Dynamic Equalizers, how many are out there and which do you use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

.jon wrote:If you need more emphasis on the attack, just add such layer to the kick.

The good kicks you hear are never just single samples.
+1

I previously had the opinion that too much layering would make things messy or lose punch, but man was I wrong. I love Polyplex for drum layering.

J-909 wrote: Still have to try Melda!
Melda Multiband Transient Designer is great.

For Dynamic Equalizers, i have 3 that i use:
- FabFilter MB Pro: to my ears the best sounding. And i love the usability of its controls.
- Neutron: just started using it, has some great features, but i'm still exploring...
- Melda Dynamic EQ: also a good option...

I use: bx_boom, Pro-MB and MAutoDynamicEq.

No worries everyone! I'll end up finding my way haha. This has become a post about kicks and how to process/synthesize them which I already know. My point was yo hear your opinions on dynamic equalizers regarding bass and sub-bass processing (for instance for kicks).

Thank you all for your comments, just waiting to try melda dynaimic eq and TB-Fix. I'll write about my view on them :wink:

I was using the Sonalksis CQ1, which was quite a competent piece of tech. However, their company as been dirmant for years and I have lost all faith so I abandoned their plugins in seek if another solution.

I ended up with Waves C6, which is like a 4-band Compressor/Expander, but has 2 floating bands of dynamic eq.

The other one I know of is Brainworx bx_dynEQ.. I haven't tried this but I heard the samples and seen the demos. It's quite competent indeed and has a few unique features up its sleeve.

Melda. :tu:

iZotope :tu:

This plugin :tu:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

That plugin :tu:

iZotope :hyper:
iZotope :party:
iZotope :borg:
iZotope :hug:
iZotope :clap:
iZotope :tu:
iZotope :love:
iZotope 8)
iZotope :o

Oh, did I mention iZotope yet?

I read thru a few of the responses. I saw where a Multiband Compressor was considered for the task, but then there was mention of it being too wide. I get that I guess. I just typically reach for Multiband Compressors more often. When I am reaching for a Dynamic EQ I go for the one in Ozone. I got the advanced version so I am able to use the Dyn EQ Standalone. When I want to duck a Bass by external sidechain I use C6 from Waves. I trigger a curve that get rid of a good portion of the low end but reinforces the lower mid range of the bass when the Kick hits. This has worked well for me this far with Funk-ish production.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

While we're on this subject, is there a difference between a 'dynamic EQ' and a 'multiband compressor' - are they not the same thing?

a dynamic eq will allow you to apply an eq curve with similar trigger controls as a compressor.
so you can have short bursts of a narrow band for example.
a multiband compressor allows you to apply compression within a frequency range.
so you have a flattish 'column' of frequencies (sometimes with rounded off corners), all getting adjusted together.

Return to “Effects”