Arturia synth development.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
Robmobius wrote: But I will compare Arturia synths to their modern counterparts and say they are now quite far behind (imo).
So, this is just your opinion, since you have no knowledge whatsoever about the hardware couterparts? Wold you be surprised if I say to you, that, for example, the Arturia Jupier-8 V is the closest software where you can pick a real Jupiter-8 patch sheet and create a sound similar to the hardware out of it? Tha same can be said about the Minimoog V, and several others. So, your opinion is just that, your opinion. You din't like Arturia synths? Fine. That doesn't make them inferior, since you aren't any kind of taste ruler.

FWIW, the Matrix V, Prophet V (with the hybrid approach), Minimoog Modular, etc, have no competition in the market, so, no matter how good they are, they are the best emulations available, period.

Arturia passed for a difficult period after they lost their main (or one of their main) developer (Xavier Oudin), Only recently (like a couple of years ago or little more than that) did they manage to find substitutes. So, I'm really optimistice rgarding the future of Arturia synths.
What....? You jumped the gun there bud. By modern counterparts I'm referring to other softies and developers. I've no interest in comparing Artuia soft synths to their actual hardware counter parts. That sounds like far too much hard work. Have at it tho', if that's your thing. :tu:

Let me try and break it down for you. I don't like Artura's soft synths, especially at what's on offer today - Uhe, Xils, Tone2, Xfer, (I could go on). If you love them, pat yourself on the back and say 'well done'. But as you're no kind of 'Taste Ruler' either, that doesn't make them in anyway 'superior'.
'So, your opinion is just that, your opinion.' Just going on your own logic.

Also, thanks for letting me know that I've had no hardware experience. I must have dreamt up the time I used the Jupiter 8 in a mates house. Damn, I must be getting old. :lol:

The mini-moog modular has no competition you say? So what... I don't have any garden Gnomes btw. I don't like it, so I never bought it.

Genuinely sorry to hear about Xavier. But I can't say I'm optimistic about Arturia on the software front. Considering the few I own, I never use. Thier hardware looks far more appealing.

But I have to disagree with you when you say I'm not the ultimate 'taste ruler'. Because the first thing everyone on KVR always asks, when any new synth is released, is good enough for Rob to use? If not, then no one will buy it. In fact. I have a special phone in my house so devs can phone me up and ask to chek their new synth sounds. Ugh... :?

Must just cut you up inside when someone dislikes Arturia softies. :) Unfortunately, I'm not alone in my 'taste ruling' as you've pointed out, at yet another Arturia bashing thread'. :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

BTW, they did released an interview/ad with one of their developers - Stefano, who did the new filter code on Mini V3. If I'm reading it correctly, they decided not to go on a ZDF filter, and use another design, not so perfect, but easier on CPU.

https://www.arturia.com/mini-v/behindth ... r_picture2
Last edited by waltercruz on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
SLiC wrote: Personally I think all VST's (including Diva and legend and Monark which I own) sound very different to the real thing; I have a ton of real analogue and most people can tell the difference on my studio speakers through my desk.....very, very few can tell the difference once a synth is in a mix...the vast majority of listener could be fooled by (or even prefer!) say the mini V over a real moog (or in reality wouldn't care!), its only us gearslutz that care how the oscillators drift at 50Hz!
Any decent engineer should be able to make anything sound vaguely decent. But using better quality synths will get you there faster, and will probably have a better tone (or one I'd prefer)). Do you need it? Not necessarily, use whatever you want.

And no many people would care either way as long as it sounds good, so I agree with you in part.

Diva, does a bit of everything. Diva sounds like Diva, but it's a bloody good analog emulation.

But I'd love to hear a test comparison with the SEM V Vs. A real one, on a piece of music like 80s influenced Drokk (with minimal external instruments, etc). Are you telling me you wouldn't hear the difference?

Anyway, it's all about opinions. I don't like Arturia you do... Enjoy the bundle, I won't. It's all good! :tu:
I think you missed the point of my e-mail- I use real analogue (Prophet 8, Moog and a rather large modular!) as I can hear the difference and I like using hardware. I don't think any VST's (including Diva) have nailed analogue at studio quality, although Legend gets closest IMO due to a very focused model. If you really care about the sound of a synth (rather than the song or the context) get the real thing; you can get real analogue now for the cost of a handful of VSTs....there has never been a better time for cheap analogue hardware (I went from in the box to mainly hardware...you cab get the SEM sound in Eurorack format :D )
Apologies... I wholeheartedly agree with you. I still believe that hardware pips software. But I do love my software conveniences. Yep, in a mix it's very hard to tell. :tu:

Sorry again.

