Free CA-2A from Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

I don't do vocals, but I do do drums. Is this the plug for me?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I don't do vocals, but I do do drums. Is this the plug for me?
Only if your drums sound like farts or vocals, it seems.
No signature here!

jens wrote:Who for example?
Sad to see people put things into the mouth of other people which they never said.
I haven't put any words in anyone's mouth, just read the last few pages and you'll get this sensation. People are talking more about farts than the actual plugin. If you don't have anything useful to say better keep it to yourself, that's my way of thinking.
ghettosynth wrote:
nIGhT-SoN wrote:And when you think Cakewalk was doing a good thing giving it for free. I guess we'll see more of this from other companies too... Sad to see people so disgusted about a free plugin.
You should go back and read my posts more carefully. Cakewalk is doing what every vendor does, they are marketing themselves, nothing more, nothing less. They, of course, want people to think that it's intrinsically good because that helps people perceive the value of the product and their firm.

How people perceive free things vary. Sometimes people over-value free product, like when they'll wait in line for hours for a free Ben and Jerry's ice cream cone. Sometimes it makes no difference, e.g., things of high utility such as "mosquito nets" are not used more or less because they were free, or not.

People tend to value free things less when they feel they are being manipulated, hence, Cakewalk doesn't want you to feel that way because that undermines the value of the campaign.

The entire modeled plugin industry is built on the perception of value of the real thing. It's a few lines of code, not a box of tubes and cloth wiring. It's really all about the mathematical function of an optical VCA. So, what you're probably noticing is that some of us don't readily buy into the hype. It's just a modeled optical compressor. Neat, but I don't feel like someone just gave me a box of tubes and some cloth wiring, they traded me a few lines of code for a few lines of information. Seems fair enough, and I played the game legitimately giving them genuine information. I'm not in their debt, we completed a fair transaction, I am happy enough with my end of the bargain, I hope that they are happy with theirs; if not, that's their problem, not mine. This product gets no less criticism or praise than any product that I paid real cash for. It wasn't actually free, it just didn't cost very much.
Ok, every software is just lines of codes, bits or what you want to call it, so if I get it straight piracy should be legal since it's just code that's replicated, you don't actually steal the unit, the tubes as you say it, the real palpable stuff? People worked for this plugin, Cakewalk payed for it to be made. That info you gave doesn't give any money unless they share it with other parties and even then it's not sure if they get the whole price of the product. Some people might buy other stuff from them after this, but I'm more than sure that 70% of them won't.

I think this was done for people to find more about Cakewalk and get a better impression about their company, that will help them on the long run, but what they did, giving it for free, it's no less nicer no matter what marketing strategy they had in mind. They could've charged $5 for it or $1, but they decided not to. We should compare it with other free products and see where it stands and I think it's in the top 3 compressors that are given away for free, if not the best but I can say that for sure since I haven't tried every free compressor.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: If you don't have anything useful to say better keep it to yourself, that's my way of thinking.
I shuldn't have to write a serious reply like that in a thread such as this one here, however I now feel the neccessity of telling you that these sorts of threads have a more than decade old tradition here at KVR.
As such they are part of what makes KVR KVR.

It's just that some of you guys totally do not get it and completely misinterpret what is going on and your "way of thinking" is based on this misinterpretation.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Sad to see people put things into the mouth of other people which they never said.
I haven't put any words in anyone's mouth, just read the last few pages and you'll get this sensation. People are talking more about farts than the actual plugin. If you don't have anything useful to say better keep it to yourself, that's my way of thinking.
Ok, every software is just lines of codes, bits or what you want to call it, so if I get it straight piracy should be legal since it's just code that's replicated, you don't actually steal the unit, the tubes as you say it, the real palpable stuff?
If that's what you think that I said, then, no, you don't get it. Code has value, but a collection of code that purports to model something physical isn't intrinsically more valuable than similar code that models something imaginary or non-existent but that serves a similar function. Any additional value is created in the mind of the user in the belief that the model somehow is a replacement for the expensive real item.

It's a model of an optical compressor, not an actual optical compressor, and it's fair to judge it on that alone.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
+1
Unfortunately, since this is a thread related to Cakewalk and/or SONAR, some people are going to just fill it with nonsense.

At least they're not trolling as badly as they were earlier in the week. :roll:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:Unfortunately, since this is a thread related to Cakewalk and/or SONAR, some people are going to just fill it with nonsense.
Yeah, but Cakewalk shot my dog, stole my wife and left my children in the street... er, sorry. The problem is some people don't realise when a joke is wearing thin.

Rather than reading your off topic whining I'd be interesting in hearing you guys' opinion on how this thing sounds on vocals and drums...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

:hihi:

Oh, the irony.

jens wrote:Rather than reading your off topic whining I'd be interesting in hearing you guys' opinion on how this thing sounds on vocals and drums...
For as much as I seem indifferent, this thing actually does sound really good on vocals.

So, who all here paid 249$ for the Waves one?

juhhie wrote:So, who all here paid 249$ for the Waves one?
I demoed it, it's shite on drums.

ghettosynth wrote:
juhhie wrote:So, who all here paid 249$ for the Waves one?
I demoed it, it's shite on drums.
What about beatbox?

LA-2As warm things up. ...they EQ all the warmth and low mids and bass. When you put bass and drums in them they get fatter and bigger. And unless you hit them way hard and make the tubes sizzle they don't really distort.

— Jim Scott
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Return to “Effects”