Which can do more, PPG Wave Wavetable synthesis or DX7 6op FM?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've listened to the demos of the PPG Wave 2.3V, and it has a very interesting harmonic sound. I am fascinated by wavetable synthesis. Considering that custom wavetables can be imported through the Waveterm A, is the PPG Wave any more versatile than a DX7? The DX7 can produce a wide range of sounds thanks to its flexible operators and ratios. It can even sound like a PPG Wave! The PPG Wave's wavetables are limited by 64 slots, and each waveform has 64 samples or harmonics, right? The wavetables can still mimic detuning, filter sweeps, pwm, and even RM/FM-like sounds.

I won't say one can do more than the other. It fully depends on what you want to achieve. They are just different.

If you are "fascinated" by wavetable synthesis, then there is no doubt, since the DX7 is nothing about that.

But there is something I don't understand. You say that you listened to the demos of PPG Wave 2.3V. Then you start talking about Waveterm A (which is NOT included in PPG Wave 2.3V, and this software also cannot import user wavetables). Then you start comparing the PPG Wave (which one, the V or the real hardware?) with a DX7 (which closer thing in software is DeXed, IMO). Again, are you talking about a "real" DX7 or a software emulation?
Fernando (FMR)

A real 2.3V versus a real DX7. I know Waveterm A is not part of the PPG Wave, but you can make wavetables with it.

Korg Supporter wrote:A real 2.3V versus a real DX7. I know Waveterm A is not part of the PPG Wave, but you can make wavetables with it.
There isn't a real 2.3V (V stands for virtual), so, I presume you are referring to the "real" 2.3 (PPG Wave 2.3) + Waveterm. You should use Waveterm B, which uses 16-bit audio files. Waveterm A is only 8-bit. And you will have problems finding floppy disks for any of them, but more for Waveterm A, which floppies are from the first generation (anyway, I don't know where you would get any of them). Besides, I think that Waveterm A is not even compatible with PPG Wave 2.3, but if it is, you would be using a 12-bit unit with only 8-bit sounds, which is a loss.

That said, as of today, I would choose the DX7, because it is more versatile, IF you really want to go hardware, but better yet an Yamaha FS1R. As Wolfgang Duren even wrote to me back in the 80s, when I was evaluating a system like the one you are describing "you better go for Microwave + a good sampler with filters, like the E-Mu Emax".

Nowadays, you'll be better served with something like the Microwave II XT (which allows you to create your own wavetables too, with a software like SoundDiver, and even import WAV files and create wavetables by analyzing them - but SoundDiver isn't available anymore, unfortunately), or Blofeld. In software, you could use something like Serum or Nave (both allow you to create your own wavetables), coupled with Audio-Term (windows only), and a sampler like Falcon.

Wavetable synthesis is basically digital (although the PPG Wave used real analog filters, as the Microwave I used too), so, you would better go for one of the (very, very good) wavetable synths, like Serum or Nave, Waves Codex, Waldorf Largo, Tone 2 Icarus, Wolfgang Palm synths, Dune, Rapid, the new Vengeance Avenger, Zebra, Synthmaster, etc. Many of these combine wavetable with other synthesis forms, and the wavetable implementation varies, but all of them are very good sounding.

Falcon, BTW, also has a wavetable module, fully implemented, and allows you to use your own wavetables, so, this would be my first choice, followed by Nave or Serum.

With the money you will save, you could still get a FM softsynth. like FM8, but if you want the DX7, DeXed is free. There's still not anything like the FS1R in software, though.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I thought the v in 2.3v meant version. BTW, don't forget PPG Wavegenerator, Wavemapper, and Animoog. I know you can't make wavetables in Animoog though, but it is still pretty cool though.

Korg Supporter wrote:I thought the v in 2.3v meant version. BTW, don't forget PPG Wavegenerator, Wavemapper, and Animoog. I know you can't make wavetables in Animoog though, but it is still pretty cool though.
PPG Wavegenerator and Wavemapper are hard to get into for me, since they only make sense together, IMO (they sort of complement each other) but then they become too expensive, comparatively. But I think I mentioned them when I wrote Wolfgang Palm synths - that was them.

Animoog is not wavetable (it falls more in the category of "vector synths"), nor even available for computer (only iOS, AFAIK). So, it doesn't count, at least for me :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Animoog is vector, but the so-calles timbres have 16 slots.

Korg Supporter: are you asking about software synths (apps) or hardware synths? Your Animoog reference suggests you may be wanting an iPad synth.

I have an iPad now. I was comparing sound synthesis methods, not hardware vs software. PPG Wave and DX7 are digital (basically software in a box minus PPG Wave's analog filter).

I think the issue with this question isn't which can do more. That's silly. The question should be, which can you do more with? If you're willing to put in the time, the answer is still FM, but if you don't want to deal with the complexity of programming a Yamaha style FM (PM) synth, then go wavetable. You can even create an evolving FM tone and import it as a wavetable into something like Serum.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”