Adding volume envelope to VST piano

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm using the free NeoPiano VST plugin by Sound Magic. I would like to variably control the attack so it can sound like a piano sometimes and like a stringed instrument other times. I've been able to partially accomplish this using an ADSR or LFO module controlling an amplifier module. However, the amplitude envelope do not seem to perfectly follow the MIDI note duration. Sometimes the envelope is triggered twice during a single long note. Can someone recommend a way to insure that the envelope fits the note, regardless of its duration or the tempo?

Thank you,
-d.vyd

In the modular area right-click the ADSR module >choose edit properties and select >legato mode.
This prevents restarting the envelope when you play a new note,maybe this can help,
otherwise you can Keytrack the envelope using the module "note to modulation converter"
look at this example
Envelope KT.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Taifunk.

I would like the envelope to restart at the beginning of each note--and only at the beginning of each note, regardless of the length of the note. I think this means that the "sustain" part of the envelope would expand or contract according to the note length while the other parts of the envelope would have a fixed timing in milliseconds.

-d.vyd

Sustain in the ADSR module is a level - the percentage value indicates the percentage of full scale volume to sustain at.

You mentioned LFO usage. How were you using this to control the volume? The oscillator would, naturally, cycle through its range continually whilst the note was held -- that's what it's for. So you'd expect it to cause the volume to rise, fall, rise, fall, etc at the cycle period you chose (and in the wave shape you chose, so "rise" and "fall" are only indicative...) if that's how you wired it up.

If a simple ADSR isn't enough to get the effect you're after, try the multi-point envelope.

Thank you Pljones. If I understand correctly, I should try the ADSR without the added amplifier. I got some interesting sounds with the LFO and something close to what I wanted when the frequency was between 0.1 and 0.5hz so that the note only had time to be adjusted by the start of the LFO shape. I'm not in front of my computer that I use for music right now, but I did look at the multi-point envelope. I remember wondering what the units were for the X axis. Do you know?

In the attached screenshot, the module named "Neo Piano" is a free VST instrument. Attack times of 2ms to 5ms transform the piano strike into something more like a stringed instrument. However, if the second note starts before the release of the first note has finished, then the attack setting is ignored and I hear the full piano strike. (Or, rather, this is my interpretation of what is happening...) Is this a polyphony issue? Can I solve this somehow with polysynth so each note has its own instance of the ADSR?

PS: I see now that I forgot to hook up the audio link to the oscilloscope. That I do know how to fix :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't think you can put a VST inside a PolySynth module and I think you're right about that being the issue. As it stands, the ADSR starts running on the first note and there's still an instance of it running when the second note starts, so you hear the harder attack sound.

d.vyd wrote:However, if the second note starts before the release of the first note has finished, then the attack setting is ignored
Indeed, that's intended behavior, otherwise you can get unwanted clicking. Well, to be more precise: When the envelope is retriggered before it has ended, it re-starts at its current level. So it's not that the attack is ignored but depending on when the retrigger happens you might have such impression. Hope i explain well.

Ok. Thank you. I understand. Is there a good publicly available multi-sampled piano that would be easy to load into MuTool's sample player module? I could then add the ADSR and other modules and put the whole assembly into a polysynth--right?

-d.vyd

I've partially answered my recent question, there are many free multisampled pianos listed here http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/07 ... oy-pianos/

I see that MuLab will correctly assign samples to notes if the file has a note (e.g. C4) in the filename. Also, the multi-sample player allows me to transition between samples of the same note at different volumes.

Does that mean all I need to do is mass convert the samples I find from SFZ and Kontakt formats into something MuLab can read? If not, what step am I missing? If so, can anyone recommend a tool for mass sample conversion?

Thank you,
d.vyd

I can't help with answering that specific question but, just for your info, adding SFZ support to MuLab is high on the wishlist. It may still take a bit of time before it's implemented though as i'm currently working on another top feature request.

SFZ support does seem like it would be very useful. For now, I'll use the Classic Piano instrument that comes with MuLab that I see already has the ADSR volume envelope (and other modifiers) setup.

Return to “MUTOOLS”