Dynamic Equalizers, how many are out there and which do you use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Izak Synthiemental wrote:
b15fliptop wrote:I've got Voxengo Gliss, Melda MDynamicEQ, Nova, and TB Flx, and have tried all of the others listed. Flx is the one to beat, IMO.
I personally have to disagree, but ultimately it's a matter of what works for you. I tried TB Fix demo some time ago and the interface was unfortunately too cluttered and disorganised for my taste. TDR Nova on the other hand has has a interface that works instantly: it's easy to make adjustments and dial in the right sound. The low- and highpass filters are very usable + the EQ has a smooth sound due to the parallel design of it.

My opinion in short: TB Fix is nice, but Nova has the better interface, low- and highpass filters and better sound due to parallel equalizer design.

What do you prefer in TB Fix?
There are a lot of filter types. These are most awesome feature imo.
(You can check what is in flx on manual.)
You can draw a compression curve with 3 nods and soft knee option.
You can choose phase option between linear phase and auto phase (for preventing pre ringing effect.)

If you are comfortable with nova, and get what you want, then its yours. Nova is good dyn eq too.

I have tried Nova on a mix now, and really like it.

But I noticed that it uses a ton of CPU, it is amongst the most CPU-hungry plug-ins I used in a mix with dozends of others plug-ins.

Is this normal for a dynamic EQ, or does Nova behave worse in this regard than other dynamic EQs?

It has a lot of features going at the same time, so the high CPU hit is normal. It has an eco mode for a reason.

Thanks everyone for your reviews, I hadn't seen both Tb Fix and AE600.

I find the best candidates either Nova or TB Fix. But I have to say that having tried other alternatives I am not quite satisfied. I mainly want to control transient-ish signals, mainly the kick.

For instance, Fabfilter Pro_MB does not quite make it, I cannot get punch in the sub-bass, it gets empowered bot not punchy (even in hard knee and expansion upwards/downwards both in linear and dynamic phase). I find this more mastering oriented as I said.

As for Ozone 7, I can not achieve drastic results even tho there are more parameters to change than in Neutron. Again too mastering oriented

In Neutron I can quite get what I want but not fine tune it (no attack, release etc).

I am ending up using distorsion and eqing in several stages but it's not as predictable as a dynamic full spectrum control.

I will test TB-Fix and Nova and let you know my thoughts. AE600 goes out of budget

sinkmusic wrote:TB Flx4 is a beast.
Where is version 4? - it still says 3 on the site

aMUSEd wrote:
sinkmusic wrote:TB Flx4 is a beast.
Where is version 4? - it still says 3 on the site
Flx comes as a set of two plugins: Flx is stereo & Flx4 is 4-in for sidechain.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Ah!

J-909 wrote: I mainly want to control transient-ish signals, mainly the kick.

For instance, Fabfilter Pro_MB does not quite make it, I cannot get punch in the sub-bass, it gets empowered bot not punchy (even in hard knee and expansion upwards/downwards both in linear and dynamic phase). I find this more mastering oriented as I said.
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewa ... ersweet-v3

Take a different approach to transients maybe?

spacekid wrote:

Hi there,
I already tried Bittersweet a few months ago, it was buggy for me (Win7, I don't know if that was the reason) so I looked for other transient shapers. I got Waves multiband Trans-X which is the one I work with normally, but still cannot get that sound you know? I definitely need to tweak the band structure (Q, gain and dynamics working on the gain). That is why I looked at Neutron, it includes both structures and can get quite good results, but still not tweakable enough on dynamic-eq!

J-909 wrote:
spacekid wrote:

Hi there,
I already tried Bittersweet a few months ago, it was buggy for me (Win7, I don't know if that was the reason) so I looked for other transient shapers. I got Waves multiband Trans-X which is the one I work with normally, but still cannot get that sound you know? I definitely need to tweak the band structure (Q, gain and dynamics working on the gain). That is why I looked at Neutron, it includes both structures and can get quite good results, but still not tweakable enough on dynamic-eq!
I see :) I usually separate the tone and transients via separate plugins, so I'm not sure about any EQ's that might get you there.

You might have a look at Audiority's TS-1, a frequency-dependent transient shaper; and SKNote's Mattertone, a multi-band envelope shaper. They work well to emphasise transients at specific frequencies.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

GlissEQ has been my goto for almost 10 years? Amazing product.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

J-909 wrote:Thanks everyone for your reviews, I hadn't seen both Tb Fix and AE600.

I find the best candidates either Nova or TB Fix. But I have to say that having tried other alternatives I am not quite satisfied. I mainly want to control transient-ish signals, mainly the kick.

As for Ozone 7, I can not achieve drastic results even tho there are more parameters to change than in Neutron. Again too mastering oriented

In Neutron I can quite get what I want but not fine tune it (no attack, release etc).

I am ending up using distorsion and eqing in several stages but it's not as predictable as a dynamic full spectrum control.

I will test TB-Fix and Nova and let you know my thoughts. AE600 goes out of budget
Not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve but if you are trying to use a dynamic equalizer on a single kick sample/sound to get "punch", I'd suggest a very different approach.

Or are you trying to give extra punch to a kick that is already within a mix or a drumloop?

If you absolutely have to go with the "lets EQ it dynamically!" approach then a something like Melda Dynamic EQ or even FabFilter Saturn could be a lot more suitable (but perhaps too much control and fiddling to set them up). In saturn for instance you can build your own transient shaper and then target it at anything.. including the volume of a split band.. or just the EQ part of the split band.

Having said all that, I still suspect you are trying to create "punch" in a very strange way. You can't think of just a part of the frequency spectrum in a sound as "punchy". Transient shaping a very narrow band of frequencies (for instance just the fundamental of a kick) does NOT create punch. It can actually do the very opposite and make something "flabby" and "slow" feeling.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Depending on the applications I use these;

Melda MAutoDynamicEQ (not MdynamicEQ) MautoDynamic has more autobands and many other functions like matching EQ etc...

The next 2 below are not really Auto EQ but used in a certain way may get your bass to pump or not!

Waves C6 Multiband with side chain. Not really an EQ but it can compress/expand certain frequency as the audio presents itself.

Not an Auto EQ but Cableguys Volume Shaper. It has 3 bands that can duck seperately using LFO or herts.
YOu can draw volume levels at each band to get wicked results.

J-909 wrote:Ok, I have been looking for a good dynamic-eq for quite a time. The most complete and much like how I want it is Mdynamic eq from Melda but I would like to hear some opinions before buying and consider other plugins. I somehow don't like the way Melda's eq works, at least for managing each band graphically, I love Fabfilter Q2's system for that.

So far I've used:

- Fabfilter Pro-MB: Not really a dynamic eq but close to it. Cannot really act as equalizer since bands are too wide

- Ozone Dynamic eq: Too mastering-ish approach, I cannot get for instance tight bass pumping or harsh eq.

- Neutron Dynamic eq: My favourite so far but too simple. Cannot change attack-release times and too few parameters.

Anyone has tried Melda? Any other considerations? :tu:
HOFA IQ-EQ is one of the best I've used.

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/iq-eq/

Return to “Effects”