RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Okay, I did a very brief tutorial (under an hour) just to show how really simple it is to use this synth. If you want me to go over something more in depth, just post your requests and I'll get to them as soon as I can. But really, if you've worked with anything more complex than a Minimoog, this synth is not hard at all.

[REMOVED]
Last edited by wagtunes on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parawave wrote:Price
A reminder: RAPID is a bit different from other synth products. If it would sell for 100$, then that would have been it: A finished product, no more features. But you're not only purchasing a finished product, but also invest in the future development of more advanced features.
This argument is a double edged sword.

When you buy (a license for) software, especially from a one-man-band developer, you buy what is up front. You don't buy promises. End of story.

Plans for future enhancements and features are, at the point of initial purchase, vapourware. Anything can happen to upset those plans: a car accident, divorce, a sudden health problem, a job offer that can't be turned down… whatever.

Most developers offer paid major upgrades. Not many motivate a high 1.0 price with the desire to be paid in advance for features that may, or may not, see the light of day.

Is the upgrade to RAPID version 1.1 (?) with user multisample and wavetable import going to be included in the original price, or will there be an upgrade fee?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Hi wagtunes,

Thank You for the video tutorial. It was helpful to get an idea of how RAPTURE works.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Spitfire31 wrote:
A reminder: RAPID is a bit different from other synth products. If it would sell for 100$, then that would have been it: A finished product, no more features. But you're not only purchasing a finished product, but also invest in the future development of more advanced features.

When you buy (a license for) software, especially from a one-man-band developer, you buy what is up front. You don't buy promises. End of story.

Plans for future enhancements and features are, at the point of initial purchase, vapourware. Anything can happen to upset those plans: a car accident, divorce, a sudden health problem, a job offer that can't be turned down… whatever.

Most developers offer paid major upgrades. Not many motivate a high 1.0 price with the desire to be paid in advance for features that may, or may not, see the light of day.

Is the upgrade to RAPID version 1.1 (?) with user multisample and wavetable import going to be included in the original price, or will there be an upgrade fee?

/Joachim

Sounds like you don't believe him. He says gonna add more stuff if you don't believe it don't buy it. If an act of God happens then there are bigger problems to worry about than a synth.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:

/Joachim

Sounds like you don't believe him. He says gonna add more stuff if you don't believe it don't buy it. If an act of God happens then there are bigger problems to worry about than a synth.
I don't believe in 'acts of God'. But if I say 'Total Music'? If I say Tracktion 2? Does it ring a bell? You pay your money for what's there, not for what may come. Unless you're a venture capitalist…

I didn't say I don't believe parawave's intentions. I'm sure he means every word and is a very ambitious person. What I said is that shit happens. If you need the wavetable and multisample, common sense would tell you to delay your purchase until such a time that the product is actually available.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Last edited by babbgr on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

After 39 pages of people complaining about the price, and great arguments for not buying into vapourware and future promises, you would think this developer would get a clue. That's a red flag for me. And at $305 Canadian, well, that is never going to happen. Global marketing and price-setting is complicated subject matter, but to ignore those with interest in the continued development of this product shows inexperience and attitude. Unless a course-correction is applied, Rapid Synth will never reach a broad enough audience to effect continued development. Once you've sold to the fan-boys and fan-girls who have supported you thus far, your next clients will be a much tougher sell. Greed is the bane of business and you have to be wary of it.

KEv

burkek wrote:After 39 pages of people complaining about the price, and great arguments for not buying into vapourware and future promises, you would think this developer would get a clue. That's a red flag for me. And at $305 Canadian, well, that is never going to happen. Global marketing and price-setting is complicated subject matter, but to ignore those with interest in the continued development of this product shows inexperience and attitude. Unless a course-correction is applied, Rapid Synth will never reach a broad enough audience to effect continued development. Once you've sold to the fan-boys and fan-girls who have supported you thus far, your next clients will be a much tougher sell. Greed is the bane of business and you have to be wary of it.

