iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

MarlaPodolski wrote:"*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results."
- sampleconstruct

These are really the only ones that annoy me. But really not enough to complain about it.

I went into the purchase of Iris 2 and many sound packs fully expecting nothing, or, if I expected anything it would have been that iZotope would drop all support for Iris and stop further development right after purchase.

So, I can report back that I have not been disappointed in any way by iZotope and really love Iris 2 and very much enjoy using it.

I've been a regular critic of iZotope's stunts over time about as much as anyone else. I never forgave them for removing the reverb after Ozone 5, just for example. I knew what I was getting into going with Iris 2. Make informed purchases and then you don't have to waste your creative time complaining on some forum. I hate wasting time -- I have far better things to do and lots of money to make. Complaining gives too much acknowledgement that you even recognize the company's existence, er, maybe give some false importance to them. Negative criticism, as in attempting to dissuade others from using, serves no purpose to me really, since I couldn't care less what others use. If I did care, I might complain about Iris loudly, pushing more and more of you here toward using those same dozen or so instruments you do use here, sounding all alike and not very interesting either. That's why, btw, I use instruments such as Iris and others, bugs and all.
We often criticize the loud and persistent complainers however they are the ones often persuade companies to improve their products. So it is good that everyone listed the strengths and weaknesses of Iris so the developers know that we know which may motivate them to make improvements. This type of thread also provides valuable information for the user and can help those that are contemplating purchasing Iris to make the purchasing decision. My two cents.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: -> on the list of bugs never to be fixed... *sigh*
They already have your money, so they don't care.
Only for Iris 1 though, they gave me an NFR for Iris 2, LOL and I worked hard for it. :dog:
Yeah I decided not to buy Iris 2 either, after I saw how bug-riddled it was/still is. :roll:
Other than the v1 preset import, is there any major bug?
Depends on your definition of “major bugs“, but yes, i would call some of the issues below major bugs.

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.
Maybe this one is repeated (I didn't find it) but I can't export pitchbend wheel recorded movements on Cubase; I think it's not a Cubase problem because if I replace Iris 2 with any other synth in the same instrument track, the pitchbend is perfectly exported.

However, I find it a sooo massive bug that it can't be a bug, but reading the manual didn't give me an answer neither.

So I bit on the recent sale. Great synth for small cash. But now I'd like to see more of what this puppy can do. What are some of the best, "must have," patch sets and where might I find them?

I know "Google is my friend" but Google won't tell me which ones are the most sought after.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:So I bit on the recent sale. Great synth for small cash. But now I'd like to see more of what this puppy can do. What are some of the best, "must have," patch sets and where might I find them?

I know "Google is my friend" but Google won't tell me which ones are the most sought after.

Cheers
-B
You can always check out mine. And it's dirt cheap too.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... for-iris-2

BERFAB wrote:So I bit on the recent sale. Great synth for small cash. But now I'd like to see more of what this puppy can do. What are some of the best, "must have," patch sets and where might I find them?

Cheers
-B
Not sure, but, for me, the real value of this synth is that you can make patches out of your own samples in interesting ways that are a lot of work with other synths.

I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention the current hgsounds Cassetto group buy, which, for the measly sum of $14.99 you get an awesome Kontakt instrument, AND, five free products which can include some of the find hgsounds Iris soundbanks. Definitely worth it, IMNSHO.

Kalamata Kid wrote: We often criticize the loud and persistent complainers however they are the ones often persuade companies to improve their products. So it is good that everyone listed the strengths and weaknesses of Iris so the developers know that we know which may motivate them to make improvements. This type of thread also provides valuable information for the user and can help those that are contemplating purchasing Iris to make the purchasing decision. My two cents.
I would like to agree with this thought, except we are talking about iZotope here, and I have never seen them so much as blink to the many user complaints regarding any of their products. In fact, they seem oblivious to users. They go on and release, expand, stop expansion, kill, warp their products with a kind of reasoning and logic that I have never been able to understand. Complaining, in regards to iZotope, has always been rather pointless and ineffective. I expect this reality to continue.

$49 @ Audio Deluxe for 48 hours.

Great deal, disappointing to read about all the bugs and insufficiencies, and even more so about how little attention they pay to user feedback.

I only have iris1 and trash2. Great products but i did stop buying cause they give a shit about customers Feedback and Support. They just want ur Money and stop Support.

I told everybody Not to Support them. Netter alternatives and such crap companies shouldnt get the Money and attention.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

MarlaPodolski wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote: We often criticize the loud and persistent complainers however they are the ones often persuade companies to improve their products. So it is good that everyone listed the strengths and weaknesses of Iris so the developers know that we know which may motivate them to make improvements. This type of thread also provides valuable information for the user and can help those that are contemplating purchasing Iris to make the purchasing decision. My two cents.
I would like to agree with this thought, except we are talking about iZotope here, and I have never seen them so much as blink to the many user complaints regarding any of their products. In fact, they seem oblivious to users. They go on and release, expand, stop expansion, kill, warp their products with a kind of reasoning and logic that I have never been able to understand. Complaining, in regards to iZotope, has always been rather pointless and ineffective. I expect this reality to continue.
Had not followed this as closely as you. Ok so there in one exception and perhaps a few others.

A friend recently complained about the price of chicken. The next day the price was lowered to the amount he suggested. So it pays to complain or make suggestions but if the other side is deaf then like you said it is senseless. But people and companies do change, ok rarely.

Good old Iris, she lives in a cave, no one pays much attention, she's getting old but still wants to live, let's shed some light on her for a few minutes at least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_10zbWwFZc

Iris is probably abandoned by iZotope. A shame really, since it's such a unique sample player. Excellent for evolving pads, soundscapes, textures and drones. I still prefer the less cluttered v1 though.

https://soundcloud.com/soundescape/soun ... le-patches
Patches and Soundsources for Omnisphere 2 and Iris:
https://www.soundescape.no

Cheers
-B
You can still get my free Iris 2 presets here:

http://westgatesounds.net/free/index.html

Sampleconstruct wrote:Good old Iris, she lives in a cave, no one pays much attention, she's getting old but still wants to live, let's shed some light on her for a few minutes at least...

Simon,

Very nice piece!

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Good old Iris, she lives in a cave, no one pays much attention, she's getting old but still wants to live, let's shed some light on her for a few minutes at least...

Simon,

Very nice piece!
Oh thanks, it was just a little impro live on video.

Why Iris 2 is so poorly optimized? With "Africa Sunrise" patch and 20% CPU usage in Task Manager I already get buffer crackles. I also store samples on SSD as the manual suggests... :help:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”