Can I use an EQ as a multi filter?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because usually an EQ has multiple bands, can I use them as a multi filter basically?

Depends where you want to use it for. If you want to create parallel filter distortion in the most digital sense, I guess it's the way to go 8)
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Have you tried it?

yes but im not sure if it is the same. what is different?

crazyfiltertweaker wrote:yes but im not sure if it is the same. what is different?
A filter is nothing but an extreme EQ, so go ahead and use EQ's as filters like you want.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Filters and EQ are the same thing. Or I guess we could say that filters are employed to achieve EQ.

Are you asking how to perform parallel processing using split filter bands? Use the Linkwitz-Riley configuration, as detailed here: http://www.theflipsideforum.com/index.php?topic=26280.0

crazyfiltertweaker wrote:Because usually an EQ has multiple bands, can I use them as a multi filter basically?
only if you change your name to crazymultifiltertweaker :D

Yeah go for it! You can fully automate a pass filter in Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 - and without all the tube/analog emulation colouring your sound, you can do pristine clean and smooth filter sweeps. Love it.

DO IT!!! and automate it!! I like the idea a lot. Follow your multi-filter with a high ratio compressor to really push the audibility of that filter. Audition it tho, cuase it may not work how it sounds in my head.. LOL! I really like the sound of this. Rather than just a Hi-Pass/Lo-Pass Filter have a few different bands on some extreme EQ changes to really draw attention to the effect. Channel strip style plugs could be good for these task cause you have all the parameters on one interface. I like Avid' Channel Strip but it's filters can be a lil more forgiving than I prefer. AudioTrack from Waves has an auto makeup gain that can't be turned off but boy that plugin is working for sure. It's like a scaled down Q10 & C1 in one GUI. Metric Halo's Channel Strip3 has a very comprehensive compressor section. The Built in Limiter doesn't allow for any tweaking, but pretty much works 90% of the time for me.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

This is achieved with ease in the Tracktion Software using a rack in this manner. Open a empty Rack place as many of your favorite eq in the rack for as many parallel channels you like. make sure to not connect the in and outputs automatically to the first plugin you open in the Rack. Now hi and or low pass each EQ to the frequencys to only band pass the frequencys you would like for each EQ. Now connect the inputs from the rack left and right to each EQ inputs and then connect the outputs of each EQ eparately. If your EQ don't have a gain or trim knob add a volume and pan filter in the chain one after each EQ in the rack because you might need to trim some volume to get it balance being that each parallel EQ you create is also like oversampling at the same time so in this Rack 4 parallel EQ's will result in 4x oversampling just keep this in mind. :tu:

Return to “Production Techniques”