Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fmr wrote:But is there an issue with distributing the binaries, if the code is also distributed with them?
Nope, that would be perfectly fine and GPL compliant. But not everyone is willing to release source code, so it might be a problem for potential contributors to the project.
fmr wrote:Where does the Steinberg VST SDK enters? Is it necessary to compile the binary? Isn't JUCE enough?
JUCE is not enough, to compile a VST plugin you do need the SDK headers, and those can only be distributed by Steinberg.

So there are two options for binary distribution:

- Binary-only: no need for the user to download VST SDK and compile herself, but not compatible with GPL.

- Binary+Source (bundled or referenced): ok with GPL, but if someone wants to compile for some reason (to try modifications, to generate an architecture-optimized binary, etc.) he has to add the VST SDK to the source tree by himself.

subterfuge wrote:I have a similar problem Andywanders mentioned earlier, the GUI is too wide for my monitor resolution. If I understood it right, one of the optional skins provided with the package has the old size? Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference here, I cannot get those alternative skins working. The instructions tell to place the skin files under Documents/OB-Xda. Only place where I have Documents folder in my system (Win10) is c:\Users\myusername\Documents\. Skin files don't work there, so I tried under c:\My Documents, doesn't work there either. Tested a possible absolute path(?) also by creating a new c:\Documents folder, no luck.
I similarly had some issues getting things up and running. Hopefully George adds an installer and can improve skin handling in the future.

Simply:

1. Go to: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\
2. Add a new folder there named: OB-Xd
3. Now, go to: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd

If you want to use the Classic skin, then

4. Move the entire "Classic" folder (only) into: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd
5. The folder c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd\Classic should contain the skin files for the classic folder, the OB-Xd folder above it should be empty

If you want to use the wider, Blue skin, then

5. Do not copy the classic folder, just put the main.png file into c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd

At least, I think that's how it works.

Thanks for the explanation, cucio. Now I think I got the whole picture. The second option works, IMO, and if someone wants to make modifications, then he/she has to add the VST SDK (no big deal, IMO - anyone able to do such modifications and willing to do so most probably already have the VSt SDK, anyway).

So, I don't understand where came all this fuzz about the license from. Apparently, if George distributes the sources together with the binay (without the VST SDK), he is completely within the law and fulfills the license requirements.
Fernando (FMR)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: I similarly had some issues getting things up and running. Hopefully George adds an installer and can improve skin handling in the future.
Yes, skin handling could be better. Or at least work like described. :D
Thank you for your instructions. I've already tried it like that into 3 different locations
c:\Users\myusername\Documents\Ob-Xd
c:\My Documents\OB-Xd and newly created
c:\Documents\OB-Xd
It just doesn't work here.

subterfuge wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: I similarly had some issues getting things up and running. Hopefully George adds an installer and can improve skin handling in the future.
Thank you for your instructions. I've already tried it like that into 3 different locations
Right...but did you try:

c:\Users\myusername\Documents\Ob-Xd\Classic

AND then delete the main.png for the default/wide skin?

subterfuge wrote:
1) It must be your personal folder... For example, I have "Default" "public" and "User". The user one has a lock, that's the right one.

2) The folder in Documents must be "Ob-Xd", nothing different.

3) Don't forget the skin must be renamed to "main.png" if it has a different name, like the Skin I uploaded.

4) It must be png, jpg doesn't work.

subterfuge wrote:
It's the first option, but subterfuge is right. It isn't working here either. This "skin" business is a complete mess.
Fernando (FMR)

The skins worked fine for me (on OSX), I just followed the instructions, and no problems here switching between them etc.

Maybe it's just a Windows problem. I didn't try George build yet, maybe he corrected that.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Maybe it's just a Windows problem. I didn't try George build yet, maybe he corrected that.
No, it works on Windows.
It's easy if you know how

fmr wrote:So, I don't understand where came all this fuzz about the license from.
Someone was asking where the source code was. It is currently not being distributed.

Lesha wrote:
fmr wrote:Maybe it's just a Windows problem. I didn't try George build yet, maybe he corrected that.
No, it works on Windows.
I installed Version 1.3.1 and it worked. Just removed the main.png from the OB-Xd folder (I was using the wider blue skin) and moved the Classic folder out of the Skins folder to the upper OB-Xd folder.
Fernando (FMR)

Dozius wrote:
fmr wrote:So, I don't understand where came all this fuzz about the license from.
Someone was asking where the source code was. It is currently not being distributed.
What do you mean. Then, what is this: https://github.com/2DaT/Obxd ?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Thanks for the explanation, cucio. Now I think I got the whole picture. The second option works, IMO, and if someone wants to make modifications, then he/she has to add the VST SDK (no big deal, IMO - anyone able to do such modifications and willing to do so most probably already have the VSt SDK, anyway).

So, I don't understand where came all this fuzz about the license from. Apparently, if George distributes the sources together with the binay (without the VST SDK), he is completely within the law and fulfills the license requirements.
The problem is this isn't true. The GPL in all versions requires the complete distribution of source-code with any binary.

The LGPL helps in some cases. You can compile the VST wrapper closed-source with the LGPL-compatible JUCE plug-in entirely open-source. The VST wrapper is then allowed to dynamically link with the LGPL (not GPL) plug-in to form the complete VST plug-in from two separate parts. The problem though is that the JUCE license is not LGPL.

With GPL all components must be open-source and under the same license. It isn't allowed to release a VST compatible plug-in binary without the source-code. This is because the VSTSDK used by JUCE is not under GPL license.

The purpose of the GPL is to allow complete control (debugging, modifications, enhancements, distribution) to everyone. If you compile a VST-compatible binary but do not offer the VSTSDK as GPL, it means the VST plug-in is not possible to re-compile without the user agreeing to a further license. This is against the terms of the GPL.

No matter what you do, without a closed-source JUCE license ($1000) it isn't possible to distribute the VST JUCE plug-in. Due to this, it isn't possible to incorporate any pure GPL source-code into that plug-in (you also require special non-GPL closed-source licenses. Like the JUCE commercial license.)

Review here:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.en.html

(Additional terms only apply to material under GPL 3 license, GPL 2 is not fully compatible with GPL 3 due to these additional terms. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html In other words you can't freely convert source-code licensed as GPL 2 to a GPL 3 license without explicit permission from the authors. )
GPL2 wrote: 2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

2.b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

3.a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
3.b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
3.c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
The VSTSDK can not meet these criteria.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
subterfuge wrote:I have a similar problem Andywanders mentioned earlier, the GUI is too wide for my monitor resolution. If I understood it right, one of the optional skins provided with the package has the old size? Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference here, I cannot get those alternative skins working. The instructions tell to place the skin files under Documents/OB-Xda. Only place where I have Documents folder in my system (Win10) is c:\Users\myusername\Documents\. Skin files don't work there, so I tried under c:\My Documents, doesn't work there either. Tested a possible absolute path(?) also by creating a new c:\Documents folder, no luck.
I similarly had some issues getting things up and running. Hopefully George adds an installer and can improve skin handling in the future.

Simply:

1. Go to: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\
2. Add a new folder there named: OB-Xd
3. Now, go to: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd

If you want to use the Classic skin, then

4. Move the entire "Classic" folder (only) into: c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd
5. The folder c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd\Classic should contain the skin files for the classic folder, the OB-Xd folder above it should be empty

If you want to use the wider, Blue skin, then

5. Do not copy the classic folder, just put the main.png file into c:\Users\myusername\Documents\OB-Xd

At least, I think that's how it works.
It worked for me, but then I upgraded my system from Win 10 to Win 7 and everything works now,

:D

Return to “Instruments”