PS - Legend is fantastic!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
SLiC wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
SLiC wrote: Personally I think all VST's (including Diva and legend and Monark which I own) sound very different to the real thing; I have a ton of real analogue and most people can tell the difference on my studio speakers through my desk.....very, very few can tell the difference once a synth is in a mix...the vast majority of listener could be fooled by (or even prefer!) say the mini V over a real moog (or in reality wouldn't care!), its only us gearslutz that care how the oscillators drift at 50Hz!
Any decent engineer should be able to make anything sound vaguely decent. But using better quality synths will get you there faster, and will probably have a better tone (or one I'd prefer)). Do you need it? Not necessarily, use whatever you want.

And no many people would care either way as long as it sounds good, so I agree with you in part.

Diva, does a bit of everything. Diva sounds like Diva, but it's a bloody good analog emulation.

But I'd love to hear a test comparison with the SEM V Vs. A real one, on a piece of music like 80s influenced Drokk (with minimal external instruments, etc). Are you telling me you wouldn't hear the difference?

Anyway, it's all about opinions. I don't like Arturia you do... Enjoy the bundle, I won't. It's all good! :tu:
I think you missed the point of my e-mail- I use real analogue (Prophet 8, Moog and a rather large modular!) as I can hear the difference and I like using hardware. I don't think any VST's (including Diva) have nailed analogue at studio quality, although Legend gets closest IMO due to a very focused model. If you really care about the sound of a synth (rather than the song or the context) get the real thing; you can get real analogue now for the cost of a handful of VSTs....there has never been a better time for cheap analogue hardware (I went from in the box to mainly hardware...you cab get the SEM sound in Eurorack format :D )
Apologies... I wholeheartedly agree with you. I still believe that hardware pips software. But I do love my software conveniences. Yep, in a mix it's very hard to tell. :tu:

Sorry again.

PS - Legend is fantastic!
No worries, I think most will agree Arturia isn't the best 'state of the art' emulation, but still sounds pretty good and there is a ton of variety in the collection with a few gems.

I would be interested to hear Legend (or any VST, even Arturia :wink: ) through the new Electron Analogue Heat (which works via overbridge as a plug in in your standard plug in chain). It adds real analogue overdrive (from subtle driven desk to harsh), EQ and Filter...that may get pretty close to 'the real thing' with VST convenience...but nothing beats the satisfaction of plugging in a real patch lead (+ if it wasn't for hardware my home studio wouldn't look like a studio! :D )
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Robmobius wrote:
bobhva wrote:My only complaint with some younger people these days is the lack of respect for people that have more life experience than them.
What an obnoxious and cliche thing to say... Think that people owe you something because of your gargantuan age? Nobody owes you or me anything.

But what do you expect from the aged? 'We have all the answers...'

I'm sure your special 'life experience' has so much to offer de' kidz. :roll:
Did you even read bobhva's post? Because you seemed to completely look past the point of his post and clinge on to a choice of words he made, because it sounded "cliche" in your mind... A choice of words characteristic to "a millennial" by the way. :wink:

In short, he made a good point about putting things in perspective and appreciating the abundance of software emulations we have access to today, versus how difficult and expensive it was to get your hands on those old synths back in the day. Today.

Besides that, you can't generalize, that all old people push their views and life experiences on younger generations.

It's very likely those "old people" you talk about, never received education like you have today, but they made up for that in experience and common sense in their life.
So, even if they might be stuck to their old ways, like thinking that one race is superior to another, few actually try to push those ideas on young people. They seem to value common sense much more, because that's what they've had to rely on more in their lives.

In fact, there are surprisingly many old people, who are open to young people's ideas and even think young people are much more informed and wiser than the previous generation. Still, they want to share their experience, common sense and yes, perspective, when they think the youth will benefit from that.

