MODO BASS: Get ready for a new level of realism (1.5 update available now)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO BASS 1

Yes, there should definitely be separate keyswitches for down and upstrokes which repeat last played key. I do agree that v1.0 shouldn't be released without that crucial feature.

It really is crucial!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
electro wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There is no repeat last note keyswitch, I will relay that as a request too.
Huge oversight. One keyswitch for Upstroke, another keyswitch for Downstroke and I wouldn't recommend a 1.0 release before it gets implemented.
This doesn't make it difficult at all to get a realistic performance, though I do appreciate and will relay the suggestion.
it doesn't make it difficult to get it after the fact, but it does make it difficult to play live. retrigger keyswitch is a life saver in sampled basses.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, there should definitely be separate keyswitches for down and upstrokes which repeat last played key. I do agree that v1.0 shouldn't be released without that crucial feature.

It really is crucial!
If talking about Up/Downstrokes for a pick bass, I'd also suggest having a keyswitch to automatically alternate between down and upstrokes. When playing, something with steady 8ths, I could be alternating throughout the whole song. It would be annoying to have to constantly flip back and forth between keystrokes. It'd be much better if the engine could set itself to automatically alternate based on a keyswitch.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: If talking about Up/Downstrokes for a pick bass, I'd also suggest having a keyswitch to automatically alternate between down and upstrokes. When playing, something with steady 8ths, I could be alternating throughout the whole song. It would be annoying to have to constantly flip back and forth between keystrokes. It'd be much better if the engine could set itself to automatically alternate based on a keyswitch.
You can control whether the stroke is alternate, up, or down in the Play Style section and there are separate keyswitches for up and down stroke.

Peter you told me that a "monster slap bass demo" was coming. When are you expecting it to come?

Hans25 wrote:Peter you told me that a "monster slap bass demo" was coming. When are you expecting it to come?
I don't have a specific date, I was only told that there would be one. (edit but I will ping the team about it of course)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I was only told that there would be one

Now all we need to complete the collection is:

* Acoustic bass and upright bass
* Electric and acoustic guitars

As for drums, there are some fantastic drumkit instruments out there but physical models would be really nice if they sound authentic.

An entire virtual rock band on less than 1GB of disk space and near infinite playing styles/expressions/nuances...tell me, am I dreaming?

;)
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Compyfox wrote:...a later state for "MODO Bass Beta" or something, where we can get a Steinberger, an Upright, Broomstick, Chapman Stick, etc.
Not forgetting - and purely for the younger generation here - MoonOnA Stick. To be called IK MOAS Bass, natch. Release date 1st April 2017. Pre-order now. :)
I'd also add to the people that want an "auto hammer on/pull off" (or auto HOPO in short) feature. This adds so much life for guitar VSTi and samples.
As long as it's an optional feature. I have one bass library which does auto hammer-ons/pull-offs only - I don't use it that much.

:roll: on the 1st April thing...

Regarding HOPO's... you could program it to only span 3-5 frets (configurable of course), with a keyswitch to turn it on/off at will. In fact, Musiclab's guitars have that feature, and I use it pretty much daily.

Here, a manual would really help at this point... less of a guessing game what we can do and what not. Especially if you want possible customers to preorder.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

benjamind wrote:Now all we need to complete the collection is:

As for drums, there are some fantastic drumkit instruments out there but physical models would be really nice if they sound authentic.

An entire virtual rock band on less than 1GB of disk space and near infinite playing styles/expressions/nuances...tell me, am I dreaming?

;)
I'm actually anticipating this, eventually. Not only is the demand there, but IK have also made a name for themselves in guitar amp emulation, so it seems a natural stage of progress.

I do think MODO Bass is the closest anyone has gotten a realistic bass sound using physical modelling techniques. In my opinion, at least.

The true test will be in the transition between notes and in pitchbends. I'm certainly hoping IK has done their homework there, because this is usually where sampled basses also fall apart.

Compyfox wrote:Here, a manual would really help at this point... less of a guessing game what we can do and what not. Especially if you want possible customers to preorder.
IK Multimedia hasn't done that in the past, but I hope there is a change of policy - it could answer a lot of queries and help boost pre-orders (and, later on, orders).

---------------------
General rant (not IKM-specific):
I find it much quicker to flick through a PDF user manual than to post a detailed question on a forum and wait for an answer or to watch one or more videos, never knowing if the specific function will be covered in the video.

User Manuals are like free advertisements for the product.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Are there any naked audio demos out there?

Hi Peter, a(nother!) request:

Slide noises (just the finger-on-string noises, no notes). Being able to throw in a few of these makes a huge difference in realism and connectivity of performance.

UX implementation would be easy once the method of model triggering has been decided upon:

- a keyswitch for one-off slide noise;
- direction and interval of the slide noise are determined by the performance note following the keyswitch note;
- speed of slide noise is determined by the velocity of the performance note following the keyswitch note; and
- amplitude (i.e. via fretting-hand finger pressure) of the slide noise is determined by the velocity of the keyswitch note.

From what I've heard in the demos, adding this feature alone would make the VI truly indistinguishable from real performance, even to most trained ears.

benjamind wrote:Now all we need to complete the collection is:

;)
And fretless (unless I missed it, as I'm not super up to speed on bass guitar models like a real bass player would be)

Brent
My host is better than your host

Return to “Instruments”