USB flash drives for Virtual Instrument Libraries?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody using flash drives to play their samples? I have Komplete 9 and will be getting Spectrasonics Keyscape, and would love to just be able to bring a flash drive, instead of a external drive to sessions/gigs....Seems like flash drives are getting faster by the month, any reason this wouldn't work?

highnotes83 wrote:Anybody using flash drives to play their samples? I have Komplete 9 and will be getting Spectrasonics Keyscape, and would love to just be able to bring a flash drive, instead of a external drive to sessions/gigs....Seems like flash drives are getting faster by the month, any reason this wouldn't work?
I got about 60GB of UVI libs, I couldn't fit that on my SSD, so I put those on an SD card instead, that works well, loads fast, and have had no problem with lag of any kind

I also run many third party Kontakt libs from USB sticks, that works well too.

But I am not sure how well such portability will work with Spectrasonic products or Komplete, as those products must be installed

Nice! I dont have a problem installing the actual plug-in on my system disk, more so just the library I wanted to have on a flash drive. Sounds like its no problem :-)

Just fitted the new UVI Synth Anthology 2 on an SD card today, and it runs well.

A bit of high CPU usage, but I think that is more down to the lib than the SD card.

Nice - you can pick up a 256GB highspeed drive for £60 these days - wonder how long they would last though if accessed daily?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay-Pr ... h+sd+256gb

My MacMini has a built in SD card port - not sure what sort of buss that uses though

flash memory doesn't usually degrade because of its age, but rather because of the number of write cycles, which means the more you delete and write new information, the more quickly the memory in the device will start to degrade.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”