Do not update to macOS Sierra yet!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

does the new sierra update fix this issue for you?

Unfortunately, no.

krixa wrote:Getting back to this thread again..

Bitwig starts without problems om Sierra, however.. my projects will not load. Bitwig freezes and the "loading project" rotating circle thingy in lower status bar stops.
When opening a new empty project I'm able to load plugins but it takes about 5 seconds to load NI VC-76 for example. So obviously something is not as it should be..

Hoping this will be solved soon. Best wishes!
Yes i have this issues to :( Now i can't open any project ;( All other DAW's working good on Sierra :(
And plugins load up to +/- 20 sec :(
Mac OSX, Bitwig Studio, Spire, Massive

kaspy003 wrote:
krixa wrote:Getting back to this thread again..

Bitwig starts without problems om Sierra, however.. my projects will not load. Bitwig freezes and the "loading project" rotating circle thingy in lower status bar stops.
When opening a new empty project I'm able to load plugins but it takes about 5 seconds to load NI VC-76 for example. So obviously something is not as it should be..

Hoping this will be solved soon. Best wishes!
Yes i have this issues to :( Now i can't open any project ;( All other DAW's working good on Sierra :(
And plugins load up to +/- 20 sec :(
Doesn't do you any good now (unless you downgrade)... but in the future, I highly recommend you do not upgrade to a new OS until it has been out for a few months at least. It saves lots of headaches.

Hmm, projects actually load, but need to wait about 5 min :D I think it's related to slow plugin load :(
Mac OSX, Bitwig Studio, Spire, Massive

pdxindy wrote:
Doesn't do you any good now (unless you downgrade)... but in the future, I highly recommend you do not upgrade to a new OS until it has been out for a few months at least. It saves lots of headaches.
I hear this argument a lot. I have several problems with it.

1. Sierra was an important upgrade for me as El Captain had serious issues. I couldn't shut down the computer, I had to push the power button down for 5 secs just to get it to turn off. I was dreading the day I got disk corruption, luckily it didn't. Sierra has fixed this problem as well as others.

2. Sierra Alpha and Beta have been out a long time, I didn't pay chump change for Bitwig, I paid big money, I expect that a company would be thoroughly testing on these platform long before the public release. They obviously haven't and that's just bloody not good enough.

3. Not only did they obviously not test on development versions of Sierra, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it since. There have been 2 RC and neither have any remote hint of addressing the issue. Sierra has been out a long time now, the only word I have for it is Pathetic.

4. You would think using Windows for a short while would be an option, but no. Bitwig doesn't even work on that (Whit screen of death).

5. Bitwig have been extremely quiet on the issue. Come on Bitwig, say SOMETHING!!!

I came into Bitwig because I believed in them, I believed in their vision and wanted to support them. All I've gotten out of it is disappointment, they have been measured and found wanting. Which would be fine if I didn't spend a hell of a lot of money for it.

So no, you're don't upgrade mantra while seemingly sound, is just not an excuse for bad Management from a pathetic company.

kfarrell wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I hear this argument a lot. I have several problems with it.

1. Sierra was an important upgrade for me as El Captain had serious issues. I couldn't shut down the computer, I had to push the power button down for 5 secs just to get it to turn off. I was dreading the day I got disk corruption, luckily it didn't. Sierra has fixed this problem as well as others.

2. Sierra Alpha and Beta have been out a long time, I didn't pay chump change for Bitwig, I paid big money, I expect that a company would be thoroughly testing on these platform long before the public release. They obviously haven't and that's just bloody not good enough.

3. Not only did they obviously not test on development versions of Sierra, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it since. There have been 2 RC and neither have any remote hint of addressing the issue. Sierra has been out a long time now, the only word I have for it is Pathetic.

4. You would think using Windows for a short while would be an option, but no. Bitwig doesn't even work on that (Whit screen of death).

