NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

Liero wrote:BTW in my opinion the smallest available UI size - compact - is way, way too large. On 1080p screens it takes up a lot of space and for people who mainly have the browser disabled and use only the macro controls it just takes a lot of unnecessary space, making plugin usage in docked windows (like in Reaper) problematic...
Interesting point. In the plugin version I could imagine a 'collapse' view button (where the fullscreen button is in the standalone) which would just switch to a Macros only view. Would be cool!
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
Liero wrote:BTW in my opinion the smallest available UI size - compact - is way, way too large. On 1080p screens it takes up a lot of space and for people who mainly have the browser disabled and use only the macro controls it just takes a lot of unnecessary space, making plugin usage in docked windows (like in Reaper) problematic...
Interesting point. In the plugin version I could imagine a 'collapse' view button (where the fullscreen button is in the standalone) which would just switch to a Macros only view. Would be cool!
Yes, a 'Macros Only' view would be very useful. Since the macros can be assigned so precisely I think that most people, once they have their plugins loaded and set up, will be finished with editing the structure and mostly interact with only the macros. Or this at least describes my mode of operation with this plugin perfectly.

newsonicarts wrote:
Dunc wrote:Is there some way to get it to register more than one VST folder for scanning ?
If I scan my Instruments folder then point to my effects folder, the instruments folder
disappears.
Looked in the manual ( which is a bit scant ) and can't see any answer.

I have more than 1 VST folder. Seperate folders for Instruments; Effects; MIDI etc not on my C drive.
Not to mention the stupid VST's that insist on going into a Steinberg folder etc
Currently no, but this seems to be a fairly common request so we may add this in future. Thanks for amused for the symlinks workaround though, but I guess this is a OSX only.
You can make symlinks on Windows too - but I've not tested it there. For something like this one could also use 'hard' links (junction points) which definitely do work on Windows.

I tried using Symlinks but my test folders always seemed to be moved ( lucky I thought to try a test folder first ) - definitely not what I was after.
However, 'Junction Points' seem to have done the trick. :D

Dunc wrote:I tried using Symlinks but my test folders always seemed to be moved ( lucky I thought to try a test folder first ) - definitely not what I was after.
However, 'Junction Points' seem to have done the trick. :D
Not sure why that would happen, the original folder should not move or it breaks the link, the symlinks on the other hand can go where you want.

Junction points would work better as they are on the lowest level, but be careful, if you delete a junction point it also deletes the original file. That's why I don't use them much.

FYI version 1.0906 is now available, which now includes a 60 minute demo period.

We also increased the number of automation IDs to 128, plus added a 'Reset' button in the Automation Manager so you can populate all macros pages to automation IDs with one click.
Last edited by newsonicarts on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

How long does that bundle deal last ?
Eye on the charity thread and all that.
Duh

bungle wrote:How long does that bundle deal last ?
Eye on the charity thread and all that.
Freestyle Suite will be permanently available, but the usual price will be 229 EUR. The special price of 199 EUR runs until November 15.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:FYI version 1.0906 is now available, which now includes a 60 minute demo period.

We also increased the number of automation IDs to 128, plus added a 'Reset' button in the Automation Manager so you can populate all macros pages to automation IDs with one click.
Cool. I cant resist on this! :wink: :wink:

newsonicarts wrote:Both FX Bypass and VST preset selection are included in version 1.0904, which is out now.

We would like to improve the VST preset selection usabilty in a future update, for now it's just on the context menu. But at least you can now access those AudioDamage presets...

Regarding the price which was also mentioned above, we now offer crossgrade paths for existing New Sonic Arts users. For example if you own Granite, Nuance and Vice already you can get Freestyle for 59 EUR (special price until Nov 15th when it will go up to 79 EUR).

The best deal for new customers is the new Freestyle Suite bundle (Freestyle, Granite, Nuance and Vice) for 229 EUR. You can buy that by going to the checkout page for any product and clicking on the red 'Deals' button.
Awesome. I own Vice, Nuance & Granite already since a couple of years, so with that out of the way and the additional discount that hit my inbox recently, I am in. No-Brainer. Thanks a lot.
Professional.

Hello again -

I'm going to have to apologize for my earlier comments on having repeated crashes regardless of which applications, etc. I've spent a good 2 hours+ throwing everything I can at FreeStyle in Reaper, Logic and Ableton and I can't reproduce any of the earlier crashes. Same for standalone.

What I love love love about Freestyle is the thumbnail of the fx and instruments. There were plugins that got buried or forgotten about that once seen becomes new again. Really makes me think, "if I can't make something with all of this, then something is terribly wrong".

Like I said earlier, you have a big winner on your hands. Keep up the great work! I'll continue to test until my lovely wife frees up some funds (new tires for my son's car wins this week).

L

I haven't yet run into stability issues either but have yet to throw everything at the plugin. Will report on my findings :)

My list of top requests has solidified followingly:

1) Negative modulation for macro knobs

2) 'Collapse view' mode with only macro knobs visible (get rid of excess UI width with this as well)

3) Bipolar mode for macro knobs - many parameters like tone and tilt controls and EQ gain have their "zero" or baseline value in the middle. I'd like to enable a mode for macro knobs where resetting them (with ctrl-LMB or similar) resets them to knob at 50%, not 0%.

I think there is a real case now for Nuance and Vice to be able to record audio streams now they are incorporated so deeply into Freestyle so they can sample other plugins and make and edit loops from sounds created. Actually Granite too - being able to granularise other plugins would be cool.

Either that or a small dedicated audio recorder module that can then pass the files into those 3 apps (or others like Kontakt say). That might be easier actually.

I've suggested an auto-sampler ealier on but that suggestion went under the radar of the dev.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:Hey new SonicArts maestros!

There is an opportunity here with Freestyle and your sampling technology. I'd be very interested to see an auto-sampler included in Freestyle, it just begs for it. Now you have all the layering afforded by Freestyle, a natural extension of this would be to allow sampling of the output in order to create multi-samples. There are apps on the market that do it, sure, but each one has some issues, or is platform dependent (Extreme Sample Converter, EMU X3) or has been bought by Apple and crippled (Redmatica).

You have the sampling technology already, it just needs to be integrated into Freestyle with new sample-making tools, like set the keys which you want to sample, sample duration, truncation with user specifies fades, etc.

You could develop a class-leading product here!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”