Soundmagic Spectral For Windows and Other Spectrum Plugin Alternatives

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Everyone,

For a while now I keep coming across this plugin and I was wondering if there was any way possible to get it to work in Windows 7?

The plugin is Soundmagic Spectral created by I believe Chuck Norris' younger brother Michael Norris.
This plugin looks great and if Michael is even half as good at programming as his brother is at kicking ass, then I would say this plugin is probably out of this world amazing.

Speaking of out of this world.....
You know, Chuck Norris has already been to Mars, that is why there are no signs of life
(not my joke, but awesome)

This plugin can be found here
http://www.michaelnorris.info/software/ ... c-spectral

In the past I looked up if there were any free AU to VST wrappers but I obviously didn't find anything.
I am sure there is no real way to get this to work, but man it has been one I have wanted for a very long time.
This must be how Mac users feel every time they look up plugins.

If anyone has any info to share please let me know.
Also any other spectrum plugins / programs recommendations are welcome
Last edited by miketurn on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

The only wrapper I know of is called a "Mac".
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

nvm
Last edited by Michael L on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

All wrappers will only turn a Mac Audio Unit into a Mac VST, but will not create a Windows VST (=dll). What you want can only be achieved with something like Airfoil (a streaming solution between Mac and PC). Of course you'd need a Mac for that.

miketurn wrote:Hello Everyone,

For a while now I keep coming across this plugin and I was wondering if there was any way possible to get it to work in Windows 7?
I totally understand your pain! Cause Soundmagic Spectral is truly a fantastic creative suite of plugins, still unequaled & incomparable to any other spectral / FFT plugins out there. And all that... For free :-o

@deastman
Yeah I have heard of this, but that is one expensive wrapper.

@Neon Breath
I know man, don't rub it in! :)
Looks like it contains so many things to play around with, I want it!

I have seen a couple of free plugins that come in both Windows versions as well as Mac.
I don't really know anything about coding, to know if the languages between Mac and PC are at all similar, or if the creators of these plugins that are for both systems have to write entirely different code for each. Probably not, but I wonder if he has any future plans of making a Windows version someday? Either way though, just the fact that he makes this plugin available for Mac users for free is quite a generous thing to do.

Thank You all for your responses.

Similar plugins are DtBlkFx (free), SFXMachinePro ($6 on sale now), the PitchTech plugins (free), the SoundHack series (free and $), MTransformer ($), and Iris 2). Also Photosounder, CDP, SPEAR and the new Melodyne as standalones).
BTW, that Mac wrapper also works for MetaSynth and Alchemy2, and dual-boots Windows :party: .
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

All I can really suggest is checking out DTBlkFX as a free Windows alternative. There are some bananas transforms in there, especially once you crank the window sizes and start experimenting with the masking modules to selectively apply other modules. In the pay world, there's also Spectrumworx which has a bunch of nice transforms, including full stereo sidechain operation for things like 'spectral vocoding'.

You could also look at CDP (Composers Desktop Project) in conjunction with the Soundshaper GUI front end, both of which are now free. It's standalone (not a plug in), has a steep learning curve and the usability has *not* kept up with modern standards, but it's pretty much the granddaddy of doing spectral transforms by computer (it initially ran on Atari ST). KVR member Xenakios is busy putting the finishing touches on a new front-end to replace Soundshaper that looks hugely exciting though, and appears it'll make using CDP much more pleasurable. Thread here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=446446

You forgot a very important one: SpectrumWorx ($)

There's the GRM Tools Spectral Transform bundle that is quite powerful too ($)

Still, these are all great & fun FFT processing plugins but none of these can be compared to Soundmagic Spectral unfortunatly.

Hey Guys,

A while back after not finding a way to get Soundmagic Spectral to work I searched around and found these plugins / programs as well. I remember doing a lot of testing at least of the free ones you guys have mentioned. I won't talk about all my experiences with each but a couple of memories / info I found.

DTBlkFX
This is an awesome plugin, and free, I can't remember what I was using to test it but I remember getting a lot of latency though? I remember doing research on this and found that this was ported from an original version which was created as a Buzz Machine. I remember trying to get a Buzz to VST (not VST to Buzz) wrapper with no success, because I thought maybe the original would not have latency.
It was a while back so a little hard to remember my train of thought at the time, I think I wanted it to work in realtime.

CDP
Wow, now that you guys mention CDP (Composers Desktop Project) I remember trying so hard to get that to work but I was not successful because I can remember it being too complex for me and I believe I tried using that GUI frontend but was still lost. My mind is blending that experience with a similar experience of trying to get a program called CSound to work which was also too complex for me. I went to that forum link and it sounds like that new GUI being worked on may cause me to look into this program again once it becomes available, and Xenakios mentioned it will be able to load VSTs as well, sounds great, too bad it wasn't a VST itself so it could be put into a DAW/Host, but hey if his creation makes the standalone work well, that is great as well.
Wait, did you say this was run on an Atari ST! Has to say something about it though that people are still interested in it, has to be pretty powerful.

Melodyne,
Saw that they added this capability, have not tried it but is probably amazing.

SpectrumWorx
Remember looking this up but don't think I tried it, I just went to the site and saw there is a demo for it, in the future I will try this just to see what it is about. On that page I see that they also offer an effect that I have been hoping for a real free simulation of (obviously won't work exactly the same way), a talk box. I have the MDA one but have not tested it, I think I may have one or two other similar plugins but have not tested them. I tried downloading the demo of this from the Little Endian site but it seems to be a "unity package" so I guess it is not a VST, seems like this is for phones?

Thanks again for all the responses

There are quite a few existing threads on this topic fyi
Amazon: why not use an alternative

There are reasons for Reaktor having here no mentions? I do not understand.

Zookes wrote:There are reasons for Reaktor having here no mentions? I do not understand.
Cause there's no Reaktor ensembles that are similar to Soundmagic Spectral.

miketurn wrote:Wow, now that you guys mention CDP (Composers Desktop Project) I remember trying so hard to get that to work but I was not successful because I can remember it being too complex for me and I believe I tried using that GUI frontend but was still lost. My mind is blending that experience with a similar experience of trying to get a program called CSound to work which was also too complex for me...
SpectrumWorx
... I tried downloading the demo of this [Talkbox] from the Little Endian site but it seems to be a "unity package" so I guess it is not a VST, seems like this is for phones?
Apologies for the late reply here... forgot about it.

CSound and CDP are nothing alike. CSound is almost like a programming language for music, whereas CDP (once you get it up and running) is much more straightforward. Once you've got it installed and communicating with Soundshaper, it works much like an audio editor (only without the waveform display). You just load a sound, pick a transform from the menus, and Bob's your uncle. The latest version of CDP removes the need to set things like environment variables and the like (probably the biggest barrier to getting it working), so I'd definitely recommend taking another look if it's piqued your interest. Make sure it's the Soundshaper front end (google Ensemble Music Soundshaper) and not Sound Loom, as I find Sound Loom a nightmare!

I wasn't aware of that Talkbox thing Little Endian offer. Spectrumworx is very much a VST though and, although not specifically a talkbox, it'll happily do similar effects via the Shapeless and Talking Wind modules (I personally prefer the results with Shapeless). You need to run it in 4-in 2-out mode and route a second track in there. It'll impose the timbre of one sound on the frequencies of another. Incidentally, (and very much IIRC) a few of the modules in Spectrumworx are conversions of CDP processes! The exaggerator, and accumulator originated in CDP I think. Exaggerator has the same name, while the accumulator is now called either imploder or exploder in Spectrumworx. I forget which. Apologies to Little Endian if I'm off the mark here.

Return to “Effects”