5. Bitwig have been extremely quiet on the issue. Come on Bitwig, say SOMETHING!!!

I came into Bitwig because I believed in them, I believed in their vision and wanted to support them. All I've gotten out of it is disappointment, they have been measured and found wanting. Which would be fine if I didn't spend a hell of a lot of money for it.

So no, you're don't upgrade mantra while seemingly sound, is just not an excuse for bad Management from a pathetic company.
The problems you were having on El Capitan could have been fixed in El Capitan. Not being able to shut your computer down is some sort of problem specific to your computer. Something really wrong locally.

Not upgrading right away is a sound approach. I have used that approach for many years and never run into any problems when upgrading cause I wait until the problems are all sorted out.

You can get mad that it is that way; you can call it bad management, etc. It does not matter whether you are right or not, because being right does not mean you get a good result for yourself.

I have never had the slightest problem with El Capitan... but then I did not upgrade until quite few months after release. Lots of people who upgraded right away did have problems. If you have a production machine that you depend on for work, then it is you who loses if a problem arises by immediately upgrading. How it should be, or we all wished it were is no consolation nor is a client interested to hear that. You have to look out for yourself. That is why most professionals wait.

I agree that Bitwig should say something more publicly about Sierra. But here we are... you mad and wishing that they would hurry up to address the problem and me fine and in no hurry because I did not upgrade and so have no problem.

And of course you are free to do as you wish. Good luck!

So I have ordered a new mac and of course it will have Sierra on it - am I going to encounter problems?

dckyoto wrote:So I have ordered a new mac and of course it will have Sierra on it - am I going to encounter problems?
yes, Sierra is mandatory on them. Time to find a new DAW for you. Logic X?

dckyoto wrote:So I have ordered a new mac and of course it will have Sierra on it - am I going to encounter problems?
I haven't installed Sierra yet, so have no direct experience, but some people have problems and others do not. Based on the posts in this thread, it may be related to whether people do a clean install or not, or a clean install of Bitwig. That is just a guess, but regardless, you may not have any issue at all since your new machine has never had older OS versions or Bitwig for that matter.

Give it a try and if you encounter a problem, send an email to Bitwig support. The more examples they get, the easier it is to track down the specific set of variables causing the issue.

kfarrell wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
is that a hackintosh? just curious..

kfarrell wrote:

Apple really could not get this bug sorted until they brought out a new version of their OS? Keeping in mind that this is happening on hardware hand picked by Apple makes it even worse.

I think you will find that with any OS upgrade Apple has brought out in the last few years, a lot of different Software just does not work for a while. Putting all the blame on solely on software developers and none on Apple, who do charge rather big money for their hardware, software and anything else they can get away with, may be a bit unfair.

I'm pretty sure that's not quite true at all.

It does for me, right since the beginning. I have have head a white screen of death on Win 10 or Win 7 and I do not even like Windows that much.

I am sure they have asked people to report bugs, especially with detailed info that would help replicate those bugs. Without being able to replicate a bug, it's pretty hard to fix them.
[/quote]

Bitwig is not alone...

Here is the list that is updated:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... formation/

So even if Bitwig would release a fix today installing Sierra is somthing you do if you want to test things.

The only problem I have with Sierra is slow loading of VSTi s that rely on samples and samples. Pinpoint also have indexing problems and have been reported to crash and the mail app in OSX also have been reported to be slow until you rebuild the index for the app.

Other problems for Sierra as of the 24th of September:
http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/24/troubles ... -problems/

But since I have shows and deadlines coming up I have now downgraded to El Capitan that has worked well for me for audio and video.

I hope they're currently not investing too much time supporting a 4 weeks old OS.
Anyone installing this atm, is obviously not doing any income/client depending work on their machine, music related or not.

Ok, well, ... using a 1.x software for professional work, is kinda unprofessional as well. :hihi: :phones:

We can close this thread now.. 1.3.14 is now fully compatible with SierraOS it seems!

Return to “Bitwig”