Soft synths that really sound 'alive'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:I'm not sure where you guys are getting spire as the benchmark for "alive". The thing suffers terminally from lower quality audio rates due to catering to the EDM crowd.
No offense Dasheesh, but that's about the most ridiculous thing i've read here for quite a while now. :D

So, why do i feel like Spire sounds alive? Well, it doesn't suffer from the typical soft synth niggles, like sounding as if it came from a tin, not sounding very wide with unison, not having any bottom end, or "bang" when you close the filter with fast decay times, not lacking top end. It also doesn't get dull and boring with many sounds, or is restricted to "this use only", like, you can only do basses with it, or only leads, because anything else sounds crap. The latter is the most important thing for an "alive" feeling, that it doesn't get dull and boring with some sounds, but does a broad palette of different sounds very good. The only other synth i would say does that as good, or even better, is Largo. ANYTHING else i tried suffered from the described problems.

The problem with this topic will be that there are different interpretations of what is an "alive" sound though. For some, it's probably just that the synth distorts, or detunes like mad, like the old machines everyone seems so keen on using. :P It may add to the "alive" feeling, yes, but it's surely not everything. Retrologue for example has a lot of drive in the filter, even without distortion, yet, it doesn't feel very alive to me, rather softsynthie. I think soft synth development still has a long way to go, and the biggest obstacle IMO is the different interpretations, views, perferences, and "ears" of the developers. IMO, there are really few who really nail the sound. At least the sound i'm after.

It's in the modulation rates buddy. lots of stepping and phasing and distortions going on. All you gotta do is put it up to a higher audio rate instrument (one that you DON"T have to layer) to see for your self.

Guy's get Softube Modular everything else is just weak as hell compared to it, no competition for that beast.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Dasheesh wrote:The thing suffers terminally from lower quality audio rates due to catering to the EDM crowd. They are really doing spire a disservice by not bringing up the audio and modulation rates on spire. IT needs WAY smoother modulations. <...> but I really have to jack the shit out of the modulation amounts to get it to sound good and you have to layer it to get good sound out of it. It doesn't stand up when you put it next to high quality audio rates, but neither does sylenth, or Hive, or oddity2 without good layering techniques. I would argue that hive is way more alive sounding than spire <...> but are similar in quality of sound in the mix. <...> They can not stand up next to synthmaster, ace, DUNE2, or Mpowersynth though.
BULLSHIT :!: :!: :!:

shroom81 wrote:Guy's get Softube Modular everything else is just weak as hell compared to it, no competition for that beast.
Not until they sort the crippled patch management that makes it a pain to use in some hosts if you want to be able to share patches between them.

Since the op mentions Spire as being something close to something.
I feel that Spire is one of the worst synths I've ever tried.
Without effects it's just tin can sounding pings of nothing.
Mostly aimed at people who only want the sound of metal scraping, and nails on chalk boards.
It excels at making the ugliest non-organic sounds possible.
Naturally only non-musician type daw jockey's that draw dots on a piano roll, and have no idea what velocity is used for, like Spire. Worst synth I've heard yet.

It's "envelope follower Sunday" - or at least the second time I'll be recommending their use, today. I consider "alive" to be about how you develop your sound and the most reactive method that I have found is to introduce envelope followers where appropriate.

In general, the more parameters which depend on the adjustment of other parameters, the more "alive" the sound will seem. As long as each variation doesn't deviate too far from the original sound or retains its musicality within the context of the mix, parameter interdependency leads to what I call a more "organic" sound.

mcnoone wrote:Since the op mentions Spire as being something close to something.
I feel that Spire is one of the worst synths I've ever tried.
Lol...you are right...Spire is the most DIGITAL synth and there is nothing organic about it.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Personally I love spire, but it's a unique piece. Personally I view it as a my software Modal in use. The filter algorithms are classics, it just needs higher audio quality to be brought up to modern instrument standards. It would make all the difference in the world. with quality comes cpu though and the kids wouldn't stand for it.

mcnoone wrote: It excels at making the ugliest non-organic sounds possible.
My experience is that a synth which is able to make really ugly, ear-piercing tones (Like Spire or Virus) also excells at making exciting and very playful/musically sounding patches. When a synth can have excessive top end or squeaking exaggerated resonance, you can tame it when ajustiung the patch and get a timbre with that necessary little bit of "oomph", but if your synth always plays safe, you can't really make it shine (like Hive or Dune2 - they both are too tame, good for pads or mellow background sounds, but try to make an edgy lead with any of them - they will try hard but won't deliver)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

aMUSEd wrote: Not until they sort the crippled patch management that makes it a pain to use in some hosts if you want to be able to share patches between them.
Get out of the stone age and get Ableton Live 8) and whats wrong with saving fxp?
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Spire was created with trance in mind, no doubt about it. It's a Russian synth, after all.

izonin wrote:It's a Russian synth, after all.
So what?

Russians love trance. :)

Yeah, we do 8)

Return to “Instruments”