Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

The distortion unit is supposed to mimic filter drive. it does have funny envelope behavior, and modulation behavior as well, but it's the only modern dance synth I know of that allows you to use the oscillators as modulators (giving away state secrets here). Although, it does needs higher resolution to take full advantage of it. It can be a bit fiddly with tuning such modulations and it has troubles tracking across the board when you do find something good. It's so much fun though, and the filter algorithms are so good I forgive them for such things. They are catering to a certain under age crowd after all.

Dasheesh wrote:The distortion unit is supposed to mimic filter drive. it does have funny envelope behavior, and modulation behavior as well, but it's the only modern dance synth I know of that allows you to use the oscillators as modulators (giving away state secrets here). Although, it does needs higher resolution to take full advantage of it. It can be a bit fiddly with tuning such modulations and it has troubles tracking across the board when you do find something good. It's so much fun though, and the filter algorithms are so good I forgive them for such things. They are catering to a certain under age crowd after all.
How do you set up things? Filter envelope is controlling the drive amount? What the oscillators as mod sources are supposed to do in this scenario?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:The distortion unit is supposed to mimic filter drive. it does have funny envelope behavior, and modulation behavior as well, but it's the only modern dance synth I know of that allows you to use the oscillators as modulators (giving away state secrets here). Although, it does needs higher resolution to take full advantage of it. It can be a bit fiddly with tuning such modulations and it has troubles tracking across the board when you do find something good. It's so much fun though, and the filter algorithms are so good I forgive them for such things. They are catering to a certain under age crowd after all.
How do you set up things? Filter envelope is controlling the drive amount? What the oscillators as mod sources are supposed to do in this scenario?

Just like a moog. The distortion unit is simply an effect, but there are many types of models to give the sound of being over driven and then combine it with compressor to give it it real UMPH. The biggest thing about spire is it allows for many more modulations than would normally be available on todays cpu efficient dance synths, but it takes a lot of fiddling and tuning with spire, because it needs faster, smoother modulation rates. Higher resolution is very actuate but I'm not sure if that is in the audio rates, bit depth, or what. The envelopes are designed to be supper snappy, and so every one just makes those little dance plucks, but my goodness this thing is so capable of more. People have to be getting tired of the same old, same old by now.

^^sorry for spelling, I'm going too fast. Corrected my typing for you.

Dasheesh wrote: The biggest thing about spire is it allows for many more modulations than would normally be available on todays cpu efficient dance synths, but it takes a lot of fiddling and tuning with spire, because it needs faster, smoother modulation rates.
Yeah, that's for sure. I love fiddling with LFOs, there are many shapes available and the moduilations don't fall apart at high speed, e.g., it is possible to fake certain sounds made in Virus with two oscillator FM by using one osc modulated by LFO in Spire.

Indeed, Spire has much more flexible and precise engine than required for typical "dance" sounds, people who dimiss it as "yet another tarnce mashine" are doing themselves a disservice

I wanted to download the demo and the download manager said it was 500+ MB. Is that correct? Would be veeery large for such a synth. Needless to say I canceled the download right away :hihi:

I usually just set oscillator one to a mod source off the bat. Hit the filter, other oscillators...what have you. It can be quite fiddly though like I said. It may take you a minute to find what works.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I wanted to download the demo and the download manager said it was 500+ MB. Is that correct? Would be veeery large for such a synth. Needless to say I canceled the download right away :hihi:

It's around 385.

Strange, I think it said 570. Even your number would be huge for that type of synth. It is not some sample library...

363 - Mac version, 572 - Win package (32 + 64 bit)

I believe the installer includes all versions VST (32/64-bit), AAX, and AU (for the Mac d/l). That's probably why it seems excessive.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I believe the installer includes all versions VST (32/64-bit), AAX, and AU (for the Mac d/l). That's probably why it seems excessive.
Can't they offer separate download links for all those versions the way most developers do? Not only would it reduce the burden on (potential) customers' side, it would also reduce their own server load and maybe speed up downloads.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
cryophonik wrote:I believe the installer includes all versions VST (32/64-bit), AAX, and AU (for the Mac d/l). That's probably why it seems excessive.
Can't they offer separate download links for all those versions the way most developers do? Not only would it reduce the burden on (potential) customers' side, it would also reduce their own server load and maybe speed up downloads.
Yeah, that would be nice. I would guess that the majority of their users would only want a single version.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

nope.
I at least want vst 32 and 64 in one package.... pain in the ass to have to download two for every plugin that comes that way.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:nope.
I at least want vst 32 and 64 in one package.... pain in the ass to have to download two for every plugin that comes that way.
rsp
Well, I use both PC and Mac, with Sonar, Logic, and PT, so I'm probably an extreme outlier that has to download all/most versions, but I still don't find it to be a PITA in the grand scheme of things to download them individually. FabFilter does it this way and it's fine with me. Oh well, the Spire folks have decided to bundle them, so whatever. :)

Return to “Instruments”