When we generalize or call someone stupid, we often forget to first think about the perspective. Where and when someone is coming from, what they might have been through, what they might have relied on the path of their life, what they might have seen, or what they might have missed and how that affects their views now.

Aryaroman wrote: Did you even read bobhva's post? Because you seemed to completely look past the point of his post and clinge on to a choice of words he made, because it sounded "cliche" in your mind... A choice of words characteristic to "a millennial" by the way. :wink:
Nah... I just skimmed it to be honest. Once I hear the words 'I'm an older guy'. That's enough...
Aryaroman wrote: In fact, there are surprisingly many old people, who are open to young people's ideas and even think young people are much more informed and wiser than the previous generation. Still, they want to share their experience, common sense and yes, perspective, when they think the youth will benefit from that.

When we generalize or call someone stupid, we often forget to first think about the perspective. Where and when someone is coming from, what they might have been through, what they might have relied on the path of their life, what they might have seen, or what they might have missed and how that affects their views now.
Wow… I never considered that. So, what your are basically saying is that old people have more uses then Soylent Green?

SLiC wrote:
I would be interested to hear Legend (or any VST, even Arturia :wink: ) through the new Electron Analogue Heat (which works via overbridge as a plug in in your standard plug in chain). It adds real analogue overdrive (from subtle driven desk to harsh), EQ and Filter...that may get pretty close to 'the real thing' with VST convenience...but nothing beats the satisfaction of plugging in a real patch lead (+ if it wasn't for hardware my home studio wouldn't look like a studio! :D )
That thing looks class! I'm a sucker for proper analog distortion, the demos sound brilliant too. :) 799e it's expensive but I'm actually tempted. Thanks for the info'.

I think the Arturia is good bang for your buck, but I'd only really want Synclavier. I have Solina and SEM V. SEM is okay. But I quite like Solina though.

Robmobius wrote:
SLiC wrote:
That thing looks class! I'm a sucker for proper analog distortion, the demos sound brilliant too. :) 799e it's expensive but I'm actually tempted. Thanks for the info'.

I think the Arturia is good bang for your buck, but I'd only really want Synclavier. I have Solina and SEM V. SEM is okay. But I quite like Solina though.
One last top tip (although I am only 50 so what do I know :wink: ) try a modelled 70 verb on retro VST's (switch of the Artura verbs and effects)- this one is very good and cheap - http://www.audiority.com/shop/polaris/ and sounds great on Legend (try the Boston Hall pre-set- there is a demo you can download, warning- I did then bought it!!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Robmobius wrote:
Aryaroman wrote: Did you even read bobhva's post? Because you seemed to completely look past the point of his post and clinge on to a choice of words he made, because it sounded "cliche" in your mind... A choice of words characteristic to "a millennial" by the way. :wink:
Nah... I just skimmed it to be honest. Once I hear the words 'I'm an older guy'. That's enough...
Well, at least you're honest. But next time, maybe consider giving an "older guy" a chance?
Robmobius wrote:
Aryaroman wrote: In fact, there are surprisingly many old people, who are open to young people's ideas and even think young people are much more informed and wiser than the previous generation. Still, they want to share their experience, common sense and yes, perspective, when they think the youth will benefit from that.

Wow… I never considered that. So, what your are basically saying is that old people have more uses then Soylent Green?
By your logic, because David Attenborough is old, he should be made into Soylent Green. Well, unless you think you can absorb David's experience and wisdom (I would like to) from Soylent Green, then yes, I do think it's wise to have them stick (pun intended) around. Or at least their brains, which I assume you also want to turn into Soylent Green.

One of the far-future things I most fear, is simply the day, when we no longer have people who remember or lived before the 21th century. I fear the day, when the world is populated by millennials, who grew up with Nikki Minaj, David Guetta, Big Brother, social media, cat videos and iPhone instead of the sticks, radio-plays, melodicas, Chaplin, Detective Morse, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Marc Bolan, Small Faces, Boston, Shirley Bassey, Led Zeppelin...

Robmobius wrote:Wow… I never considered that. So, what your are basically saying is that old people have more uses then Soylent Green?
In my day, Soylent was made out of people. Now it's just some tasteless oatmeal drink.