KEv

The problem with your tone is you come off like a know it all and a bit insulting and angry. I doubt you are any smarter than anyone else here; including the dev who was smart enough to create something like this in the first place. And honestly people who come off like they know everything usually don't know much at all.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

[REMOVED]
Last edited by wagtunes on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: But sample import will save this synth.

Hopefully, he knows that.
Sample import AND sample to wavetable resynthesis AND wavetable editing. These are the three things without what this synth can't standout, IMO.

BTW, GUI resize isn't that much a priority for, me, since the GUi is already big enough (and I am already using glasses and I am working at HD resolution). But it's up to parawave to define his priorities. I am talking based on what I would want up front.
Fernando (FMR)

Maybe we should not forget that the developper already wrote on page 31 of this thread that wavetable import as well as multi-sample import will be implemented.
Here is the quote:
parawave wrote:
teacue wrote:@parawave
I love your synth and I am glad I bought it :-)

But please, please, please, add the possibility to import our own Wavetables and Samples!
Yes the factory content is really great and well choosed but it will be so much fun if we are able to work with our own sounds!
And isn't it all about having fun?
;-)
Yes, all about the funs ;D
It is planned. But I think the wavetable import will probably be implemented before multi-sample import. It's just, I really dislike sfz and soundfonts, so I want an easier mechanism. That requires a bit of planning how it works the best. I know, something with drag and drop and keyzones. But it's also about how you store the samples and connect them with presets, an quick way for the user to manage own multi-samples.

If someone wants to write 20 paragraphs on how he would imagine a possible import, do it : D
I will definitely read it. But for now, first comes the MaxOS X version and GUI resize thing.
Also thank you for the screenshots, I was just about to write a small thing that outputs the name in textform for this kind of information, also the preset names. I think I will put it somewhere on the site in the future.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

[REMOVED]
Last edited by wagtunes on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[REMOVED]
Last edited by wagtunes on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So, judging by what I'm hearing here, this synth is worthless and unusable for the price and according to armchair statistics, without sample import and wavetable editing no one will buy it? A couple of hundred bucks is way too much to ask for a synth with all the power and features that are included? Buying into promises? Parawave Audio is a business. Not a charity. Future updates and feature implementations will come if Rapid is a financial success and that there is an income derived by the developer so as to continue future updates and support. The developer did not say "please buy this synth and I promise I will give you this that and the other thing later on". If the synth becomes successful then I'm going to assume that Rapid will get future updates with the possibility of including sample import and wavetable editing. Also, there are many great synth plugins out there that have been very successful and widely used throughout the music industry without sample import and wavetable editing. Not every single plugin needs this feature to be a great sounding and highly usable synth. The overtones here that Rapid is not competitive without sample import and wavetable editing for the pricepoint is just crazy. Rapid, as is, does a hell of a lot more than a lot of other plugins out there and does it surprisingly well for a first release. I'm also sure of the fact that if the market dictates that the price of Rapid needs to be lowered, Parawave Audio will adjust it accordingly in the future. They (Parawave) are the only ones who have this information through their records of sales. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all this shouting off the rooftops about missing features, and threats of "I'm not going to buy this because..." isn't going to change anything. Just look at any dongle thread and you'll see. It's very easy to knock something, but maybe people should try to take the more difficult route as it seems to be, and try to use Rapid to it's fullest with the concept that is already there. For the money, it can do a lot right now as it stands. Just a thought.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Well spoken Orbit-50 :tu:

I don´t need sample/WT import.
This would make it even more complicated for me. Having too many options kills the flow.
Use Serum for that! :P
Will I ever explore the whole potential of it? Maybe (not).
Next week, next synth. That´s how it is.

I would like to see Bitwig supported:
- Automation is broken/ got issues (same as Synapses Legend @ its 1. release)
- Midi export and import doesn´t work (when it will: GREAT! Geist2´s Midi export works btw)

Besides that: Heavyweight synth Parawave!
Special Respect from the Ruhrgebietler!!!
Last edited by bite_me on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The average bored guy

Return to “Instruments”