (0x00007f89ef97d000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f89ef755000)
	libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1 (0x00007f89ef54b000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f89ef339000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007f89ef120000)
	libpng12.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0x00007f89eeefa000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f89eecf6000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0x00007f89eeacc000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f89ee8c8000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f89ee6c2000)

Return to “u-he”