Way To Send Audio Through A VST Instrument To Use Its Effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to send audio through a VST Instrument (obviously one that has a built in effects section) allowing you to use its effects with audio from another source as opposed to its own?

I would imagine no because VST Instruments are probably programmed to specifically to use the sounds it is programmed to generate, but I always wondered if this was in some way possible?

I don't have a particular VST Instrument in mind that I am looking to do this with, it is more out of curiousity.

Thank You

Most instruments just input midi. If they can be used to process audio, they usually include an effect version of the plugin. Arturia minimoog V had one I think. I own it, but never tried it.

Plenty of soft synths have effects versions ... KX77FREE synths for example.

Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Developer needs to make a FX version that you can load on the Hosts audio or group channels. If there's only a Synth version, you can't do it.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Developer needs to make a FX version that you can load on the Hosts audio or group channels. If there's only a Synth version, you can't do it.
Thats not correct, it depends on the host and what it allows you to do.

(For example in VSTHost, which is fully modular, you can route the output of a plugin into any plugin that accepts external audio and it will work fine regardless of whether the receiving plugin is a FX version or not.)

The same probably applies to all modular hosts.

ENV1 wrote:
electro wrote:Developer needs to make a FX version that you can load on the Hosts audio or group channels. If there's only a Synth version, you can't do it.
Correct. For example REAPER does not distinguish between VST and VSTi.

Chris-S wrote:
ENV1 wrote:
Correct. For example REAPER does not distinguish between VST and VSTi.
Well REAPER does distinguish, (i.e. it shows plugins as VST or VSTi in the list), but it doesnt care what you put on a track and in what order, thats certainly true. (In other words REAPER doesnt enforce anything with regards to plugin types, it leaves it up to the user to decide whether the chain makes any functional sense or not.)

However, you still cannot use non-FX versions in REAPER in the same way that you can in VSTHost. Because when you put a non-FX plugin after another plugin in REAPER, (lets say z3ta+ into the minimoog), the audio coming from z3ta+ will not be 'blocked' by the minimoog, which means there will be an audio-through which is most likely not desired. (Or at least not always.) The minimoog FX version fixes this problem by not passing the incoming audio through, thus the z3ta+ audio will not be heard unless you enable the minimoogs external-audio-in and press one of its keys.

Hello Everyone,
Thank You all for the responses

From time to time I have seen certain VST instruments come with their own FX versions I was wondering more on a general level of ones that don't offer this option.

ENV1
Thank You for your response
I actually use VSTHost on occasion, it is a great program (I know it was not designed for it, but I always wished this program had a mixer, a piano roll and a track sequencer and became a little simple DAW, I have the same wish that Audacity would some day gain these features but it does not seem that either will go that route).
Anyways I don't know a ton about VSTHost, so I might not understand exactly your response.
Please correct me if I am wrong, you are not saying that every VST instrument can receive audio, but you are saying that in VSTHost if that instrument does accept audio into it, it will have a little green audio connection box on the left side of the VST instrument module.

miketurn wrote:...you are not saying that every VST instrument can receive audio, but you are saying that in VSTHost if that instrument does accept audio into it, it will have a little green audio connection box on the left side of the VST instrument module.
Correct.

The important parts to remember are:

- Not all plugins can receive audio
- Those that can receive audio have a blue node on the left
- Some have a blue node but no incoming audio is actually being processed by the plugin

As to your other comments, i agree wholeheartedly. It would be great if VSTHost had a built-in sequencer/pianoroll and some sort of trackmixer because its really a fine host. (In fact i remember speaking to Hermann personally about this once, but his response was (paraphrasing here) that he has other priorities at the moment so its probably not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever.) At any rate, personally i overcome this lack by using PolyGrid as a pianoroll/sequencer and multiple instances of FreeG for mixing purposes. Obviously this doesnt allow one to pull off elaborate automation schemes, (only MIDI CCs per-step), but since PolyGrid syncs to the Play button (and 'playhead' position) of VSTHosts waveplayer you can absolutely make entire songs 'oldschool-style' and very often i find that totally sufficient.

If you want to give PolyGrid a try, go here and scroll down a bit.

Sonalksis FreeG here.

ENV1
Thank You again for your response

Okay that makes sense with regards to VSTHost.
That is cool that you mentioned the DAW features to the creator of the program, too bad he was not interested. I can understand, probably not worth it to him to program those things, but still an amazing program. When you see somebody creating great programs like that, you want so badly for them to make more stuff because of how talented they are.
As far as Audacity getting some of those features I read an article / interview a while back that I believe mentioned that some of the developers were considering taking that program that route and other members of their team wanted to keep things simple.
I unfortunately don't see that happening any time soon either.
LMMS has all of those things, but then on the flip side does not have the ability to receive audio / apply effects in realtime.
Funny how each program has its own individual strength, if only there was a way to combine all of these great programs into one.
I have recently found a couple more things to try, which I will share if they turn out to be good.

Creepy that you mention PolyGrid and gave that link because right after I made that post earlier I went on one of my searches and ended up on that very page and I looked at that very program. I realized that I had it but never really tried it out, I will now have to look into it more. So many different programs to try it can get overwhelming sometimes.

I actually have Sonalksis FreeG as well, I don't know why, but I never really thought about it like that, that running a multiple instances of it in a program like VSTHost creates a full mixer.

Thank You again very much for sharing.

What do you know, Hermann has just released an update to VSTHost which features a mixer plugin!

I havent actually tried it out yet, (and i definitely need to see if i can skin that thing), but there it is, 4 Stereo Input channels and a Master with EQs, and you can use as many instances as you want.

EDIT: Its even better than i thought! The mixer gets bigger as you connect plugins, in other words its not only 4 channels and a Master, you get ALL channels of ALL connected plugins and a Master, which means one instance is enough.

This is great. Exactly what VSTHost needed. Off to more testing...

click for fullsize

@ENV1
Ahh thank you for alerting me of this, how weird is that, just started talking about it and after 3 years of no visible activity, all of a sudden a new version of VSTHost is released.

I tested it rather quickly, but to be honest I don't know if I am a huge fan of the mixer as of yet.
Your advice of using the separate FreeG plugins seems to offer more control / ease of use in my opinion, so far. Although it is nicer to be able to see all the channels at once in the new mixer.

This is just the first release so I am sure that this mixer will evolve over time.
The fact that a new version has been released period is the thing that I am most excited about.
Will be interesting to see where this program goes.

I see you created a new thread about this release, I will post a response, because I have a little bit more info to share, not that anyone really needs to hear it.

Thank You again for your response.

Return to “Effects”