Free CA-2A from Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

Rappo Clappo wrote:LA-2As warm things up. ...they EQ all the warmth and low mids and bass. When you put bass and drums in them they get fatter and bigger. And unless you hit them way hard and make the tubes sizzle they don't really distort.

— Jim Scott
This assumes, of course, that your tubes are in good shape. That's another thing that I don't really like about plugins like this, you have to change the tubes a lot. That's why I tend to use 1176 models more, FETs last a lot longer.

Are the tubes in the CA-2A easy to change or do I have to send it in to Cakewalk?

soulone82 wrote:Are the tubes in the CA-2A easy to change or do I have to send it in to Cakewalk?
Nothing about that in the manual.

ghettosynth wrote: ... another thing that I don't really like about plugins like this,
you have to change the tubes a lot.
Yeah ... that's a crucial point! :dog:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

soulone82 wrote:Are the tubes in the CA-2A easy to change or do I have to send it in to Cakewalk?
I sent mine into Mercenary Audio. They changed the tubes and gave it a killer mod that makes it sound more hardwarey! They also replaced one of the knobs that fell off my GUI at no extra charge! :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I must admit, CA-2A has amazing forum response per knob ratio.

cryophonik wrote:
I sent mine into Mercenary Audio. They changed the tubes and gave it a killer mod that makes it sound more hardwarey! They also replaced one of the knobs that fell off my GUI at no extra charge! :tu:
Those guys are awesome, they're not for everybody though. They aren't cheap and not everyone has the ability to hear the subtle differences that their work imparts.

Zombie Queen wrote:I must admit, CA-2A has amazing forum response per knob ratio.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I spent some time trying to warm the plug up a bit. The R37 screw needs to be turned full right, 100% . The other thing I noticed is that there is very little difference between the limit and compress(channel). I actually prefer the limit channel much more, though I'm not sure why yet. I feel that the compress mode is giving me an unnatural something back.

cryophonik wrote:
:lol:

When one of those knobs fall off a GUI,it can be a very tricky job to glue them back on :wink:
No auto tune...

I hope you are all giving the CA-2A some time to warm up before making any judgements. I just put NOS Mullards in mine and she purrs 8)

Loading the CA-2A and letting it warm up for at least 30 minutes is a given!

Oh no! Now I have to re-render all my recent mixes :dog: :cry:

Ya´ll should have bought Cakewalk´s CA-2A tube monitoring plug-in. It basically tells you when the CA-2A is ready and has the sweetest tone. It also warns you when your tubes are getting flaky.

Coded in collaboration with the fine folks at Crysonic.

Downside is that it´s 299$ (excluding VAT) and requires iLok4.

:help:

Wish they release an update to make it sound great on drums too...

Return to “Effects”