SLiC wrote:.
One last top tip (although I am only 50 so what do I know :wink: ) try a modelled 70 verb on retro VST's (switch of the Artura verbs and effects)- this one is very good and cheap - http://www.audiority.com/shop/polaris/ and sounds great on Legend (try the Boston Hall pre-set- there is a demo you can download, warning- I did then bought it!!).
Well, me being 45 you probably know a little more than me. :tu:

Ooooh... Polaris. That's very cheap for a reverb and the demos sound lovely. Thanks. :)
Last edited by Robmobius on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryaroman wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Well, at least you're honest. But next time, maybe consider giving an "older guy" a chance?
Robmobius wrote:

By your logic, because David Attenborough is old, he should be made into Soylent Green. Well, unless you think you can absorb David's experience and wisdom (I would like to) from Soylent Green, then yes, I do think it's wise to have them stick (pun intended) around. Or at least their brains, which I assume you also want to turn into Soylent Green.

One of the far-future things I most fear, is simply the day, when we no longer have people who remember or lived before the 21th century. I fear the day, when the world is populated by millennials, who grew up with Nikki Minaj, David Guetta, Big Brother, social media, cat videos and iPhone instead of the sticks, radio-plays, melodicas, Chaplin, Detective Morse, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Marc Bolan, Small Faces, Boston, Shirley Bassey, Led Zeppelin...
You do realize that I'm being sarcastic? I'm in my mid-forties. :lol:

The millennials have already stomped on your dreams I'm afraid. 80's Horror is no longer. :(
Gamma-UT wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Wow… I never considered that. So, what your are basically saying is that old people have more uses then Soylent Green?
In my day, Soylent was made out of people. Now it's just some tasteless oatmeal drink.
:D

Robmobius wrote:You do realize that I'm being sarcastic? I'm in my mid-forties. :lol:
Nope, completely missed that. I thought you were in your mid-puberty.

The millennials have already stomped on your dreams I'm afraid. 80's Horror is no longer. :([/quote]

On the contrary, isn't it one of the few things which have been revived, along with other 80s quirks? Synthwave/Outrun? Stranger Things? Drive? The Thing? MacGyver?

Or did someone stomp on my VHS collection... Nope, still intact. I don't understand your statement that 80s horror is no longer. I tought it's living a new golden age.
Side-note, I prefer the 70s to 80s in a lot of things, despite my fascination in synthwave. The 70s had some truly horror-movie classics, from the european horror movies, Dario Argenti's films, Wicker Man, etc. to Alien. But off-topic now.

fmr wrote:Another Arturia bashing thread (out of nowhere). WE can't get enough of them :roll:
Well, we haven't had one of those for quite some time so it's long overdo. :hihi:
No signature here!

Robmobius wrote: Also, thanks for letting me know that I've had no hardware experience. I must have dreamt up the time I used the Jupiter 8 in a mates house. Damn, I must be getting old. :lol:
So, you used a Jupiter-8? Good for you. Unfortunately you seem to have learned nothing with it.
Robmobius wrote: The mini-moog modular has no competition you say? So what... I don't have any garden Gnomes btw. I don't like it, so I never bought it.
It's not a mini-moog modular. The name is Moog Modular. Moog is the name of the guy who made them, and the Mini was an after thought for those who wanted a pre-wired portable synth they could carry with them, instead of the mamoth modular systems - those are the modulars, and the Moog Modular was modeled after the Moog System 55 - https://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/system-55/. Again, you show your ignorance.
Robmobius wrote: Genuinely sorry to hear about Xavier. But I can't say I'm optimistic about Arturia on the software front. Considering the few I own, I never use. Thier hardware looks far more appealing.
Sorry why? He is alive and well. He left to found his own company. Tt's called Xils-Lab, I think you know it (you mentioned Xils, but apparently you don't know who is Xils :hihi: . BTW - he was one of the main programmers of the Mini you bashed out so quickly. Apparently, he learned a few things after he left :roll:
Robmobius wrote: Must just cut you up inside when someone dislikes Arturia softies. :) Unfortunately, I'm not alone in my 'taste ruling' as you've pointed out, at yet another Arturia bashing thread'. :D
No, you're not alone. Unfortunatley, you don't have the exclusivity of trollness. You have a few "fellas" around here. You're not many, but you make a lot of noise, as usual.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”