High DPI Laptop: vst plugins GUIs are too small.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use the windows quick zoom function. Windows key with the plus/minus keys.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Kraznet wrote:I use the windows quick zoom function. Windows key with the plus/minus keys.
That's cool, didn't know that function. :)

mystran wrote: If you're taking about pixel-doubling then this is complete non-sense. You just disable texture filtering and draw a quad and the hardware will do it for you. With legacy Direct3D9 you need to make sure your pixel-to-texel mapping is correct (since the API specifies pixel and texel centers differently, so you usually need half-texel offsets), but with any other API it's really hard to get it wrong.
Well unfortunately the functionality isn't commonplace because across all the different OS and library variations (different hardware/drivers) over the years there has never been a "one-size fits all" solution.

Yes I'm sure it is possible on any particular system to get the right result, but it isn't possible for that single solution to work in every environment out there.

I'm sure you could write such a tool to magnify the content in a window. Taking into account all the complications involved however (various OSes, various formats for pixel data, various hardware and drivers) your tool would only work correctly (if at all) on a very select set of systems.

Such a tool does not currently exist. I was not trying to say it would be impossible to create one but merely to explain why one currently does not exist.

The "magnify" tool that ships with various versions of Windows uses the configuration it does because that was the default for the library they used and therefore the easiest way to get the job done. What is the reason they didn't include configuration for the interpolation type or an option to disable it?

In fact the function of the tool depends upon the video driver!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

chk071 wrote:
Kraznet wrote:I use the windows quick zoom function. Windows key with the plus/minus keys.

That's just a shortcut to the Windows Magnifier. It distorts the picture. .:(

Aciddose, do you think there would be less distortion when one turns off hardware acceleration?

I've no idea.

If it worked that would be great, although I assume it would then be doing the zoom in software with something like memcpy. For larger GUIs this might be very slow. Could affect your frame-rates.

You'd also still be limited to whatever interpolation (nearest-neighbor, linear, ...) used in software. Although a perfect integer scale with nearest-neighbor would probably look less blurry than what it's using now, it wouldn't necessarily be the best solution.
Last edited by aciddose on Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

zxant wrote:
chk071 wrote:

That's just a shortcut to the Windows Magnifier. It distorts the picture. .:(

Aciddose, do you think there would be less distortion when one turns off hardware acceleration?
I find it works fine for zooming in to small plug-ins temporarily.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

wow this is one of the most useful things I've learned about windows!

Which DAWs still have this problem?

Bitwig and Reason - since VSTs were introduced - are handling this very well, Live finally got their shit together in v10. Of the DAWs I own, only Studio One 3 still lags behind, offering two choices: a proper-sized plugins with blurry S1 GUI or sharp GUI with small plugins.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

functionform wrote:
wow this is one of the most useful things I've learned about windows!
To close it press Winkey & ESC
Then after starting it again with Winkey & + it starts at your last zoom level.

i also have 'enable bitmap smoothing' disabled in the magnifier settings, don't like the smoothing. Rather see the pixels :D

Over the next few years, It will eventually boil down to whats more important to you. Having an HD screen or having access to the hundreds of old plugins that may never be updated for larger GUI.

Personally if I get an FHD or 4k, I will probably still keep my old screen connected.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

This is an area where Apple gets is right. The OS handles HiDPI scaling for anything that is not HiDPI-aware, so all my old VSTs look the same size whether on HiDPI or regular resolutions.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”